Coto Drama Sold To Fox
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Braga Inks Deal
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Remastered Original Series Re-release
By: T'Bonz on Sep 11

UK Trek Ships Calendar Debuts
By: T'Bonz on Sep 10

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old October 30 2013, 08:40 AM   #226
CommishSleer
Fleet Captain

View CommishSleer's Twitter Profile
Re: Bob Orci: Spoke with CBS about returning Trek To TV

Shazam! wrote: View Post
The Umbrella Corporation wrote: View Post
the main intent of the article is to blame the writers (Orci) and to point out every show Dickerson could think of where the writing was better.
No it wasn't. Here are the ONLY comments in the article directed at the writers:

A lot of critical barbs were aimed at the writers of Star Trek Into Darkness about the script and plot of the film. I won’t join in that chorus, because writing a multi-billion dollar film is something I have never had to do. The pressure must be IMMENSE, and there are many hoops that you have to jump through to produce a script for such a project.
...yet Orci still blew his lid over it : /
There's a big but on that though...
He was saying how good TV writers were compared with movie writers. The main point of the article that Star Trek should be back on TV with better writers (than Orci and Kurtman)
He said this after saying that at the Vegas convention the fans unanimously said that STID was the worst Star Trek movie ever.
While he didn't name Orci in particular it doesn't take Einstein to work out who he was talking about.

I actually don't have a problem with him criticizing the writing of the movies - thats obviously his opinion and he's entitled to it. He wasn't being disrespectful. I just don't like the lie by omission about the Vegas 'unanimous' vote.

I can understand why Orci might have been cheesed off because he got the criticism. Maybe not by just the article but the 300 wannabe comments
CommishSleer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30 2013, 12:06 PM   #227
Photoman15
Fleet Captain

Timewalker wrote: View Post

I am showing skepticism that he has any sort of basis for his opinion. If he can show me that Takei had previous experience as the lead actor on a TV series and failed to carry it off, I'd love to know about it. If not, where does he get any kind of evidence to base his opinion on?
U kidding? The only more wooden actor in FLASHBACK was GLW. He's a good 3rd banana, but would never be able to pull off a lead. And people say Shatner was bad? Shatner is actually a very good actor, but he's since been playing a parody of Shatner/Kirk, because it's popular. Look at Boston Legal.
Old October 30 2013, 12:22 PM   #228
Timewalker
Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady

Photoman15 wrote: View Post
Timewalker wrote: View Post

I am showing skepticism that he has any sort of basis for his opinion. If he can show me that Takei had previous experience as the lead actor on a TV series and failed to carry it off, I'd love to know about it. If not, where does he get any kind of evidence to base his opinion on?
U kidding? The only more wooden actor in FLASHBACK was GLW. He's a good 3rd banana, but would never be able to pull off a lead. And people say Shatner was bad? Shatner is actually a very good actor, but he's since been playing a parody of Shatner/Kirk, because it's popular. Look at Boston Legal.
I agree that Grace Lee Whitney's performance was bad. Obviously I disagree with you about George Takei.

I didn't see the whole Boston Legal series, but thoroughly enjoyed what I did see (the TV died). But in all honesty, I was watching it more for James Spader.

For some great Original Series fanfic, check out the Valjiir Continuum!
Timewalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30 2013, 12:31 PM   #229
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.

Spader was utterly hot.

But Shatner.. he was like a wonderful present every single episode.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31 2013, 02:53 AM   #230
Set Harth
Rear Admiral

The Umbrella Corporation wrote:
There's a big but on that though...
I like big buts.
Old October 31 2013, 10:10 PM   #231
Shaka Zulu
Fleet Captain

BillJ wrote: View Post
I'd rather he tell the shitty fans to fuck off. Just because they don't like something does give them the right to abuse the writers.
Agreed. They also need to get a life and learn about scriptwriting, and also about how media franchises are handled.

Photoman15 wrote: View Post
If Takei was so bad, then why was he the head of a Asian-American theatre group in LA for many years? Also, why was he in a lot of plays over his career (many of them not dinner theatre, either)?

Last edited by M'Sharak; October 31 2013 at 10:49 PM. Reason: to remove extra formatting tag, clarify quote attribution
Shaka Zulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31 2013, 10:21 PM   #232
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Bloody Shaka wrote: View Post

If Takei was so bad, then why was he the head of a Asian-American theatre group in LA for many years? Also, why was he in a lot of plays over his career (many of them not dinner theatre, either)?
Just because someone isn't lead material doesn't mean they aren't good actors.
Old October 31 2013, 11:59 PM   #233
Noname Given
Vice Admiral

Why was he the head? probably because he DOES have name recognition; and that helps publicity wise in anything.

And just because he's not considered a great lead actor (for a TV series); it doesn't mean he's a bad actor. But to be honest, over the years, I think the name recognition from Star Trek has helped more than its hurt his career.
Noname Given is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2 2013, 04:21 AM   #234
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

Noname Given wrote: View Post
Why was he the head? probably because he DOES have name recognition; and that helps publicity wise in anything.

And just because he's not considered a great lead actor (for a TV series); it doesn't mean he's a bad actor. But to be honest, over the years, I think the name recognition from Star Trek has helped more than its hurt his career.
He and Shatner managed to turn themselves into brands.
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 2 2013, 01:09 PM   #235
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

Agreed. They also need to get a life and learn about scriptwriting, and also about how media franchises are handled.
Most scriptwriters I talked to don't think their scripts are well made.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2 2013, 03:59 PM   #236
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

How many of those scriptwriters have written films grossing in the millions of dollars?
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Old November 2 2013, 06:35 PM   #237
BillJ
Admiral

JarodRussell wrote: View Post
Geoff Peterson wrote: View Post
How many of those scriptwriters have written films grossing in the millions of dollars?
How would anyone know? The script is a blueprint, but many times what makes it to the screen is far different that what's on written on the page.

Does anyone have any draft that Orci, Kurtzman and Lindelof turned in to compare to what was on screen?
Old November 2 2013, 06:57 PM   #238
Shazam!
Rear Admiral

If the answer is 'no' are they therefore immune to criticism?
Shazam! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2 2013, 07:06 PM   #239
BillJ
Admiral

No they aren't immune to criticism. But people should realize that they just didn't get to write the movie they wanted with no input from the studio or director.

Generally, I'm not a fan of Moore and Braga, but I'm sure not going to blame them for the train wreck that is Star Trek: Generations when multiple reports have it that they were essentially handed a checklist of things they needed to accomplish from the studio before ever writing a single-page.

Orci, Kurtzman and Lindelof were part of a much bigger puzzle and I'm not going to hang my opinion of the quality of Star Trek Into Darkness on them entirely, good or bad.

Which is why this comment...

JarodRussell wrote: View Post
...is non-sense.

Unless they're actually working with them or have access to the scripts before the studio and director alter them, they have no real idea about the quality of the scripts written.
Old November 2 2013, 08:22 PM   #240
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

No they arent. So, maybe you should retire that particular comeback, since no one is claiming they can't be criticized.

Success means something. Lindelof, Orci and Kurtzman are in demand as writers and producers. People like their work both in and outside the industry. That some anonymous screenwriters allegedly don't like their work doesn't mean much.