Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old October 10 2013, 04:29 AM   #1
SnowboredShipCapt'n
Commodore

Orangopoid: Scarier than the Mugato?

I leave it to your judgment.

Orangopoid, from Flash Gordon (1936):

Mugato, from Star Trek (1968):

For the record, that orangopoid did some serious jabbin' and stabbin' with that horn, on top of that mean-ass expression of his.
SnowboredShipCapt'n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10 2013, 04:36 AM   #2
Warped9
Admiral

Re: Orangopoid: Scarier than the Mugato?

The Orangopoid looks better, at least in that shot.
Old October 10 2013, 05:27 AM   #3
Ho Ho Homeier
Vice Admiral

The Orangopoid was played by B-Movie film star and stuntman Ray "Crash" Corrigan. He showed up a lot in gorilla suits (he may have owned one), including a few shorts with the Three Stooges. His last film appearance was the title role in It! The Terror Beyond Space, sometimes thought to be the inspiration for Ridley Scott's Alien.

The Mugato is Janos Prohaska, who frequently built his own costumes, and his ape creatures all have a distinctive facial style. Prohaska also did work on the original The Outer Limits. Compare his Mugato with his chimp Darwin in the Outer Limits episode "Sixth Finger", with David McCallum.
Old October 10 2013, 01:09 PM   #4
SnowboredShipCapt'n
Commodore

Fascinating!
Old October 11 2013, 12:44 AM   #5
TOSalltheway
Lieutenant Commander

A Private Little War is a classic example of what could have been a great episode ruined by cheap monsters, and silly wigs.

It had so much to say about geo-politics but I can can think of is the Mugato and the hill people with their silly blow dried blonde wigs.
TOSalltheway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11 2013, 01:11 AM   #6
Ho Ho Homeier
Vice Admiral

The Orangopoid in action can be seen during the first few minutes of this Flash Gordon chapter, here retitled as "Space Soldiers" for television. The costume does sort of look like the same one Corrigan wore in the Stooges short "Three Missing Links", without the horn, and some of his ape mannerisms are similar.

The full chapter is about 18 minutes, so I'm not embedding it here. It looks laughable by today's standards, but this was the equivalent of Star Trek in 1936. Of course, Charles Middleton's iconic Ming the Merciless is in it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vNRA872JfEk
Old October 11 2013, 03:43 AM   #7
SnowboredShipCapt'n
Commodore

Ehh, the horn does flop around a little bit, doesn't it?
Old October 11 2013, 07:41 AM   #8
ZapBrannigan
Fleet Captain

I think Prohaska's Mugatu costume was extremely good. And his performance as a dangerous wild animal was stunning.
ZapBrannigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11 2013, 07:47 AM   #9
LMFAOschwarz
Fleet Captain

Melakon wrote: View Post
The Orangopoid in action can be seen during the first few minutes of this Flash Gordon chapter, here retitled as "Space Soldiers" for television...It looks laughable by today's standards, but this was the equivalent of Star Trek in 1936.
This makes me wonder if kids today, looking back on the original Star Trek, see it in any way similar as to we would have looking back on Flash Gordon when we were young?
LMFAOschwarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11 2013, 08:00 AM   #10
Ho Ho Homeier
Vice Admiral

Wait until their kids start laughing at Star Wars: A New Hope.
Old October 12 2013, 01:21 AM   #11
SnowboredShipCapt'n
Commodore

My 6-year-old is quite enthralled by Flash Gordon; he watched the original serial for the second time this week.

The one ambivalent comment he made was "Why do the girls in this scream all the time?"
Old October 13 2013, 10:04 PM   #12
publiusr
Commodore

The Orangopoid was played by B-Movie film star and stuntman Ray "Crash" Corrigan.
And the Mugatu was played by Will Ferrell...
publiusr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14 2013, 07:42 AM   #13
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

LMFAOschwarz wrote: View Post
The Orangopoid in action can be seen during the first few minutes of this Flash Gordon chapter, here retitled as "Space Soldiers" for television...It looks laughable by today's standards, but this was the equivalent of Star Trek in 1936.
This makes me wonder if kids today, looking back on the original Star Trek, see it in any way similar as to we would have looking back on Flash Gordon when we were young?
Probably, of course when I was young they showed both Flash Gordon and Star Trek on TV (in reruns at least) so I don't quite have the same point of reference.

GoredShipCapt'n wrote: View Post
My 6-year-old is quite enthralled by Flash Gordon; he watched the original serial for the second time this week.

The one ambivalent comment he made was "Why do the girls in this scream all the time?"
I watched it earlier in the year, it's still pretty entertaining.
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14 2013, 08:31 AM   #14
Ho Ho Homeier
Vice Admiral

There was also a 1950s television version of Flash Gordon, made in West Germany I think, starring Steve Holland. I remember watching it at least once.

There was a line from either that series, or perhaps the Buster Crabbe serials, that has achieved some internet notoriety. All I remember about the scene is Flash is being tortured or brainwashed or something, and some woman is chanting, "Men are weak. Women are strong," repeatedly. I haven't been able to locate where it's from specifically.
Old October 14 2013, 10:43 AM   #15
SnowboredShipCapt'n
Commodore

There was also a 1950s television version of Flash Gordon, made in West Germany I think, starring Steve Holland. I remember watching it at least once.

There was a line from either that series, or perhaps the Buster Crabbe serials, that has achieved some internet notoriety. All I remember about the scene is Flash is being tortured or brainwashed or something, and some woman is chanting, "Men are weak. Women are strong," repeatedly. I haven't been able to locate where it's from specifically.
Oh, that German show was truly awful. Pure product of the Marshall Plan. I've got four episodes on a cut-rate DVD and they're laughably hideous.

There was one cool thing, though: a kind of tangled star-chart that could have been the inspiration for the complicated diagram Daffy Duck drew in "Duck Dodgers." Can't recall the quote you mention, but I'll bet it's from that.