TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old October 11 2013, 08:57 PM   #16
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

Re: Once Upon a Time in Wonderland

FreezeC77 wrote: View Post
Because I really do not see anything in the Alice scenes to imply that it's not 19th century England(our universe), but actually a world where it's the 21st century, but the Victorian era never ended. If there had been steampunk computers or portraits of Queen Elizabeth/Prince Charles/Prince William/etc... on the wall that were quickly visible I could see making that point.

But I personally did not see evidence that would have led me to say "Oh, so she's from Victorian-era England world where the technology/style just stayed that way."
I don't know that it would have to be where Victorian-era England never ended, it could just be a reality where it's Victorian-era England.
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11 2013, 09:09 PM   #17
Enterprise is Great
Rear Admiral

I was surprised that the White Rabbit was so small. I thought that he'd be taller. Anyway I really enjoyed it. I like that Alice can kick some ass and i thought that Sophie Lowe was really good. And very cute.

I noticed that several times Alice called the Knave of Hearts Will. Then I came across this spoiler
Old October 11 2013, 09:10 PM   #18
DigificWriter
Rear Admiral

Mr. Adventure wrote: View Post
FreezeC77 wrote: View Post
Because I really do not see anything in the Alice scenes to imply that it's not 19th century England(our universe), but actually a world where it's the 21st century, but the Victorian era never ended. If there had been steampunk computers or portraits of Queen Elizabeth/Prince Charles/Prince William/etc... on the wall that were quickly visible I could see making that point.

But I personally did not see evidence that would have led me to say "Oh, so she's from Victorian-era England world where the technology/style just stayed that way."
I don't know that it would have to be where Victorian-era England never ended, it could just be a reality where it's Victorian-era England.
Once again, time travel doesn't exist in the Once-verse.

Furthermore, a portal's destination is either pre-determined or driven by the thoughts of the person who created it, meaning that the Rabbit or the Knave would've had to have been to her world before in order for them to go rescue her.

Regarding that spoiler, Michael has apparently not been keeping it much of a secret, so it's really something we ought to have known going into last night's episode.
Old October 11 2013, 09:19 PM   #19
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

^^ Not time travel, it's just that particular reality happens to be at the state of Victorian-era England.
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11 2013, 11:46 PM   #20
Kestrel
Vice Admiral

DigificWriter wrote: View Post
Once again, time travel doesn't exist in the Once-verse.
You keep insisting on this, was it officially stated somewhere or just your conjecture? Considering all the shenanigans we've already got between Neal, Emma, and Storybrooke's timelines it seems strange to rule out entirely.

Making Alice's world one that's locked in the Victorian Era is fine I suppose, but seems overly complicated. Certainly there was nothing onscreen to indicate that, but maybe we'll get more clarity on it.
Old October 12 2013, 12:51 AM   #21
DigificWriter
Rear Admiral

^ The PTBs have said there's no time travel in the Once-verse, and the show also supports that.

They've also stated, as I've said, that Alice comes from a fictional Victorian England, which, in the universe they've set up, means it's an alternate world (just like the Enchanted Forest, Wonderland, Neverland, and 'Gothic/Noir World' (Whale/Frankenstein's home)).
Old October 12 2013, 01:07 AM   #22
Jolly Old Krampus
Vice Admiral

A lot of these assertions would be better supported by a source. Is there a link anywhere saying TPTB specifically stated the Alice-verse England is of a different origin?

As for the absence of time travel in the Once-verse, well, technically it's true, considering all the characters merely jump from one realm to another, i.e., the Enchanted Forest to modern-day Storybrooke.
Old October 12 2013, 01:19 AM   #23
DigificWriter
Rear Admiral

Avada Kedavra wrote: View Post
A lot of these assertions would be better supported by a source. Is there a link anywhere saying TPTB specifically stated the Alice-verse England is of a different origin?
http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/3704996
Old October 12 2013, 01:52 AM   #24
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral

Th Red Queen was horrible, she had so much stuff in her face she couldn't even act.

I liked the show a lot better than OUAT has been. Tons of fun. Didn't feel like a TV show, and they should have stuck to the miniseries in the winter break idea. More so because the ratings were HORRIBLE!

There is no time travel on the show. The different realms have time move at different speeds.
Old October 12 2013, 04:59 AM   #25
Spot's Meow
Vice Admiral

I really wanted to like this, because I love OUAT, but I just didn't! I really didn't like any of the actors, except for Naveen Andrews as Jafar. I don't really like Alice, the Knave is irritating and the queen just didn't have anything much to her. Also, I'm not particularly invested in the story about Alice finding the love of her life. He was not very memorable or great either.

I think part of the problem is, and this is going to sound silly since we're talking about a series set in Wonderland, that it wasn't grounded in reality enough. What worked so well with OUAT is that we start with Emma in the "real world," totally unbelieving, and follow her on this journey to magical craziness. Taking the ride along with her allows us to suspend our belief more and more each week as well.

Unfortunately this new series didn't start that way. We're just sort of thrown into the chaos of Wonderland and are supposed to accept it all no problem. But I'm not accepting it. It just feels fake.

I always try to give shows at least three episodes to prove themselves, so I'll stick with it for a couple of weeks to see if things improve.
—T.S. Eliot
Spot's Meow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12 2013, 01:00 PM   #26
Mr Light
Admiral

I milldly enjoy Once Upon a Time, but I did not care for Wonderland. The characters, and the actors playing them, were just not good. The Red Queen was particularly horrible; is she stuck in perpetual duckface mode?

At least in Once Upon a Time you have like 20 characters running around, while this one basically stars 2-3 people...

The only good things are Lithgow voicing the rabbit, and Sayid as Jaffar (though he didn't make a very good showing here).

Given that it's pilot only got a 1.7 in the demo, this show will probably be swiftly cancelled anyway.

Mr Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12 2013, 04:03 PM   #27
DigificWriter
Rear Admiral

^ ABC has nothing to lose by airing the episodes they've already ordered, and they've got options available to them when it comes to trying to bolster the show's ratings.
Old October 13 2013, 01:02 PM   #28
bountifulboxesjeg
Vice Admiral

I liked it, it was fun. I never saw OUAT but a commercial made me want to check this out.

So I've noticed the Wonderland, Peter Pan, and Robin Hood references. Any more stories amalgamated in this show?
bountifulboxesjeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13 2013, 03:58 PM   #29
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral

The original show has had several worlds including The Little Mermaid, Frankenstein, Neverland, Wonderland. Everyone s waiting for the Star Wars realm to come into play.
Old October 13 2013, 04:12 PM   #30
bountifulboxesjeg
Vice Admiral

Neat, it's like my childhood movies got together and made a TV show (kind of like Avengers, Expendables, and League of Extraordinary Gentlemen). Is OUAT worth going back to watch?
bountifulboxesjeg is offline   Reply With Quote