Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Takei Has Growth Removed
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12

New Wizkids Attack Wing Ships
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old June 3 2014, 01:20 AM   #1231
Gryffindorian
Vice Admiral

Re: Arrow - Season 2

Black Canary's character was retconned in the comics. So the Dinah Lance who partnered with and married Oliver is/was the daughter of the older Canary (WW2 era, All Star Squadron).
Old June 3 2014, 01:50 AM   #1232
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Yeah.

They retconned that retcon 4 new universes ago.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 3 2014, 02:32 AM   #1233
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

Gryffindorian wrote: View Post
Black Canary's character was retconned in the comics. So the Dinah Lance who partnered with and married Oliver is/was the daughter of the older Canary (WW2 era, All Star Squadron).
The Canary actually debuted after WWII in 1947 (Flash Comics #86) and was never in the All-Star Squadron.
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3 2014, 03:31 AM   #1234
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

You remember that World War 2 started happening again across the multiverse ater the JSA and JLA stared just droped by to borrow a cup of flour?

Dinah was from Earth II which was 2 decades behind earth one and still fighting Hitler in Earth One's 1970s.

Post crisis all the Earths were conflated changing the line up in Allstar Saquadron to have always been an Earth 1 thing, so that Black Canary was there, but Batman and Superman was not.

Old June 3 2014, 03:54 AM   #1235
Gryffindorian
Vice Admiral

I muts've been thinking of the Justice Society in general. Or maybe it was Hawkwoman/Hawkgirl?
Old June 3 2014, 04:29 AM   #1236
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

Guy Gardener wrote: View Post
You remember that World War 2 started happening again across the multiverse ater the JSA and JLA stared just droped by to borrow a cup of flour?

Dinah was from Earth II which was 2 decades behind earth one and still fighting Hitler in Earth One's 1970s.

Post crisis all the Earths were conflated changing the line up in Allstar Saquadron to have always been an Earth 1 thing, so that Black Canary was there, but Batman and Superman was not.
No, it wasn't. WWII was long over when Barry Allen wound up on Jay Garrick's Earth. Barry even looks at a newspaper when he arrives, the date is the same as on his Earth. Jay mentions when he retired as the Flash, some twenty two years prior to Barry's arrival. All subsequent team-ups with the E2 characters are set in modern times as well. The JSA series in All-Star Comics, published in the 70s and the Infinity Inc series from the 80s are also set in modern times and the fact the JSA characters have aged is a factor in both. Only the All Star Squadron and it's sequel, the Young All-Stars are set during WWII.

You might be thinking of Earth X, where the Nazi's won WWII. In that adventure, the Earth II Superman mention he fought Nazis' at the start of his career.
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Old June 3 2014, 05:45 AM   #1237
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Rules change and history is constantly revised.

I'm thinking about the JLA/JSA crossovers in the early 80s JLA that I read as a child.

Earth II was only up to just after WWII, somewhere during the 1950s, and clearly not the 1980s.

And then Crisis made a wall between old comics and new comics.

Old June 3 2014, 06:17 AM   #1238
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

Rules change and history is constantly revised.

I'm thinking about the JLA/JSA crossovers in the early 80s JLA that I read as a child.

Earth II was only up to just after WWII, somewhere during the 1950s, and clearly not the 1980s.

And then Crisis made a wall between old comics and new comics.
Then you're remembering them wrong. Those were set in the 70s & 80s on both worlds. Many involved a third team: The LSH, the New Gods, heroes from the past, the Secret Society of Super Villains. The only one partially set in WWII was the team up with the All-Star Squadron as the third team. That one had the JSA and JLA from the 80s teaming with the All Stars. It was also a time travel story that has the teams traveling to the 40s and the 60s.
Old June 3 2014, 07:08 AM   #1239
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

I just read JLA 219 (1981) (Because I'm a dick.) where Jay is explaining parallel earth's to Barry, which if you are right (which you are.) then Jay has been the Flash since the mid 1930s, yet the character does not seem to be in his early 70s if Earth II is also in it's 80s. Some snow around the edges sure, but 72 years old I do not think so.

This is a small contribution to the necessity of the first Crisis.

Old June 3 2014, 02:28 PM   #1240
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

I just read JLA 219 (1981) (Because I'm a dick.) where Jay is explaining parallel earth's to Barry, which if you are right (which you are.) then Jay has been the Flash since the mid 1930s, yet the character does not seem to be in his early 70s if Earth II is also in it's 80s. Some snow around the edges sure, but 72 years old I do not think so.

This is a small contribution to the necessity of the first Crisis.
The Speed Force kept Jay young, as did his exposure to Karkull radiation ( which also kept most of the JSA young, too) The former being the PostCrisis explanation and the later the PreCrisis explanation. Remember, they brought the JSA back a few years after the COIE with their WWII history intact.
Old June 3 2014, 09:37 PM   #1241
kirk55555
Fleet Captain

Earth X was the Earth that was fighting still WW2 in the 70's (the Nazi's won WW2, but there was still a fighting resistance). It was the pre-crisis home of the Freedom Fighters, and although apparently at one point it was retconned (probably pre-crisis) so that the Freedom fighters migraited from Earth 2 to Earth X (according to wikipedia), the JSA was never there and never fought there.

The JSA stories in the 70s All Star Comics run and later Infinity Inc definately took place in real time (aka the 70s, 80s, etc). I've read the whole All Star Comics run and a lot of Infinity Inc, and they all agreed that the JSA fought in WW2, which ended when WW2 actually ended, and that they all existed without looking much older in the 70s and 80s.
kirk55555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10 2014, 05:02 AM   #1242
sojourner
Admiral

So, Syn got out of Starling city and turned up at a reform school for wayward girls in Arizona.

From Seattle, (The Killing) to Starling (Arrow), to Arizona (Longmire), playing pretty much the same character with the same haircut. Wonder where she'll turn up next?
Old June 10 2014, 06:25 AM   #1243
Gryffindorian
Vice Admiral

On CSI, where she'll be playing a murdered hooker at Tangiers.
Old June 14 2014, 06:14 PM   #1244
Enterprise is Great
Rear Admiral

casting sheet for 4 recurring season 3 characters
Old June 14 2014, 06:31 PM   #1245
sojourner
Admiral

First thing that springs to mind is "Daniel" sounds like Ted Kord.