Ortiz Art Mugs
By: T'Bonz on Jan 28

Ingham Passes
By: T'Bonz on Jan 28

Star Trek Online Celebrates Five Years
By: T'Bonz on Jan 27

WizKids/Star Trek Online Caption Contest
By: T'Bonz on Jan 26

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy All your nerd stuff goes here.

Old November 11 2014, 02:43 AM   #1
superdeluxe
Captain

Jonathan Nolan developing Asimov's Foundation to HBO

Pretty awesome news, hope this is as epic as the books were:

http://badassdigest.com/2014/11/10/j...ation-for-hbo/

It was only a matter of time before someone actually made Foundation. We've come close a couple of times, with movie versions being threatened. I've always been worried about this, as Isaac Asimov's novels - especially the core trilogy - do not lend themselves to movies. They take place over the course of thousands of years, telling the slow story of humanity's future after the Galactic Empire falls into barbarism. It's possibly Asimov's masterwork, and it's one of my all-time favorite stories. And it would only work as a TV show.

That might be happening, as Jonathan Nolan - who wrote Interstellar, in theaters now - is developing a series based on it for HBO. The climate seems absolutely right, as we live in a time where smarter scifi travels to wider audiences and where season-long anthology shows have found acceptance. The nature of Foundation means that whoever stars in the first season would be gone by the second (except for whoever plays Hari Seldon, the man who founds the Foundation, and who keeps popping up in recorded messages). As a TV show Foundation could be a close-ended epic on par with Game of Thrones but with the sweep of centuries.

Star Trek 250+ million or Bust!
superdeluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11 2014, 03:48 AM   #2
Owain Taggart
Rear Admiral

Re: Jonathan Nolan developing Asimov's Foundation to HBO

I'll believe it when I see it. This has been talked about for a long time. In fact, I think I remember the last thread we had on this. While I love the Foundation stories, I just don't know if they could successfully translate that to an on-screen TV show. It's mostly lots of philosophizing and not a lot of action.
Owain Taggart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11 2014, 03:53 AM   #3
Starbreaker
Fleet Admiral

View Starbreaker's Twitter Profile

If it's Nolan and HBO, it will get made. They normally don't announce stuff they're not already in production on.
Old November 11 2014, 04:00 AM   #4
HIjol
Commodore

Hoping against hope.
"If man is to survive, he will delight in the essential differences between men and between cultures. He will learn that differences in ideas and attitudes are a part of life's exciting variety, not something to fear" Gene Roddenberry
HIjol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11 2014, 04:48 AM   #5
SiddFinch1
Captain

If done right. Will be great....if...

Going to be hard to pull off
Old November 11 2014, 04:55 AM   #6
Chaos Descending
Vice Admiral

I have no faith that this will work.

I consider the Foundation saga to be totally unsuitable for visual media.
Old November 11 2014, 05:13 AM   #7
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Did you like the audio plays of the first 3 books?

8 hours long. Public domain.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 11 2014, 07:19 AM   #8
HIjol
Commodore

Guy Gardener wrote: View Post

Love the images in my head. God, if only they could be translated into a movie or 3.
"If man is to survive, he will delight in the essential differences between men and between cultures. He will learn that differences in ideas and attitudes are a part of life's exciting variety, not something to fear" Gene Roddenberry
Old November 11 2014, 08:21 AM   #9
Emh
Doctor of TARDIS

Send a message via ICQ to Emh Send a message via AIM to Emh Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Emh Send a message via Yahoo to Emh

Oh, now this is good news, even if I haven't read the series yet (it's on my very long list). I'm rather indifferent by the recent 3001 news (largely because I haven't read the series aside from the first one), but I've always loved Asimov's work. Throw in Jonah Nolan and HBO into the mix and color me interested.

"I'm in Hell and it's full of Avons!" - Vila
Emh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11 2014, 08:23 AM   #10
JacksonArcher
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to JacksonArcher

I'm excited, especially given Jonah Nolan's involvement.
Old November 11 2014, 10:10 AM   #11
Ensign_Redshirt
Commodore

A TV adaptation by HBO is certainly preferable to a movie adaptation or a TV adaptation by a "lesser" network. So, I'm actually optimistic about this.

But what's up with HBO anyway? Two out of four drama series they're currently producing are straight Fantasy (Game of Thrones, The Leftovers). And upcoming shows include Westworld and now Foundation. Is HBO slowly becoming what Syfy was back in the days when they had something like Farscape or Battlestar Galactica on? :P
Ensign_Redshirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11 2014, 11:29 AM   #12
RJDiogenes
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion

HBO is an odd place for Foundation to show up, but it could work. It seems more likely that they will be willing to make it as exotic as it deserves, but I just hope they don't try to turn it into some dark and gritty thing, like Game of Thrones (which is a fantastic show, but definitely not a template for Foundation).

Foundation is a hard concept to bring to TV or movies. It's mostly talking heads and any action that occurs takes place off-screen while its implications are discussed. Hopefully they don't flip it and focus on space battles.

Well, fingers crossed, anyway. That's both Clarke and Asimov coming to TV. Maybe Heinlein will be next.
Old November 11 2014, 01:05 PM   #13
HIjol
Commodore

Guy Gardener wrote: View Post

Hi, Guy Gardener and thanks for the link. While "Star Trek" will always be my "visual" favorite, The Foundation Series is my 1-2 reading favorite, tied with Dune. Please tell me, however, why I am buffering buffering buffering. Not to make you my IT Expert, but I have an IPAD 2. Is it because I am wireless? Very frustrating, and I want to hear your wonderful post of "Foundation"
Old November 11 2014, 01:26 PM   #14
Christopher
Writer

Ensign_Redshirt wrote: View Post
But what's up with HBO anyway? Two out of four drama series they're currently producing are straight Fantasy (Game of Thrones, The Leftovers). And upcoming shows include Westworld and now Foundation. Is HBO slowly becoming what Syfy was back in the days when they had something like Farscape or Battlestar Galactica on? :P
What's up is that GoT was a big hit, and TV executives always try to imitate success. Remember how the commercial networks had a slew of serialized sci-fi/fantasy ensemble dramas after Lost became a hit? Or how there were a bunch of first-run syndicated action-fantasy shows in the wake of Hercules/Xena?

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11 2014, 01:46 PM   #15
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

Very cool. I think it takes dedication to the material to pull it off, but I do think it's possible. A TV format is certainly the better format. The important thing is that it'll have a constantly shifting set of characters. I'm not sure how many shows are willing to do that.