USS Vengeance And More Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Sep 19

Trek 3 To Being Shooting Next Year
By: T'Bonz on Sep 19

Trek Messenger Bag
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

Star Trek Live In Concert In Australia
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old October 13 2013, 04:44 PM   #31
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral

Re: Once Upon a Time in Wonderland

Yah if you have time, which you should once Wonderland is canceled. The first season is fun, they follow the book of fairy tales. Season 2 is when they expand on it and go "Tat wasn't in my book".

Season 1 takes place in Maine and Fairy Tale Land of past, with hints of Wonderland. Then season two has Frankenstein and More Wonderland and that leads into Neverland where season 3 is taking place.

And the characters aren't as you think they are, it's an awesome retelling. Petter Pan is evil, it's great fun.
Old October 13 2013, 06:30 PM   #32
bbjeg
Vice Admiral

I wish you didn't drop that Peter Pan spoiler. I want to ask how can a guy like Peter be evil but don't tell me.
bbjeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13 2013, 08:00 PM   #33
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

Big Boo wrote: View Post
Neat, it's like my childhood movies got together and made a TV show (kind of like Avengers, Expendables, and League of Extraordinary Gentlemen). Is OUAT worth going back to watch?
Ever been to Fantasyland at a Disney theme park? Its like that, all they fairytales live in the same Enchanted Forest. Only without the crowds and rides.

I wish you didn't drop that Peter Pan spoiler. I want to ask how can a guy like Peter be evil but don't tell me.
Not sure how OUAT will explain it, but the book in my signature has a few ideas.
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13 2013, 09:44 PM   #34
Spot's Meow
Vice Admiral

It's okay, we don't really know much about Pan either right now. He is a new character this season.

I would definitely suggest watching OUAT. It's one of my favorite shows on TV. It benefits from having a great cast with a lot of chemistry together.
—T.S. Eliot
Spot's Meow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13 2013, 11:54 PM   #35
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral

All we know about Peter Pan is that he is evil, that's it. It's not at all a spoiler being anytime they mention, or not, his name everyone was fearful of him. It's not like "King Kong dies!" or Darth Vador is Luke's dad!
Old October 14 2013, 04:18 PM   #36
Kosh Naranek
Captain

I am not sure about Wonderland. I watched it last night and it did not really grab me. I was not engaged by any of the characters. The only one I remotely liked was the Knave.

I wonder if they will explain why the Hatter and the Knave were sucked into Storybrook? Were they both in the Enchanted Forest when the curse hit or is it due to Regina hauling along the people she wanted to take?
Old October 14 2013, 05:48 PM   #37
Vendikarr
Rear Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Vendikarr

Great love story... blah blah blah... yawn.

None of that matters to me, but I am interested in the backstory.

We meet Jafar and Agrabah is mentioned. We see Jafar fly off on a carpet, but to where? Is Agrabah a part of Wonderland, or it's own world? I would guess a separate world. The pull out at the end of the episode would seem to imply that the genie (Cyrus) is being held by Jafar in Wonderland. Or was it the Cave of Wonders? Could the Cave have a portal?

Also Jafar has Cyrus captive, but is still searching for his wishes? My guess is when Alice freed him from the lamp, but didn't actually set him free. He gave her three wishes, which she never used since we see the three red gems in her boot heel. Maybe the genie cannot grant any further wishes until the ones Alice has are used.

And does Agrabah also mean that Aladdin and Jasmine will be along shortly?
"They have to help the viewers let go. Firefly did a movie to wrap things up. Buffy the Vampire Slayer continued on as a comic book. Heroes gradually lowered the quality season by season until we were grateful it ended.” - Sheldon Cooper
Vendikarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14 2013, 05:52 PM   #38
DigificWriter
Rear Admiral

Agrabah is a sub-kingdom of the Enchanted Forest. This was established in OUaT Season 1 with Giancarlo Esposito's Genie/Magic Mirror.
Old October 14 2013, 05:56 PM   #39
Vendikarr
Rear Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Vendikarr

DigificWriter wrote: View Post
Agrabah is a sub-kingdom of the Enchanted Forest. This was established in OUaT Season 1 with Giancarlo Esposito's Genie/Magic Mirror.
Ah thanks. Season 1 is a blur to me.
"They have to help the viewers let go. Firefly did a movie to wrap things up. Buffy the Vampire Slayer continued on as a comic book. Heroes gradually lowered the quality season by season until we were grateful it ended.” - Sheldon Cooper
Vendikarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15 2013, 05:57 PM   #40
davejames
Vice Admiral

Finally saw the first ep, and was surprised how incredibly flat and unengaging it was. I admit I've never particularly cared for the Alice in Wonderland story... but then I could have said the same thing about most of the fairy tales in the Once Upon a Time, and yet that show managed to make the idea seem really cool and fun.

I think the biggest problem was introducing everything in a flashback, and skipping around so much in time. Even if we all know the basic story, we still needed to see everything introduced in a more gradual way, so we as an audience could actually have time to get emotionally involved in it.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15 2013, 11:23 PM   #41
JanewayRulz!
Vice Admiral

Saw it this weekend and like it so far.
Old October 18 2013, 07:07 AM   #42
Gryffindorian
Vice Admiral

Good grief. After watching episode 2, I can honestly say this show has an anesthetic effect on my senses. Where is the story going? The plot isn't very engaging, and the pacing moves at a lethargic pace. The stars of ”Alice & Knave” are meandering about in Wonderland looking for Character #3 who's being held captive by Character #4. I watched Heroes, V, and 666 Park Avenue, hoping they would eventually get better, and now I'm getting the same vibe here.
Old October 18 2013, 02:04 PM   #43
FreezeC77
Commodore

I think ABC would have been better off introducing a character first onto Once Upon A Time and then sending them off to this show and running this as a summer series on Sunday nights as a short series taking place until OuT returned in the fall.

They could have reached a conclusion to the storyline at the end of the summer and the next summer then done another storybook land themed series.
FreezeC77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18 2013, 03:11 PM   #44
SAndrews10
Captain

Thought this one was a definite improvement over the pilot. I felt like I was watching a OUAT episode. Acting by the Red Queen was better for what that's worth...
SAndrews10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18 2013, 03:18 PM   #45
DigificWriter
Rear Admiral

FreezeC77 wrote: View Post
I think ABC would have been better off introducing a character first onto Once Upon A Time and then sending them off to this show and running this as a summer series on Sunday nights as a short series taking place until OuT returned in the fall.

They could have reached a conclusion to the storyline at the end of the summer and the next summer then done another storybook land themed series.
It wouldn't matter when ABC aired the show, because it is not and never was going to be an Anthology series. Even if it was aired in the summer, the setting and characters wouldn't change for future seasons if said seasons were greenlit. The only thing that airing the show while the parent show was on hiatus would be that it would be more likely to be deemed a success.

Also, ABC put the series on now because they believe in the concept of it very strongly.