TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old October 26 2013, 04:45 AM   #31
Nebusj
Rear Admiral

View Nebusj's Twitter Profile
Re: Unidentified Spacecraft in Into Darkness

Dick_Valentine wrote: View Post
Errr I assume I'm late to the party on this one but......

Why is there a RED ship?
How else are they going to harvest red matter?
Nebusj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26 2013, 05:00 AM   #32
F. King Daniel
Admiral

Why is there a RED ship?
I'm guessing it was built on Vulcan. It's the same coloration that the Vulcan ships in Star Trek: Enterprise (one of which is seen very briefly in the Vulcan sky in ST'09) have.
Old October 26 2013, 05:27 AM   #33
Cookies and Cake
Admiral

Red ship = 4we50me!!!
Old October 26 2013, 07:41 AM   #34
Avro Arrow
Fleet Captain

Why is there a RED ship?
Oh, that's just Captain von Richthofen's ship...
Avro Arrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26 2013, 10:20 AM   #35
saddestmoon
Lieutenant Commander

Why is there a RED ship?
Very good question! Check out a thread I started on the mysterious red ship, also seen at the spacedock:

http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=213985
saddestmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26 2013, 01:15 PM   #36
Captain Jed R.
Lieutenant Commander

The red did confuse me a bit, I admit. Although it could be that there's a really funny story behind that red starship. Damn, that'd be cool to see.

Wibble.
Captain Jed R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26 2013, 02:28 PM   #37
Chemahkuu
Vice Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Chemahkuu

It just got back from killing the space amoeba, they haven't cleaned it off yet.
Old October 26 2013, 02:34 PM   #38
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Captain Jed R. wrote: View Post
The Sovereign design shares many similarities with the Galaxy design, in terms of hull detail, shapes used.
I'm curious as to what exact design, shape and hull details are consistent between the Galaxy and Sovereign classes? Beyond them sharing the same basic configuation (saucer, secondary hull, nacelles) that all Jefferies-inspired ships have.
Old October 26 2013, 03:34 PM   #39
Captain Jed R.
Lieutenant Commander

BillJ wrote: View Post
The Sovereign design shares many similarities with the Galaxy design, in terms of hull detail, shapes used.
I'm curious as to what exact design, shape and hull details are consistent between the Galaxy and Sovereign classes? Beyond them sharing the same basic configuation (saucer, secondary hull, nacelles) that all Jefferies-inspired ships have.
The saucer is basically the same shape, albeit rotated 90 degrees. Similar phaser strips to most ships of the era, including the E-D which started the trend. It's nacelles are more consistent with Voyager but still similar (in fact, Voyager seems to have some intermediary elements - same hull colour as D, similar nacelles to E). Similar hull details also exist in the existence of the escape pods. Let's not ignore that it's also designed to be evocative of earlier designs: yay for the Excelsior esque secondary hull, the extended nacelle pylons similar to Constitution-refit... it looks like a member of the fleet, it looks post-TNG, it looks consistent. To me, anyway. Differing perspectives et al.

Wibble.
Captain Jed R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26 2013, 03:43 PM   #40
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

The saucer is basically the same shape, albeit rotated 90 degrees. Similar phaser strips to most ships of the era, including the E-D which started the trend. It's nacelles are more consistent with Voyager but still similar (in fact, Voyager seems to have some intermediary elements - same hull colour as D, similar nacelles to E). Similar hull details also exist in the existence of the escape pods. Let's not ignore that it's also designed to be evocative of earlier designs: yay for the Excelsior esque secondary hull, the extended nacelle pylons similar to Constitution-refit... it looks like a member of the fleet, it looks post-TNG, it looks consistent. To me, anyway. Differing perspectives et al.
It really looks nothing like the Galaxy-class. As a matter-of-fact on these boards numerous times, I've described the Sovereign-class as them taking the Excelsior, Constitution-refit and Intrepid-classes smashing them together and then stomping on it.

The design has none of the grace of the Galaxy-class and felt like a major step backwards. For something that actually looks like an evolution of the Galaxy-class, you should go to the Trek Art forum and take a look at the Grandeur-class designed by Vektor. In my mind, that is what the Enterprise-E looks like.

http://www.trekbbs.com/showpost.php?...postcount=1271
Old October 26 2013, 04:21 PM   #41
F. King Daniel
Admiral

I also don't see an NX/Connie/Refit/Excelsior/Ambassador/Galaxy/Sovereign evolution. I see evolution from NX-class to Akira class (with FASA's Loknar in-between), one from Excelsior to Sovereign (the latter coming with a half-sized version, Voyager and a mini version, Nova), from Constitution to Ambassador etc etc.

And of course, if the Sovereign can have the 2 smaller sister classes Intrepid and Nova, why can't the AU Starfleet have decided to make the Constitution-class a Sovereign-scale ship in one timeline and an Intrepid-scale ship in another? Particularly with different people with different ideals running Starfleet in the two histories (Admiral Nogura and Admiral Marcus)
Old October 26 2013, 04:50 PM   #42
Ar-Pharazon
Rear Admiral

Why is there a RED ship?
M'Sharak wrote: View Post
Ar-Pharazon wrote: View Post

The ship that was circled on the other pic looks like another 3 nacelled ship, similar or identical to the one to the left.
That's what it looks like to me - an Armstrong type.
The page in M'Sharaks's link mentions a "brown hull variant". I adjusted the brightness & contrast on the screencap, so maybe it got more reddish as a result.
Ar-Pharazon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26 2013, 05:03 PM   #43
Dukhat
Commodore

At one point during pre-production for TWOK, the producers wanted the Reliant to be colored yellow (I don't know if this was before or after the decision to make the Reliant a new design instead of another Connie, but I gather that it was after). Thankfully that didn't happen.

This red ship might have been left-over CGI from the fist film, as the ship chart in the Art of the movie book lists a red Armstrong-type vessel with the name Excelsior.
Old October 26 2013, 05:05 PM   #44
geneo
Lieutenant

Ar-Pharazon wrote: View Post
Or at least to "look cool"

And being as this isn't TNG, they're probably not going to explain it

I'm not sure they ever really explained it onscreen. There was that imperative from Gene that they all had to have even numbers of nacelles.
Maybe to ensure the warp field around the ship is even and not lop sided favoring the side of the nacelle?
geneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26 2013, 06:18 PM   #45
Rķu rķu, chķu
Fleet Admiral

View Rķu rķu, chķu's Twitter Profile

^ Since all Federation ships are symmetrical, why would that be a problem? On any ship with an odd number of nacelles, the third nacelle (or, in the Freedom class, the ONE nacelle) is always in the middle.