Saldana: Women Issues In Hollywood
By: T'Bonz on Nov 21

Shatner Book Kickstarter
By: T'Bonz on Nov 20

Trek Original Series Slippers
By: T'Bonz on Nov 19

Hemsworth Is Sexiest Man Alive
By: T'Bonz on Nov 19

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old October 9 2013, 11:38 PM   #16
JD
Admiral

Re: Novels set in the Trek universe... but not about Star Trek?

I'd also throw The Art of The Impossible in there. It's kind of a political thriller about The Betreka Nebula Incident that Garak and Bashir discussed in The Way of The Warrior. It covers 18 years, and features a bunch of different characters, some of we never saw on screen. There are a few recurring characters from the TV series, and a couple of major players from the novels, but I don't think there is a single main character from any of the TV series.
Old October 10 2013, 01:01 AM   #17
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

And then, I suppose, there's the Captain Proton book, which is a based on a work of fiction popular in the Star Trek universe.

And wasn't there a Dixon Hill mystery novel, or was that a TNG novel set largely in the holodeck? I can't remember.

Sadly, Pocket has yet to publish Warrior Women at the River of Blood or Vulcan Love Slave.
Old October 10 2013, 03:50 AM   #18
Leto_II
Commander

JD wrote: View Post
I'd also throw The Art of The Impossible in there. It's kind of a political thriller about The Betreka Nebula Incident that Garak and Bashir discussed in The Way of The Warrior. It covers 18 years, and features a bunch of different characters, some of we never saw on screen. There are a few recurring characters from the TV series, and a couple of major players from the novels, but I don't think there is a single main character from any of the TV series.
There's a brief cameo-appearance by

But otherwise, correct -- no other major major-cast characters show up in the novel.

Last edited by Leto_II; October 10 2013 at 07:40 AM.
Leto_II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10 2013, 07:01 AM   #19
KRAD
Keith R.A. DeCandido

View KRAD's Twitter Profile

Slyvon wrote: View Post
The other strange one (in a good way) is "Rising Son." A weird book about Jake Sisko joining a group of space thieves. I swear I read it thinking Joss Whedon must have gotten his idea for Firefly out of it!
Which would be a neat trick, considering that Rising Son was published after Firefly was cancelled.....

As indicated (and it's really not any kind of spoiler), Worf appears as a small child, and we also see Troi as a small child and Uhura as an older admiral. And, of course, Curzon Dax is a main character, and he's sorta-kinda half a main character....

Greg Cox wrote: View Post
And wasn't there a Dixon Hill mystery novel, or was that a TNG novel set largely in the holodeck? I can't remember.
Yes, A Hard Rain by Dean Wesley Smith, which had a superb Sonia Hillios cover....

"Even when you turn your back, you're facing something."
KRAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10 2013, 07:20 AM   #20
Slyvon
Lieutenant

View Slyvon's Twitter Profile

Slyvon wrote: View Post
The other strange one (in a good way) is "Rising Son." A weird book about Jake Sisko joining a group of space thieves. I swear I read it thinking Joss Whedon must have gotten his idea for Firefly out of it!
KRAD wrote: View Post
Which would be a neat trick, considering that Rising Son was published after Firefly was cancelled.....
My bad. I'm reading the DS9 relaunch books and I guess I've been forgetting the books aren't nearly as old as the series.

DS9 to me will always be a "late 90s thing."
Slyvon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10 2013, 10:28 AM   #21
trash80
Lieutenant Commander

Christopher wrote: View Post
trash80 wrote: View Post
I mean novels set in the Star Trek universe but not involving the Enterprise, DS9, any characters we might have heard of (except in passing maybe "Did you see that report about Kirk on the news, hes with that chick now??" )
That would cover most of the Vanguard series, the New Frontier series, the Corps of Engineers series...
Not really, they are all part of "Star Trek", as are your own excellent DTI books. I'm asking about books not about Star Trek but use the universe as a backdrop. For example a detective story on Alpha Centauri, a hospital drama on Federation Earth, a romance on Kronos
trash80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10 2013, 10:30 AM   #22
trash80
Lieutenant Commander

Seems interesting, not fully what i am after but still adding it to my wish list
trash80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10 2013, 02:12 PM   #23
TJ Sinclair
Captain

Not really, they are all part of "Star Trek", as are your own excellent DTI books. I'm asking about books not about Star Trek but use the universe as a backdrop. For example a detective story on Alpha Centauri, a hospital drama on Federation Earth, a romance on Kronos
That's still Star Trek, dude. It's just not Starfleet.

And no, you'll never find a Trek novel that doesn't feature a single canon character. Even Vanguard has M'Benga.

The closest thing to what you're describing is The Case of the Colonist's Corpse which is a Perry Mason-esque murder mystery pastiche starring Samuel T. Cogley.

But if you want a book that doesn't focus on Starfleet, there's Rising Sun which is told from Jake Sisko's perspective but is mainly about a motley freighter crew in the Gamma Quadrant. There's also KRAD's IKS Gorkon/Klingon Empire series.

If you want books that don't focus on regular characters from the TV series and movies, try the novel-only series like Vanguard. I'd say New Frontier, but that, by design, has a number of TNG guest stars become regulars in that series, Shelby, Lefler, Selar, and so forth.

But you're not really going to find a novel that doesn't feature Starfleet in some way and also doesn't feature canon characters. That's just the nature of a media tie-in.

If you want to read stuff set in the Trek universe that doesn't feature canon characters at all, there are people who can point you to some fairly well-written fan fiction (just not in this particular sub-forum), or towards some sims/rpgs that are essentially collaborative writing groups. I've been in several over the years that were set on civilian vessels or colonies and had little to no interaction with Starfleet.
Old October 10 2013, 09:09 PM   #24
Shane Houston
Commander

View Shane Houston's Twitter Profile

Here's a good example of a non Star Trek character involved with the Star Trek continuity...

"I excel at following the important ones." Admiral Kathryn Janeway answering Counselor Cambridge's questioning her whether she excels at following orders. Star Trek Voyager: Protectors by New York Times Bestselling authorKirsten "Mother F**ng" Beyer
Shane Houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10 2013, 09:50 PM   #25
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile

TJ Sinclair wrote: View Post
And no, you'll never find a Trek novel that doesn't feature a single canon character.
"Andor: Paradigm", in "Worlds of DS9", features only the most fleeting cameo by Nog.
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10 2013, 10:38 PM   #26
JD
Admiral

KRAD wrote: View Post

As indicated (and it's really not any kind of spoiler), Worf appears as a small child, and we also see Troi as a small child and Uhura as an older admiral. And, of course, Curzon Dax is a main character, and he's sorta-kinda half a main character....
Oh, I was going by Memory Beta and I didn't notice Worf, Troi, or Uhura on the list. I did see Curzon, but I wasn't sure how exactly he would be categorized on the main-recurring-new character spectrum.
Old October 12 2013, 04:16 AM   #27
Christopher
Writer

I'm asking about books not about Star Trek but use the universe as a backdrop. For example a detective story on Alpha Centauri, a hospital drama on Federation Earth, a romance on Kronos
Except that Star Trek is the universe, not any one part of it. Every sequel, prequel, and spinoff series has included Star Trek as part of the title. Enterprise was without it for the first two seasons, but then it was retitled Star Trek: Enterprise for the name recognition. If all those different series set in different times and places and featuring different people were all Star Trek, then there's no real way to define something that's part of the universe but doesn't fall under the ST label.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12 2013, 04:38 AM   #28
Nob Akimoto
Captain

View Nob Akimoto's Twitter Profile

Would still like to see a story about a descendant of Machii Isao go to Qo'nos looking to find (and defeat) the greatest Bat'leth wielder of the age.
Nob Akimoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12 2013, 04:47 AM   #29
Slyvon
Lieutenant

View Slyvon's Twitter Profile

Therin of Andor wrote: View Post
"Andor: Paradigm", in "Worlds of DS9", features only the most fleeting cameo by Nog.
I just finished that book this evening! So good! What an interesting species the Andorians have become.
Slyvon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13 2013, 05:40 AM   #30
Timewalker
Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady

A significant portion of Diane Duane's novel Spock's World deals with events on pre-Federation Vulcan. In a way, it's like two books in one, since you can read the Vulcan stuff as a series of short stories without reading the 23rd century material, or vice-versa.

Other than that and what's already been mentioned, you might want to check out what's available in fanfic. There's plenty out there that involves the Federation (or other places known to the Federation) but isn't Starfleet-centric or uses all-canon characters.

For some great Original Series fanfic, check out the Valjiir Continuum!
Timewalker is offline   Reply With Quote