RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,706
Members: 24,834
Currently online: 497
Newest member: kamkaran

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

View Poll Results: The Mirror Universe in Star Trek XIII?
I hope so. 12 21.43%
I hope not. 44 78.57%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Old October 17 2013, 06:44 PM   #31
Gaith
Rear Admiral

Re: The Mirror Universe in Star Trek XIII?

A nu-MU movie: STAR TREK INTO REALLY DARK DARKNESS
Gaith is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 19 2013, 02:23 AM   #32
Noname Given
Vice Admiral

- I'm a TOS fan first and foremost (been watching since 1969).
- I LOVED both ST09 and STID
^^^
The above said, I REALLY hope that with the third one, they do a completely original story that doesn't rely on main elements from a previous TOS episode or film.

(And IMO STID was more rooted in 'Space Seed' then in 'STII:TWoK' and again, while it did go in original directions, again, I would really like to see a new 'Star Trek' story in that Universe, with no 24th Century elements bled over from the 'Prime Universe' ala ST09; or the 'Space Seed' and TWoK ala STID.)
Noname Given is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19 2013, 02:56 AM   #33
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

Balrog wrote: View Post
I could dig a MU movie, as long as they gave equal time to the good guys.
This is the MU. There ARE no good guys. That's kind of the point.

(srsly, I wouldn't want any kind of crossover. Just a full-out Terran Empire slugfest.)
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Mr. Laser Beam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19 2013, 01:23 PM   #34
The Wormhole
Admiral

George Steinbrenner wrote: View Post
(srsly, I wouldn't want any kind of crossover. Just a full-out Terran Empire slugfest.)
Problem is, that wouldn't make any money at the box office.
Old October 19 2013, 03:16 PM   #35
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

^ It could, if done right.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Old October 19 2013, 03:19 PM   #36
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

The Wormhole wrote: View Post
Problem is, that wouldn't make any money at the box office.
^ It could, if done right.
I think it would need to be some type of crossover. But, I simply don't think we've known these characters long enough for a Mirror Universe entry to be satisfying.

It would make for an interesting novel, if the restriction on writing in the Abramsverse is ever lifted.
Old October 19 2013, 07:57 PM   #37
The Keeper
Commodore

In the nuverse, couldn't the mirrorverse be the Primeline? What a hellava bone that would be, somehow getting a little peek at the ol' stomping grounds.[/wishful thinking]

Check out hit crime drama series on FX: The Bridge.
The Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19 2013, 08:03 PM   #38
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

Imminent Anterior Aneurysm wrote: View Post
In the nuverse, couldn't the mirrorverse be the Primeline?
Eh?

Just like the prime timeline - the 'regular' Trek universe - is unchanged and still exists, so does its associated Mirror universe. They could show that one in a future Abrams film, or do an Abrams-MU.

As for how an Abrams-MU would look, or what its origin would be? Could be anything. Doesn't even have to involve a MU-Nero, although it probably would.

And for purposes of this discussion I am completely ignoring the MU as depicted in the recent Abrams comics. Mainly because of this:

Old October 20 2013, 02:06 AM   #39
The Wormhole
Admiral

The problem with the "it's just Bones and Scotty telling a story" theory is that they know too much about the MU if true. There's no reason they should know the MU's humans run something called the Terran Empire, or that Spock Prime once visited a universe ruled by the Empire. That the Empire's officers are all armed with daggers and that they advance in rank by murdering their superiors.

But then you have the problem that the elderly Spock presented in this story clearly isn't Spock Prime, meaning both he and Nero must come from a different universe that is pretty similar to the Prime Universe.

That entire comic story was a mess, and that's before you get to the record number of art errors in it...
Old October 20 2013, 10:08 AM   #40
Smellmet
Commander

I don't think they should go anywhere near any mirror or time travel stuff, I think it would start to alienate they very viewers they've managed to bag in the last 2 instalments
Smellmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20 2013, 03:36 PM   #41
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

The problem with the "it's just Bones and Scotty telling a story" theory is that they know too much about the MU if true.
Assuming they're just making it up as they go along, they don't "know" anything. They're telling a fairytale, nothing more. It could be anything. It's no more far-fetched than, say, the existence of "Earth Prime" in DC Comics, which was basically a copy of our own Earth where most DC characters were fictional comic heroes.
Old October 20 2013, 10:04 PM   #42
The Wormhole
Admiral

The problem with the "it's just Bones and Scotty telling a story" theory is that they know too much about the MU if true.
Assuming they're just making it up as they go along, they don't "know" anything. They're telling a fairytale, nothing more.
Then they're imaginations are remarkably accurate to reality.
Old October 20 2013, 10:05 PM   #43
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

^ In an infinite multiverse? Anything is possible.
Old October 22 2013, 01:02 AM   #44
OpenMaw
Commander

^ In an infinite multiverse? Anything is possible.
Forgive me, I mean no offense, but the only thing I feel when I read that is "Ugh, the improbabilities made me throw up in my mouth."

Old October 22 2013, 08:55 PM   #45
YellowSubmarine
Rear Admiral

I don't want the Mirror Universe in the next film because I love it and it has an awesome potential. Don't waste it early.

It's too big of a leap to just do out of the blue in the third film. It's a story that needs to be set in world you're familiar with. Let's get to know what these incarnations of the characters are up to, and then pop to their mirror universe counterparts. It's also too amazing, let the Star Trek regular universe exhaust its own amazingness first. If you want a MU story right now, you'd get a better one if it is about a MU of Earth's present (without an explicit link to Star Trek) than of another Star Trek MU story.

Scratch that, we desperately need the new film to be about Harry Mudd selling whales to the Mirror Borg with a help of a time-travelling Dr. Watson. I won't lie if I say I would watch it with a grin.