CBS Launches Streaming Service
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Yelchin In New Indie Thriller

Saldana In The Book of Life

Cracked’s New Sci-Fi Satire
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Old October 10 2013, 06:06 AM   #1
Fearless
Commodore

Lost In The Infinite Saddness

How do I get out!?

If it was chemical I would have been out years ago.

I am drowning.

I have been stuck in this family - negative thing since I was 18 and it sucks. I am 35 and I want my own life!

[edit] I am
Fearless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10 2013, 07:14 PM   #2
Peach Wookiee
Cuddly Mod of Doom

Re: Lost In The Infinite Saddness

Rita, do you have a regular psychiatrist and a good doctor? And if you can, talk out your frustrations with your family.
Peach Wookiee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10 2013, 09:04 PM   #3
Insp.LeStrange
Rear Admiral

No no no, no. I mean I agree with that good advice, but to a point. Help, yes, talk yes, but not everyone is motivated to hear or respect the truth. So it depends on who you're talking to.

Psychiatry is clinical, maybe not warranted. First see if the problems can't be addressed by a hypnotherapist, then a psychologist or social worker or marriage and family therapist. These people are trained in behavior. Only then, if the problem is discovered as having a neurological basis, should you consult a malpractice-trained pusher, I mean medical professional. A psychiatrist may be trained in reducing symptoms but not necessarily root causes.

Present company excepted of course.

Rita Hayworth, if your family is a source for negative feelings, consider the possibility that the problem is theirs and you are coping the way any human being with natural empathy would - expressing your personal power the only avenue they leave available to you: withdrawal.

Then again, if you're engaging in self-destructive behavior for other reasons, then you'll have to face that. Either way, humans who wish to graduate into adulthood must take responsibility and accountability for their actions and how they make their own family feel. Maybe that's you, maybe that's them. Maybe it's all of you.

If I were you I might consider getting a professional perspective - learn how to improve my coping strategies until I could put myself in a healthier emotional or geographical state. Then again, you shouldn't consider this advice but only a point of view.

You're on a journey of self-discovery. Are your shortcomings that which cause you to feel bad around family? Or are they merely lies and labels aimed at undermining you? First you might discover the truth, then face it. Also remember that if you get support from others that your family doesn't provide, the positive reinforcement might cause you to stay stuck in self-pity and depression. There are other ways of getting affirmation too.

Find a paraprofessional or professional you have a good rapport with. Don't hold your breath waiting for others to grow up and be responsible adults. That don't always happen.

Last edited by Insp.LeStrange; October 10 2013 at 10:54 PM.
Insp.LeStrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10 2013, 09:33 PM   #4
SamhainLikeYou
Vice Admiral

People here can provide emotional support, but you may want to seek professional help.
Old October 10 2013, 10:31 PM   #5
I Am The Walrus
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to I Am The Walrus Send a message via Yahoo to I Am The Walrus

just taking a shot in the dark...but if your family is the source of pain then you need to separate yourself from them. or at least make some distance. if you are always around people who cause you pain then you can never really escape.
I Am The Walrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11 2013, 12:12 AM   #6
teacock
Admiral

I've had the luxury of being able to completely cut off one relative that was extremely toxic. I say luxury because circumstances made it possible to live far away from them. I realize not everyone has these choices. I think if you're stuck in a family and place that is suffocating you and you don't have the finances to make a big move that gives you distance it would absolutely suck. I would suggest you try and carve out as much life outside of family as you can, whether it be via internet or making a big effort to get a social group IRL that is completely separate from them. I know that's not really enough sometimes, but it can be a mental lifesaver.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11 2013, 01:05 AM   #7
Peach Wookiee
Cuddly Mod of Doom

Rita, try some exercise too if you can. I've found in the last few days that exercising has helped me calm down.
Old October 12 2013, 01:25 AM   #8
Fearless
Commodore

I appreciate everyone's kind words and your opinions. Yeah I need to get away from my family. I talked to someone a few years back and they said I was fine and I just need to be easy on myself and not worry too much about things I can't control. I do enjoy walking, so I might try to do that on the regular. I feel foolish now, don't know why I was so down...it has been a long time since I felt that bad and something happened I don't want to discuss but it hit me harder than I thought it would. Thanks again for your time and insight.
Fearless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12 2013, 07:11 AM   #9
Rainbow Dash
Rainbow Horse Man

Send a message via ICQ to Rainbow Dash Send a message via AIM to Rainbow Dash Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Rainbow Dash Send a message via Yahoo to Rainbow Dash

I hope you feel better soon, Rita. Believe me when I tell you that I empathize.

Alan Shore: "Denny, I am amazed at your inexhaustible ability to just live. "
Denny Crane: "It's either that or die."
-=-=-=-=-=-=--=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Brony Kingdom
Rainbow Dash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12 2013, 04:36 PM   #10
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

If family = parents --> move the hell away
If family = wife and kids --> get your shit together
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12 2013, 06:10 PM   #11
Peach Wookiee
Cuddly Mod of Doom

Jarod, sometimes it isn't that simple. I get down because of my folks, but it's not simple. I can't walk away from it. For my dad's sake, I can't. I'd feel worse if I did.
Old October 12 2013, 06:36 PM   #12
RJDementia13
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion

Rita, don't feel foolish for having feelings. Your feelings are legitimate, both the good ones and the bad ones. I was in the same predicament once, stuck in a dismal family situation. Fortunately, I was able to move out when I was 21, but my teenage years were troublesome indeed. What I know from that experience is that they can't get inside your head unless you let them. That is your sanctum sanctorum. Your freedom is always with you in your thoughts and dreams until you can make it real.
Old October 12 2013, 07:53 PM   #13
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

Peach Wookiee wrote: View Post
Jarod, sometimes it isn't that simple. I get down because of my folks, but it's not simple. I can't walk away from it. For my dad's sake, I can't. I'd feel worse if I did.
Eventually you would realize that this was not the case.

Sometimes you just have to cut off your arm under extreme pain, and then learn to live without it, to survive.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12 2013, 07:59 PM   #14
Peach Wookiee
Cuddly Mod of Doom

Perhaps you don't know... we both take care of my mother. I'm worried about my dad.
Old October 13 2013, 05:04 AM   #15
Insp.LeStrange
Rear Admiral

JarodRussell wrote: View Post
Peach Wookiee wrote: View Post
Eventually you would realize that this was not the case.

Sometimes you just have to cut off your arm under extreme pain, and then learn to live without it, to survive.

Lighten up, Francis.

Oh, and - you might consider asking a question before giving answers in life.
Insp.LeStrange is offline   Reply With Quote