A Baby For Saldana
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

Klingon Beer Arrives In The US
By: T'Bonz on Jul 22

Star Trek: Prelude To Axanar

Abrams Announces Star Wars: Force For Change Sweepstakes

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old October 9 2013, 04:01 PM   #16
Pingfah
Admiral

Re: Harrison Ford confirms Blade Runner 2 discussions

JarodRussell wrote: View Post
Is a sequel to this truly necessary?
This is consistently the most completely pointless response whenever a sequel to anything is announced.
Old October 9 2013, 04:03 PM   #17
Gov Kodos
Vice Admiral

Pingfaaaaaarrrrggghh wrote: View Post
This is consistently the most completely pointless response whenever a sequel to anything is announced.
Much like many sequels.
We are quicksilver, a fleeting shadow, a distant sound... our home has no boundaries beyond which we cannot pass. We live in music, in a flash of color... we live on the wind and in the sparkle of a star! Endora, Bewitched
Gov Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9 2013, 04:12 PM   #18
Sindatur
Rear Admiral

Gov Karnstein wrote: View Post
sojourner wrote: View Post
Bladerunner is a favorite of mine. That being said I never agreed with Scott shoe horning in after the fact that Deckard was a replicant.
I think he put enough in the first version to make Deckard's being a replicant a possible interpretation. He doesn't have to be for the film to work, but with the changing number of replicants, that Roy knew who he was out of the blue, and a some other points like the origami pieces, its not farfetched. I do prefer the more open ended is he or isn't he one, though. Making that explicit does take away some of the fun.
Ahhhh....OK, now I understand.

I've been scratching my head, thinking, "I know it's been a long time since I've seen it, but, I don't remember it being confirmed he was a Replicant, why is everyone talking about it like it's an absolute fact, rather than just a possible interpretation"

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9 2013, 04:20 PM   #19
Gov Kodos
Vice Admiral

Sindatur wrote: View Post
sojourner wrote: View Post
Bladerunner is a favorite of mine. That being said I never agreed with Scott shoe horning in after the fact that Deckard was a replicant.
I think he put enough in the first version to make Deckard's being a replicant a possible interpretation. He doesn't have to be for the film to work, but with the changing number of replicants, that Roy knew who he was out of the blue, and a some other points like the origami pieces, its not farfetched. I do prefer the more open ended is he or isn't he one, though. Making that explicit does take away some of the fun.
Ahhhh....OK, now I understand.

I've been scratching my head, thinking, "I know it's been a long time since I've seen it, but, I don't remember it being confirmed he was a Replicant, why is everyone talking about it like it's an absolute fact, rather than just a possible interpretation"
One of the last versions released had him dreaming about a unicorn which matches up with the origami unicorn in the elevator left behind by Gaf when he and Rachel are leaving. It begs the question how the two images are related. Some would say it shows Gaf is aware of Deckard's dreams which could mean they are implanted memories. However, I don't think it was ever made explicit that D was a replicant. Assuming Deckard is a replicant, Gaf could be observing Deckard to make sure he functions as a proper Blade Runner.
We are quicksilver, a fleeting shadow, a distant sound... our home has no boundaries beyond which we cannot pass. We live in music, in a flash of color... we live on the wind and in the sparkle of a star! Endora, Bewitched
Old October 9 2013, 04:27 PM   #20
Pingfah
Admiral

Much like many sequels.
Well yes, much like many films in fact. Being a sequel is really neither here nor there, it doesn't preclude you from making a good film.
Old October 9 2013, 04:29 PM   #21
Gov Kodos
Vice Admiral

Much like many sequels.
Well yes, much like many films in fact. Being a sequel is really neither here nor there, it doesn't preclude you from making a good film.
Unless you're Uwe Boll, there's no hope for him.
Old October 9 2013, 04:58 PM   #22
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

It's not pointless at all. The very question "Why do you want to do this?" is the most important one that a writer has to ask himself. Original films are usually inspired by an idea, a desire, the writer actually wants to tell something, not by the need to do something. The latter has never resulted in a good end product, in my opinion, especially not when there is an extremely long period between these films.

Sequels like Indiana Jones 4, or Die Hard 4, or Superman Returns, are the result of producers saying "We need another film! Writers, come up with something!". Prometheus was just like that as well, albeit being a prequel. In in my opinion, those kind of films always suck.

I wish filmmakers would ask themselves the question of why they are doing something more often.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9 2013, 05:09 PM   #23
137th Gebirg
Rear Admiral

I think the why of Prometheus was relatively sound from Scott's POV. He knew, from the beginning, that there was a lot more story to tell about the Alien universe than was ever touched on by any of the franchise films (AVP sub-genre notwithstanding). Who and what were the "Space Jockeys" and why did they have these ships with super-dangerous eggs?

Now, the execution of the idea, on the other hand, is up for debate.

I, for one, do hope that there is a Prometheus II, to hopefully correct/straighten out some of the oddities of the first one, but it won't break my heart if he opts for a Blade Runner II, either. I wonder if they'll get Olmos to reprise the roll of Gaff? And knowing the things he said about NuBSG possibly being in the same universe as Blade Runner (Replicants being humanity's latest stab at Cylon-like tech and Gaff being a descendant of Adama), will Scott let him play a little bit to that idea? He does seem to enjoy putting artificial humans in his films, and philosophically questioning if they're any more or less human than their human creators. Hell, for that matter, the Blade Runner and Alien universes may very well be the same, too...
Old October 9 2013, 05:17 PM   #24
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

Hm, okay, the story of the Space Jockey might have been interesting.

What is left unanswered in Blade Runner that needs to be dealt with in a sequel?
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9 2013, 05:23 PM   #25
137th Gebirg
Rear Admiral

Don't know. IMO it was a much more subtle movie than Alien with deeper philosophical underpinnings. Perhaps some further exploration of the human aspects of a whole new generation of replicants who are completely self-aware by all definitions and biologically indiscernible from humans in every way. Does that then make humanity that much closer to God as being a creator species or would it marginalize the significance of humanity, or intelligent life in general, in the universe? Does it call into question the very definition of what it means to be human, or even alive? "Are you alive? Prove it!"

NuBSG touched on this a little, which is why I am thinking it could very well be a thing in BR2. Olmos is a lot bigger name now than he was with the first one. I wouldn't be surprised if he tried to use his clout and general involvement in the project to pitch the idea. Certainly not mention BSG by name anywhere in the film, but thematically similar.

Other than that, I have no clue.
Old October 9 2013, 06:48 PM   #26
Deckerd
Fleet Arse

I'm sure film folks talk about lots of stuff that never gets made.
Old October 9 2013, 09:40 PM   #27
Set Harth
Rear Admiral

Gov Karnstein wrote:
Deckard could have had it undone assuming he was the missing replicant from the 6 who initially got to Earth.
I think we should take it at face value that the Batty-group replicants couldn't have it undone. This probably applies to typical Nexus 6 replicants. If Rachael is an "experiment" I suppose we could call her an advanced Nexus 6 or perhaps a proto-Nexus 7. It's not a question of getting it undone in her case ( or Deckard's, if we assume him to be a similarly advanced replicant ) if there is nothing to undo.
Old October 9 2013, 10:01 PM   #28
CorporalCaptain
Vice Admiral

I saw Blade Runner opening weekend.

My problem with assuming that Deckard is a replicant is that it undermines what I see as the thematic structure of the film. The following is true for all the retirements in the film, but, as one of the film's emotional high points, Zhora's death especially has impact precisely because we are made to wonder just what it is that differentiates her death from a human's. If Deckard is a human behaving like a replicant in the midst of replicants behaving like humans, then that highlights the question of human versus replicant, by offering us some contrast for comparison. If Deckard's a replicant, where's the contrast? There is no lesson for Roy to teach Deckard in valuing the life of a replicant, if Deckard is already a replicant.
Old October 9 2013, 10:38 PM   #29
Gov Kodos
Vice Admiral

Set Harth wrote: View Post
Gov Karnstein wrote:
Deckard could have had it undone assuming he was the missing replicant from the 6 who initially got to Earth.
I think we should take it at face value that the Batty-group replicants couldn't have it undone. This probably applies to typical Nexus 6 replicants. If Rachael is an "experiment" I suppose we could call her an advanced Nexus 6 or perhaps a proto-Nexus 7. It's not a question of getting it undone in her case ( or Deckard's, if we assume him to be a similarly advanced replicant ) if there is nothing to undo.
No.

Closed Caption wrote: View Post
I saw Blade Runner opening weekend.

My problem with assuming that Deckard is a replicant is that it undermines what I see as the thematic structure of the film. The following is true for all the retirements in the film, but, as one of the film's emotional high points, Zhora's death especially has impact precisely because we are made to wonder just what it is that differentiates her death from a human's. If Deckard is a human behaving like a replicant in the midst of replicants behaving like humans, then that highlights the question of human versus replicant, by offering us some contrast for comparison. If Deckard's a replicant, where's the contrast? There is no lesson for Roy to teach Deckard in valuing the life of a replicant, if Deckard is already a replicant.
I recall, though I don't have any link, that Ford didn't like thi idea of Deckard being a replicant. I would expect for many of the same thoughts you have here. His being a replicant works for me because I find Deckard learning to feel for people through Rachel and Roy equally compelling.
Old October 10 2013, 01:38 AM   #30
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

Maybe it will be about an unaging Rachel leaving Deckard's old ass. Or is that only in the old ending? I don't think I ever got around to watching the new cut.
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote