Cumberbatch To Voice Khan
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Shaun And Ed On Phineas and Ferb
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18

New Ships Coming From Official Starships Collection

Trek Stars Take On Ice Bucket Challenge

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old August 7 2014, 06:21 PM   #1
DonIago
Rear Admiral

View DonIago's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to DonIago Send a message via AIM to DonIago Send a message via Yahoo to DonIago
Did Khan target Harewood's daughter?

Apologies if this has come up before!

So we know that Khan and Harewood work out a deal wherein Khan heals Harewood's daughter using his blood in exchange for Harewood bombing the S31 facility.

A few days ago I started to wonder whether Khan made Harewood's daughter sick to begin with. It's certainly in keeping with his character, and it seems more likely that Khan would set the situation up from the outset than that there would be an S31 person who conveniently had a sick daughter that Khan was in a unique position to help.

Thoughts?
DonIago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7 2014, 06:39 PM   #2
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile
Re: Did Khan target Harewood's daughter?

That's definitely in character for Khan, yeah.

His constant carping about his "crew" and "beloved wife" notwithstanding, I'm standing by my position that Khan, as an Augment, is without human compassion, and thus deliberately making a child sick so he could blackmail her father later is definitely something Khan would do.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Mr. Laser Beam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7 2014, 07:03 PM   #3
DonIago
Rear Admiral

View DonIago's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to DonIago Send a message via AIM to DonIago Send a message via Yahoo to DonIago

I don't really see his feelings for his crew as being pertinent; they're augments. Harewood's family is "inferior" and thus inconsequential.

Kind of makes me wonder how much differently TWoK might have played out if Marla had survived, though.
Old August 7 2014, 09:08 PM   #4
LeadHead
Director of Comedy

This question defies resolution with me.

Is Khan capable of causing the illness and creating the situation? Without a doubt.

Could it have happened just as easily without Khan's involvement? Of Course.

Would Khan try to avoid taking the risk of potentially revealing his whereabouts or plans by being the cause? Yes.

Could Khan successfully evade suspicion long enough to poison the daughter? Yes.

Is Khan capable of poisoning a mans daughter and then looking her father in the eye and sending him to his death? Totally.

Short of a canonical explanation, there is no way to be sure.

Check out the Caption contests in the TOS, TNG and Movies I-X forums!
LeadHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7 2014, 09:30 PM   #5
Green Shirt
Commodore

DonIago wrote: View Post
Kind of makes me wonder how much differently TWoK might have played out if Marla had survived, though.
Khan probably would've just kicked Kirk in the nuts and been satisfied.
Old August 8 2014, 02:04 PM   #6
The Wormhole
Admiral

While I suppose it could work as a means of showing how calculating Khan can be, I personally doubt it. More than likely he reviewed whatever info he could about the personnel assigned to the Kelvin Library in search of a weak link he could exploit, someone who could be manipulated into doing his bidding. An officer with a terminally ill child turned up and bingo, plan can go ahead.
Old August 8 2014, 03:53 PM   #7
DonIago
Rear Admiral

I can definitely see it playing out that way...but I can also see it playing out that rather than find a weak link (either because he couldn't or couldn't be bothered) he opted to create one.
Old August 17 2014, 07:20 AM   #8
ManOnTheWave
Rear Admiral

Singh causing Harewood's daughter's illness strikes me as a little too convoluted. If for no other reason than a man whose daughter only recently fell ill might not have lost hope yet. No, Harewood's daughter likely would have been battling Illness for some time. The man was desperate. Enough to do anything.
Old August 17 2014, 09:13 AM   #9
DonIago
Rear Admiral

It seems less convoluted than Khan stumbling upon him...

How long was Khan thawed out for? He may have had months to plan this.
Old August 17 2014, 10:20 AM   #10
Ithekro
Captain

Couldn't have been much more than a year since they didn't find Botany Bay until after Vulcan was destroyed.
Ithekro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17 2014, 02:38 PM   #11
The Wormhole
Admiral

And he probably spent most of that time designing and overseeing the construction of the Vengeance.
Old August 17 2014, 10:38 PM   #12
drt
Commander

While part of me likes the Machiavellian aspect of Khan also making the girl sick, I didn't get the impression from the film that was the case.
drt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17 2014, 11:46 PM   #13
DonIago
Rear Admiral

I doubt the filmmakers intended it either; if it even occurred to them I could see them concluding that making the girl sick would push Khan even further into the land of irredeemable characters than he already was and discarding the concept in the process.
Old August 18 2014, 12:10 AM   #14
Dennis
Commodore

Green Shirt wrote: View Post
DonIago wrote: View Post
Khan probably would've just kicked Kirk in the nuts and been satisfied.
"One day it begins to be borne in on the writer...that he is living in Europe as an American. If he were living there as a European, he would be living on a different and far less attractive continent." - James Baldwin

Last edited by Dennis; August 18 2014 at 12:22 AM.
Dennis is offline   Reply With Quote