Trek Business Card Cases
By: T'Bonz on Nov 17

February IDW Publishing Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Nov 17

Retro Review: The Siege of AR-558
By: Michelle on Nov 15

Trevco Full Bleed Uniform T-Shirts
By: T'Bonz on Nov 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies I-X

Star Trek Movies I-X Discuss the first ten big screen outings in this forum!

Old November 25 2013, 08:50 PM   #376
Maurice
Vice Admiral

View Maurice's Twitter Profile
Re: Star Trek: TMP questions and observations

Therin of Andor wrote: View Post
Well, because the Trek movie scripts didn't call for giant, ugly monsters... until Shatner tried for a giant orange rock man for ST V and couldn't achieve what he'd imagined on paper with the budget he'd been given.
Where was it described as orange?

Maab wrote: View Post
Maurice wrote: View Post
The foreground one is the 3 footer prototype built for the show. The Exeter in the background is an AMT kit.
Oh, I didn't know it. I always tought that they were both AMT models. Thank you.

Best,
Maab
Sure. You can see the 3 footer's distinctive mounting rod point sticking out the bottom of the ship.
Maurice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25 2013, 09:05 PM   #377
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile

Well, because the Trek movie scripts didn't call for giant, ugly monsters... until Shatner tried for a giant orange rock man for ST V and couldn't achieve what he'd imagined on paper with the budget he'd been given.
Where was it described as orange?
Well I'm possibly thinking of The Thing from "Fantastic Four" and the Rockman from "Galaxy Quest" (hilariously envisaging the FX Shatner couldn't afford). Was he orange? I guess living-lava rockmen do come in other colours.
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25 2013, 09:31 PM   #378
Maurice
Vice Admiral

View Maurice's Twitter Profile

Of course, the Shat didn't want one rockman...we wanted all kinds of cherubim which would then become a hoard of rocky gargoyles...but this got whittled down to one rockman suit which they couldn't figure out how to make work.
Maurice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26 2013, 09:54 PM   #379
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile

wanted all kinds of cherubim...
Which "Galaxy Quest" also did. At the gala sneak preview some Trek friends and I went to for GQ, we were in hysterics by that point. I declared: "Now all we need is a giant rockman..." - and suddenly there he was!
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26 2013, 10:55 PM   #380
SchwEnt
Fleet Captain

Yarnek was a kind of rockman, I thought he was pretty well done for TOS. Sure, not much mobility but fairly convincing as a rock guy.

I don't know why it was such a problem for TFF. It's not THAT difficult or groundbreaking, is it?
SchwEnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26 2013, 11:06 PM   #381
Christopher
Writer

But it's kind of an anticlimax for a story about searching for God. Although the original proposed version of seemingly angelic beings turning into demonic gargoyles could've had some merit.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 26 2013, 11:19 PM   #382
Harvey
Admiral

That sounds like a variation on the climax of Raiders of the Lost Ark to me.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27 2013, 12:56 AM   #383
2takesfrakes
Commodore

Christopher wrote: View Post
But it's kind of an anticlimax for a story about searching for God. Although the original proposed version of seemingly angelic beings turning into demonic gargoyles could've had some merit.
None of the drafts of William Shatner's valentine to James T. Kirk had any merit.
Old November 28 2013, 06:59 PM   #384
Peach Wookiee
Cuddly Mod of Doom

trevanian wrote: View Post
LMFAOschwarz wrote: View Post
So true. I used to go to my local mall and see this same square-standing-on-one-corner display shelf unit (seen here in The Wrath of Khan) decorated in the courtyard.

Stupid me, when the mall had closed down about ten years ago, I should have inquired into purchasing it...
I almost mentioned that. Later, it appears in Tasha's cabin ("The Naked Now").

While not high-end, we had a chain of Granny May stores in the 80s, in Australia, and they were selling those clear plastic beverage containers, with the spiral straws wrapped around the outside, which I finally noticed (in the VHS release) was on the waitress's drinks tray when McCoy was seeking a flight to Genesis in ST III.

The sticker around the top I added myself, cut down from freebie stickers handed out on premiere night.

Star Trek III glass by Therin of Andor, on Flickr
I think the wall unit showed up behind a native in the shopping mall part of Farpoint Station as well. Haven't seen the ep in at least 20 years, but I remember that as jumping out at me.

As for the straw's origins, the CFQ article on SFS (and I think this is in MAKING OF THE TREK FILMS as well) indicates that was practically the only thing they found already available and not needing to be made or rented from Modern Props. I think they bought it at a high end store, Nordstrom's maybe, if those were around back then.
Depends on where you were. They've been in the Seattle area since 1901.
Peach Wookiee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28 2013, 07:20 PM   #385
Timewalker
Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady

2takesfrakes wrote: View Post
Timewalker wrote: View Post
However, many years later, the science fiction club I belonged to in college had a party where we used recipes from the Dragonlance book Leaves From the Inn of the Last Home (Dragonlance is one of the AD&D RPG settings). We tried everything from bread, stew, soup, other entrees, and desserts... and it all turned out surprisingly well (and tasty).
Or, perhaps ... you just got lucky!
Considering that the club included people experienced in putting on SCA feasts, it wasn't luck. It was knowing what would basically work and getting creative from there. The idea was to have a fun Christmas party, not make anyone sick.

For some great Original Series fanfic, check out the Valjiir Continuum!
Timewalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29 2013, 01:04 AM   #386
2takesfrakes
Commodore

Timewalker, I'm glad your Cooking Party was a Smashing Success. You know, I am, unreservedly, a fan of Billy Shakes, myself. I only have a mild interest in the SCA, but I did try E-mailing the Pennsylvania Chapter for information on joining. I got no response - nothing!!! Is this unusual, or is this just how they roll ... trying to find out how much shit I'll take?
Old November 29 2013, 02:01 AM   #387
Timewalker
Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady

2takesfrakes wrote: View Post
Timewalker, I'm glad your Cooking Party was a Smashing Success. You know, I am, unreservedly, a fan of Billy Shakes, myself. I only have a mild interest in the SCA, but I did try E-mailing the Pennsylvania Chapter for information on joining. I got no response - nothing!!! Is this unusual, or is this just how they roll ... trying to find out how much shit I'll take?
I have no idea how they do things in that part of the Knowne World, but you certainly wouldn't have gotten that (non)response here in Avacal. And it's entirely possible that the contact information you used was outdated. Sometimes people leave their positions rather suddenly and the new person might not update the information in a timely way. It boggles my mind to think that record-keeping was generally more accurate before everything went online.

The people you need to contact are called Chatelaines. Those are the people responsible for helping new people who want to join and giving general information (or directing you to the person who has the specific information you want).

Since I don't know where you live, I can't advise you on where your nearest branch is.

You can try http://sca.org/geography/findsca.html, which has this to say if you have trouble:

When all else fails -- contact the Corporate Office

You can call or write to the central offices of the SCA Inc. and ask them for help contacting the nearest SCA group. If you are in the USA, include your 5-digit ZIP Code. If you send a letter, it would be helpful to supply a self-addressed stamped envelope.

Society for Creative Anachronism
P.O. Box 360789
Milpitas, CA 95036-0789

Phone: (800) 789-7486, (408) 263-9305
9:30 am - 4 pm Pacific Time, Monday-Thursday.
Fax: (408) 263-0641
available 24 hours/day, except after noon on the last working day of the month, for the month-end close.

E-mail: membership@sca.org
There's also a lookup tool to help you find your local branch (or as local as possible).

For some great Original Series fanfic, check out the Valjiir Continuum!
Timewalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29 2013, 02:19 AM   #388
Sran
Fleet Captain

Taking the thread in a different direction, I've been wondering about a few things:
  • What's the rationale behind having the science station directly behind the captain's chair as opposed to having it to Kirk's right as it appeared during the TV series and would again appear in subsequent films (Nick Meyer changed it for TWOK because he liked the idea of shooting Kirk and Spock together up close and thought it would be easier if the science console were off to the side)?
  • Was it the intention of the writers/producers to give Scotty much less of a bridge presence in the films as a result of TMP? He appeared on the bridge frequently in TOS but was rarely there during the films. Was this done entirely for plot reasons or was there an in-universe reason that wasn't expanded upon?
--Sran
Old November 29 2013, 02:22 AM   #389
2takesfrakes
Commodore

Thank you, Timewalker, for that most thorough and thoughtful answer. The small favour is greatly received.
Old November 29 2013, 02:48 AM   #390
Christopher
Writer

Sran wrote: View Post
Was it the intention of the writers/producers to give Scotty much less of a bridge presence in the films as a result of TMP? He appeared on the bridge frequently in TOS but was rarely there during the films. Was this done entirely for plot reasons or was there an in-universe reason that wasn't expanded upon?
Well, Scotty's default location in TOS was engineering. With only, really, four movies set aboard the Enterprise when it had a full complement (I, II, V, and VI), there weren't that many opportunities to vary the pattern.

Besides, maybe part of the reason he was often on the bridge in TOS was because it was cheaper to shoot a dialogue exchange on one set than it would be to shoot both the bridge and engineering sets for a conversation over the intercom.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote