RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 140,894
Posts: 5,476,821
Members: 25,050
Currently online: 444
Newest member: aloraptor

TrekToday headlines

Klingon Bloodwine To Debut
By: T'Bonz on Nov 25

Trek Actors In War Of The Worlds Fundraiser
By: T'Bonz on Nov 25

Star Trek: The Next Generation Gag Reel Tease
By: T'Bonz on Nov 24

Shatner In Haven
By: T'Bonz on Nov 24

Retro Review: Covenant
By: Michelle on Nov 22

Two Official Starships Collection Previews
By: T'Bonz on Nov 21

Saldana: Women Issues In Hollywood
By: T'Bonz on Nov 21

Shatner Book Kickstarter
By: T'Bonz on Nov 20

Trek Original Series Slippers
By: T'Bonz on Nov 19

Hemsworth Is Sexiest Man Alive
By: T'Bonz on Nov 19


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies I-X

Star Trek Movies I-X Discuss the first ten big screen outings in this forum!

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old November 4 2013, 10:56 PM   #181
LMFAOschwarz
Fleet Captain
 
LMFAOschwarz's Avatar
 
Re: Star Trek: TMP questions and observations

Gotham Central wrote: View Post
I'm wondering if DeForrest Kelly had a clause in his contract that required him to appear on screen a certain number of times. How else can you explain the fact that on several occasions, Dr. McCoy just wanders onto the bridge, looks around and then leaves. Frequently without saying a word. Its odd.
That's very true, G.C., and it is weird in light of the fact that McCoy would be the last person to blend into the background without speaking his mind!
LMFAOschwarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4 2013, 11:09 PM   #182
Sran
Fleet Captain
 
Sran's Avatar
 
Location: The Captain's Table
Re: Star Trek: TMP questions and observations

Gotham Central wrote: View Post
I'm wondering if DeForrest Kelly had a clause in his contract that required him to appear on screen a certain number of times. How else can you explain the fact that on several occasions, Dr. McCoy just wanders onto the bridge, looks around and then leaves. Frequently without saying a word. Its odd.

One cannot help but notice that the one time there is actually a medical situation on the bridge, its Dr. Chapel that does the treatment. McCoy just seems bored for most of the film.
Your point about Kelley's contract may be true. But as for the in-universe reason for McCoy's presence, Kirk valued his skills as an advisor more than he did his experience as a physician. McCoy was there more for Kirk's benefit than anyone else's and likely would not have been had Decker commanded the mission.

LMFAOschwarz wrote: View Post
That's very true, G.C., and it is weird in light of the fact that McCoy would be the last person to blend into the background without speaking his mind!
Indeed. McCoy's most meaningful scenes happened away from the bridge, which makes his being there even more puzzling. His reading the riot act to Kirk happened in the latter's quarters. His interaction with the Ilia probe happened wherever the probe was at the time. And he was present during the away mission that concluded the crisis as Decker departed with V'Ger.

--Sran
__________________
"Many things seem clever to an imbecile." --Captain Thelin th'Valrass, USS Enterprise-- "The Chimes at Midnight"
Sran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4 2013, 11:29 PM   #183
Christopher
Writer
 
Christopher's Avatar
 
Re: Star Trek: TMP questions and observations

I'm not sure, but in the bit where McCoy arrives on the bridge and just stands there watching for a while before leaving, I think the reason he came to the bridge was to escort the healed Chekov there. At least, I think they came in together. That was during either the cloud or the flyover sequence, so maybe McCoy just watched in awe and saw the others watching in awe and decided there was nothing much to say.
__________________
Christopher L. Bennett Homepage -- Site update 11/16/14 including annotations for "The Caress of a Butterfly's Wing" and overview for DTI: The Collectors

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4 2013, 11:36 PM   #184
Maurice
Vice Admiral
 
Maurice's Avatar
 
Location: Maurice in San Francisco
View Maurice's Twitter Profile
Re: Star Trek: TMP questions and observations

McCoy escorted Chekov to the bridge, but his line ("Or a crew of a thousand ten miles tall") was cut.
__________________
* * *
“Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.”
― Winston S. Churchill
Maurice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4 2013, 11:47 PM   #185
Sran
Fleet Captain
 
Sran's Avatar
 
Location: The Captain's Table
Re: Star Trek: TMP questions and observations

Maurice wrote: View Post
McCoy escorted Chekov to the bridge, but his line ("Or a crew of a thousand ten miles tall") was cut.
The line appears in the "Special Longer Version," as I was surprised when it wasn't included in the DE.

--Sran
__________________
"Many things seem clever to an imbecile." --Captain Thelin th'Valrass, USS Enterprise-- "The Chimes at Midnight"
Sran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4 2013, 11:58 PM   #186
Maurice
Vice Admiral
 
Maurice's Avatar
 
Location: Maurice in San Francisco
View Maurice's Twitter Profile
Re: Star Trek: TMP questions and observations

It's because it's a dumb exchange and it's redundant. First, we're about the fly over the damned thing for 5 minutes to see how epically ginormous it is (show not tell), and Uhura's setup line of "It could hold a crew of tens of thousands," is delivered like a first year theater student.
__________________
* * *
“Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.”
― Winston S. Churchill
Maurice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5 2013, 02:31 AM   #187
CorporalCaptain
Admiral
 
CorporalCaptain's Avatar
 
Location: Kentucky
Re: Star Trek: TMP questions and observations

McCoy would have had reason enough to be on the bridge to check up on how possible psyche-ward patient Kirk is doing. Is Kirk losing it and barking more stupid orders, or has he learned his lesson, dusted himself off, and is he getting into the grove of being captain again, to save the Earth from possible digitization?
__________________
John
CorporalCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5 2013, 02:38 AM   #188
Sran
Fleet Captain
 
Sran's Avatar
 
Location: The Captain's Table
Re: Star Trek: TMP questions and observations

CorporalCaptain wrote: View Post
McCoy would have had reason enough to be on the bridge to check up on how possible psyche-ward patient Kirk is doing. Is Kirk losing it and barking more stupid orders, or has he learned his lesson, dusted himself off, and is he getting into the grove of being captain again, to save the Earth from possible digitization?
Well, he missed the near-explosion between Kirk and Decker after the latter suggested a defensive stance against the intruder. Kirk snapped at Decker and seemed like he was about to go off before Spock interrupted with his theory about there being an object at the cloud's center. I'm not sure if he would have been reassured that Kirk accepted Decker's reasoning for his continued suggestions or worried that Kirk almost lost his cool again because Decker was merely doing his job.

--Sran
__________________
"Many things seem clever to an imbecile." --Captain Thelin th'Valrass, USS Enterprise-- "The Chimes at Midnight"
Sran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8 2013, 01:30 AM   #189
2takesfrakes
Commodore
 
2takesfrakes's Avatar
 
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Re: Star Trek: TMP questions and observations

Maurice wrote: View Post
... Uhura's setup line of "It could hold a crew of tens of thousands," is delivered like a first year theater student.
Some of the acting is rather stilted here, which I partly blame on the fact that most of the cast hadn't been in anything too much for the previous decade. Even Shatner, though, who'd sustained himself on T.V. guest spots, primarily, delivers lines on some scenes surprisingly bad, even for him! Partly, also, I blame this on the near-constant rewrites. These performers needed to be practiced with their dialogue to deliver lines with any realism. I also blame the tight shooting schedule. First takes appear to be the order of the day, especially with the second banannas ... again, the rewrites did not help, here.
__________________
"― You lose it here, you're in a world of hurt."
2takesfrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8 2013, 03:25 AM   #190
LMFAOschwarz
Fleet Captain
 
LMFAOschwarz's Avatar
 
Re: Star Trek: TMP questions and observations

2takesfrakes wrote: View Post
Some of the acting is rather stilted here, which I partly blame on the fact that most of the cast hadn't been in anything too much for the previous decade. Even Shatner, though, who'd sustained himself on T.V. guest spots, primarily, delivers lines on some scenes surprisingly bad, even for him! Partly, also, I blame this on the near-constant rewrites. These performers needed to be practiced with their dialogue to deliver lines with any realism. I also blame the tight shooting schedule. First takes appear to be the order of the day, especially with the second banannas ... again, the rewrites did not help, here.
Never tried to Channel my inner One Take Shatner!
LMFAOschwarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8 2013, 06:47 AM   #191
trevanian
Rear Admiral
 
Re: Star Trek: TMP questions and observations

2takesfrakes wrote: View Post
Maurice wrote: View Post
... Uhura's setup line of "It could hold a crew of tens of thousands," is delivered like a first year theater student.
Some of the acting is rather stilted here, which I partly blame on the fact that most of the cast hadn't been in anything too much for the previous decade. Even Shatner, though, who'd sustained himself on T.V. guest spots, primarily, delivers lines on some scenes surprisingly bad, even for him! Partly, also, I blame this on the near-constant rewrites. These performers needed to be practiced with their dialogue to deliver lines with any realism. I also blame the tight shooting schedule. First takes appear to be the order of the day, especially with the second banannas ... again, the rewrites did not help, here.
This did not have a tight shooting schedule, far from it. Geez, they spent well over a week just on the wormhole interiors.

If you consider how much of the film was shot on the bridge, which SHOULD hae speeded the shoot, then the amount of days on the shooting schedule is seriously more than healthy.


Now, it did have a tight post schedule, given that they were running so far behind in that area and they had to deliver 550+ VFX shots that accounted for half the running time.
trevanian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8 2013, 06:54 AM   #192
LMFAOschwarz
Fleet Captain
 
LMFAOschwarz's Avatar
 
Re: Star Trek: TMP questions and observations

trevanian wrote: View Post
Now, it did have a tight post schedule, given that they were running so far behind in that area and they had to deliver 550+ VFX shots that accounted for half the running time.
I thought I'd remembered reading that Doug Trumbull spent a week in the hospital after finishing up his work on this movie!
LMFAOschwarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8 2013, 10:31 AM   #193
2takesfrakes
Commodore
 
2takesfrakes's Avatar
 
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Re: Star Trek: TMP questions and observations

LMFAOschwarz wrote: View Post
Never tried to Channel my inner One Take Shatner!
Sir.............................................
__________________
"― You lose it here, you're in a world of hurt."
2takesfrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10 2013, 01:45 PM   #194
2takesfrakes
Commodore
 
2takesfrakes's Avatar
 
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Re: Star Trek: TMP questions and observations

Someone once told me that the Ilia probe need not have even been female, for Decker to have been motivated to join with V'ger. Saying that he did so because it was quite historic and once-in-a-lifetime ... and all of that stuff. Truth-be-told, it's not entirely clear, in this movie, what Decker's real motivations are.

Why is he so willing to sacrifice himself?

We just don't get to know him well enough to understand it. Yes, there are justifications, of course: Earth's jeopardy and to reunite with his lost love for all eternity, being the main ones. But why submit to his own destruction, even after McCoy's protests? Surely, some other arrangement could be reached? Was Decker's career in STARFLEET threatened by his demotion - did he have nothing else to look forward to, or live for?

Even if he'd just blurted out, like Shinzon had, "some things are worth dying for ..." it would've helped alot. Instead we get, "... I want this!". Why, Decker? WHY?!?!!! It's cool-looking, though, and his leggy piece of fluff diving into the frey certainly gives it a romantic aspect. Our ignorance of Decker sort of lessens the impact of what he's done, though ...
__________________
"― You lose it here, you're in a world of hurt."
2takesfrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10 2013, 02:09 PM   #195
Robert Comsol
Commodore
 
Robert Comsol's Avatar
 
Location: USS Berlin
Re: Star Trek: TMP questions and observations

IIRC correctly V'ger was set to re-unite with its creator and like a "little child" would not have settled for less (not to think what may have happened if Decker would have said "No").
Somebody had to offer the "human sacrifice" and Decker volunteered which IMHO just re-emphasized what kind of captain he could have become.

But quite admittedly, it's somewhat odd that he volunteered with the enthusiasm he apparently displayed. Unless he just faked it to ensure that the others wouldn't interfere.

Bob
__________________
"The first duty of every Starfleet officer is to the truth" Jean-Luc Picard
"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them."
Albert Einstein
Robert Comsol is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 09:54 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.