TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old February 16 2014, 10:00 PM   #646
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Re: Arrow - Season 2

Give her a gun.

I still don't understand how Ollie convinced Huntress that crossbows were better than guns.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16 2014, 10:02 PM   #647
LaxScrutiny
Commodore

Guy Gardener wrote: View Post
Do you ever see Popeye Cartoons as PSA for steroids?
Always.
Give her a gun.

I still don't understand how Ollie convinced Huntress that crossbows were better than guns.
Because guns don't kill people. People with crossbows kill people.
LaxScrutiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16 2014, 10:05 PM   #648
sojourner
Admiral

Give her a gun.

He didn't. Remember, in the end she switched back to guns.
Old February 16 2014, 10:10 PM   #649
Gaith
Rear Admiral

LaxScrutiny wrote: View Post
Gaith wrote: View Post
You yourself brought up mirakuru.
You, yourself, didn't bring up the mirakuru. You, yourself, without the benefit of mirakuru, equated Sarah with Laurel.
Uh... no, I didn't. And I'm posting in an Arrow thread, so established fictional cheats like mirakuru are fair game without my needing to explicitly invoke them.

Roy was initially depicted as tough, street wise, athletic, and motivated. He didn't have anything to recover from. He was already BETTER than Ollie was, first year on the island. Even so, the writers understood that to make Roy believable as a superhero, they had bump him up. If they didn't then he was about half of what Ollie was, if that.

How do you make Laurel believable?
Mirakuru, plus an infusion of Sara's katra, including all her years of training. Boom, there's Laurel as Black Canary in two simple, fast, and steps. Easy when you know how, really.

I'm not saying the writers should indeed make it that fast and easy. I'm just saying it can be done.
Gaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16 2014, 10:14 PM   #650
theenglish
Rear Admiral

Because someone seems to think that Laurel is in a position to become a super hero within some reasonable time limit of the series run.

Right now she is not super, she is not normal, she is below a normal person. Unless she gets some super soldier serum, she has a LONGER path to being super than Sarah and Ollie did. This is my point.
You yourself brought up mirakuru. Between that and the gradual introduction of other powers, there's all sort of possible ways for her to eventually become super within the confines of the show's comic-book logic.

This is a show that has brought a character back from the freaking dead... and you're arguing that a drunk shaping up and eventually becoming a badass is a bridge too far?
It all comes down to her name. People want her to become the Black Canary because her name is Dinah Lance. I don't really get this since the name still doesn't agree with any version of the comic book version Black Canary (I think). The name Lance was originally her husband's name and later, when it was her father's name, her mother was the original Black Canary. So the argument about being true to the comics only holds if we discover that Laurel and Sarah's mother had once been the Black Canary herself.

Feel free to poke holes in that because my memory could be wrong and I didn't feel like looking it up.
theenglish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16 2014, 10:15 PM   #651
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Is there such a thing yet as an automatic crossbow like they had in that crapfest VanHielsing?

Old February 16 2014, 10:16 PM   #652
LaxScrutiny
Commodore

Mirakuru, plus an infusion of Sara's katra, including all her years of training. Boom, there's Laurel as Black Canary in two simple, fast, and steps. Easy when you know how, really.

I'm not saying the writers should indeed make it that fast and easy. I'm just saying it can be done.
Well, we haven't seen "katra" used in this franchise. So even according to this recipe, Laurel as BC would be unprecedented.
Old February 16 2014, 10:23 PM   #653
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Well, they say that they heard about it from Seinfeld, and move on from there.

Old February 16 2014, 10:27 PM   #654
Hound of UIster
Rear Admiral

theenglish wrote: View Post
Because someone seems to think that Laurel is in a position to become a super hero within some reasonable time limit of the series run.

Right now she is not super, she is not normal, she is below a normal person. Unless she gets some super soldier serum, she has a LONGER path to being super than Sarah and Ollie did. This is my point.
You yourself brought up mirakuru. Between that and the gradual introduction of other powers, there's all sort of possible ways for her to eventually become super within the confines of the show's comic-book logic.

This is a show that has brought a character back from the freaking dead... and you're arguing that a drunk shaping up and eventually becoming a badass is a bridge too far?
It all comes down to her name. People want her to become the Black Canary because her name is Dinah Lance. I don't really get this since the name still doesn't agree with any version of the comic book version Black Canary (I think). The name Lance was originally her husband's name and later, when it was her father's name, her mother was the original Black Canary. So the argument about being true to the comics only holds if we discover that Laurel and Sarah's mother had once been the Black Canary herself.

Feel free to poke holes in that because my memory could be wrong and I didn't feel like looking it up.
Of course their mother was never the first Black Canary. So really who is going to be Black Canary is up in the air. It could be her or the sister. The sister's distance to becoming Black Canary is closer. She just has to get rid of the mask, add fishnets and add Black in front of her codename.
Old February 16 2014, 10:28 PM   #655
LaxScrutiny
Commodore

(Bad guy to Jerry..) "What happened to you on that island?"

(Jerry to Bad Guy...) "Funny you ask that. This guy was on an island and he says to this other guy..."
Old February 16 2014, 10:31 PM   #656
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

1. Alex Kingston is super hot, and could totally pull Oliver.

2. Unlike all the other contenders, her name is Dinah Lance.

Old February 16 2014, 10:34 PM   #657
LaxScrutiny
Commodore

1. Alex Kingston is super hot, and could totally pull Oliver.

2. Unlike all the other contenders, her name is Dinah Lance.
Hansel and Gretel had better crossbows.
Old February 27 2014, 01:24 AM   #658
LaxScrutiny
Commodore

New Arrow tonight:
Felicity feels left out when Oliver makes Sara a part of the team; a brilliant thief known as the Clock King arms himself with technology that can open bank vaults; Laurel refuses to attend a party for Sara.
Well, Laurel is being a b*tch and will have to grow up. Looking forward to Clock King, this should be a great villain.

Poor Felicity, but really, if she wants it that bad, she needs to put it out there.
Old February 27 2014, 01:37 AM   #659
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Is Felicity in love with Oliver?

It doesn't seem that she is, except for all the people telling her that she is, or telling Ollie that she is.

Old February 27 2014, 02:14 AM   #660
Icemizer
Fleet Captain

I wonder how long we can tease Kord Industies without meeting Kord himself.
Icemizer is offline   Reply With Quote