Voyager Bridge Via The Oculus Rift
By: T'Bonz on Apr 21

Miles Away Glyph Award Nominations
By: T'Bonz on Apr 21

Q Meets NuTrek Crew
By: T'Bonz on Apr 18

Pine In Talks For Drama
By: T'Bonz on Apr 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old October 27 2013, 12:15 AM   #136
kirk55555
Fleet Captain

Re: Arrow - Season 2

Geoff Peterson wrote: View Post
kirk55555 wrote: View Post
I get why they would age her, but why even use the name? No non comic fan knows about her, and its just confusing if you know the comic book version. Its not a huge deal. I doubt she'll get any real screen time, but its a bit annoying. I wish they'd stop using names that go so poorly with the characters they're using. Between the worst use of the Count Vertigo character's name possible, and Sin the 20 something punk, I'm starting to get worried that we'll be getting characters like Thomas Blake, the 80 year old vet who takes care of Deadshot's cat, or Carrie Cutter, a 15 year old Arrow fangirl who becomes a serial killer. Actually, that idea for Cuttler, aka Cupid, isn't horrible, but my point stands. They don't have to be strictly like the comic book characters, a lot of Arrow's good characters like Slade and Felicity aren't, but I'd prefer the name to atleast kind of fit, and not just be used because they wanted to use a name from the comics.
The Roy Harper in Arrow isn't a young teen who is the ward of Oliver Queen. Do you object to him?
I already said that I don’t need the show to match the comic, especially if they have a good idea. That said, Roy Harper is recognizable, and either way the name makes sense, as Arrow's Roy seems like he's similar enough to the concept of the character. Giving BC a random sidekick named after a 5 year old is just stupid, even if the name is connected to BC. They’ve already made BC an assassin, which I’m not a fan of even though I like the implication that Ra’s Al Ghul exists in the Arrow universe. She doesn’t need a sidekick, and I just don’t like that they’ve pulled a very unfitting character’s name to give to the sidekick. It’s like giving Roy a long lost twin sister named Lian Harper, or Olliver a second cousin named Conner Hawke. Both names are associated with Arrow characters, but neither of those contexts are the right way to use the names, and Sin is the same way. It doesn’t really matter. She’s practically an extra who just hangs out with BC and will probably be dead before the seasons done. She's easily ignored. Unless she somehow gets a story arc or a large amount of screentime, which I doubt she will, she’s just a minor annoyance in a great show.
kirk55555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27 2013, 12:31 AM   #137
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

kirk55555 wrote:
I already said that I don’t need the show to match the comic, especially if they have a good idea. That said, Roy Harper is recognizable, and either way the name makes sense, as Arrow's Roy seems like he's similar enough to the concept of the character. Giving BC a random sidekick named after a 5 year old is just stupid, even if the name is connected to BC. They’ve already made BC an assassin, which I’m not a fan of even though I like the implication that Ra’s Al Ghul exists in the Arrow universe. She doesn’t need a sidekick, and I just don’t like that they’ve pulled a very unfitting character’s name to give to the sidekick. It’s like giving Roy a long lost twin sister named Lian Harper, or Olliver a second cousin named Conner Hawke. Both names are associated with Arrow characters, but neither of those contexts are the right way to use the names, and Sin is the same way. It doesn’t really matter. She’s practically an extra who just hangs out with BC and will probably be dead before the seasons done. She's easily ignored. Unless she somehow gets a story arc or a large amount of screentime, which I doubt she will, she’s just a minor annoyance in a great show.
Last time I checked Roy Harper in the comics wasn't a street kid who dates Green Arrow's little sister. Other than being a ginger with a thing for red clothes, I'm not seeing much in common. Has TV-Roy even picked up a bow?

What about Sebastian Blood? His not much like Brother Blood in the comics, is he? What about using the name "Sin" for a character who is an ally of Black Canary pushes things over the line, but different takes on other characters don't?
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27 2013, 03:04 AM   #138
JD
Admiral

Geoff Peterson wrote: View Post
I get why they would age her, but why even use the name? No non comic fan knows about her, and its just confusing if you know the comic book version. Its not a huge deal. I doubt she'll get any real screen time, but its a bit annoying. I wish they'd stop using names that go so poorly with the characters they're using. Between the worst use of the Count Vertigo character's name possible, and Sin the 20 something punk, I'm starting to get worried that we'll be getting characters like Thomas Blake, the 80 year old vet who takes care of Deadshot's cat, or Carrie Cutter, a 15 year old Arrow fangirl who becomes a serial killer. Actually, that idea for Cuttler, aka Cupid, isn't horrible, but my point stands. They don't have to be strictly like the comic book characters, a lot of Arrow's good characters like Slade and Felicity aren't, but I'd prefer the name to atleast kind of fit, and not just be used because they wanted to use a name from the comics.
The Roy Harper in Arrow isn't a young teen who is the ward of Oliver Queen. Do you object to him?
I really don't see a problem with either of those examples that you use there. Sure they're not the exact same relationship to the characters as they are in the comics, but they're still relatives, and that is close enough for me. These are adaptations, not an exact recreation of the comics, and really as long as what we get is close to the comics then that's pretty good in my book.
Harry Dresden - Blood Rites (The Dresden Files #6)
JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31 2013, 01:43 AM   #139
Agent Richard07
Admiral

So now we know who the Canary is. Too bad they couldn't get Jacqueline MacInnes Wood back. Caity Lotz is good tho.

Also, I like that this show moves things along pretty quickly. They could drag things out more but they don't.

Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31 2013, 02:17 AM   #140
Dick Whitman
Fleet Captain

I have never MacInnes in anything but her appearance in the Pilot was so brief. They probably recast the part because they wanted someone who as up for playing this fully developed character. Instead of just a girl who probably chosen for her looks.
Dick Whitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31 2013, 02:26 AM   #141
Icemizer
Fleet Captain

What a terrific job the writers of this show are doing. Multiple stories being interwoven, cast members all having something to do, new ideas being dropped in every week, simply excellent.
Officer Lance had a couple great scenes this week and there was enough action to keep me happy as well. I wish the majority of my monthly comics were as well developed as this show.
Icemizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31 2013, 02:37 AM   #142
Dick Whitman
Fleet Captain

I have no idea what they are doing with Green Arrow in the comics now but I would imagine this is superior. In fact it might be one of the best versions of Green Arrow. It will certainly help define the character in all media now on.

This is the first time flashbacks on the island were directly connect to present day events. I wonder how long this will continue. Sarah asked what happened to SLade. Oliver did not answer. I suspect they are saving that revelation until later. Maybe even this season.
Dick Whitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31 2013, 04:13 AM   #143
sojourner
Vice Admiral

Love that this show manages to cram so much in to one hour. Could have sworn when Ollie got shot that was a cliffhanger ending to the episode, then I hit "info" on the DVR and see that only 33 minutes had passed, lol.

Just realized the actress playing Sin is the same one that played the streetwise runaway from season 3 of The Killing. At least she didn't have to grow her hair out much.

Seems like they are introducing several different seeds for super powers on the show. The misshapen skeletons, the particle accelerator, Whatever Blood is working on.

Did I detect a bit of envy in the way Felicity interrupted Laurel and Ollie's talk at the party?

Anybody else notice that Sarah was wearing the same hat as the one from the photo from last season's episode where they thought she might be alive?

It's a shame, Sarah looks more like how I imagine Black Canary than Laurel, based on just the face. Laurel just looks too pouty.

Loved them borrowing each other's weapons in the fight.

Looks like Digg has a new prospect.

Great episode all round.
Old October 31 2013, 07:25 AM   #144
Kestrel
Vice Admiral

It's kind of ridiculous just how good this show is. THE best comics show I've ever seen, absolutely.

Hopefully Sarah continues to play a major role in the show - honestly while I like Laurel well enough, I don't need to see her become Canary or anything. I love how they didn't play around with hinting or teasing her identity - they went straight for it, and it really worked IMO. Looking forward to more of her backstory with Ollie. Mildly surprised they so quickly revealed Blood's true nature, but glad for it really.

Is this the first episode that didn't have Mama Queen in it at all?
"Lie to me."
Kestrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31 2013, 07:43 AM   #145
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Barry Allen is on the fricking horizon.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 31 2013, 05:46 PM   #146
Savage Dragon
TheSeeker

I love that they haven't been trying to stretch things out. Great episode all around, although you can put me in the minority in that I am not all that crazy about Caity Lotz as Black Canary.
Savage Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31 2013, 07:02 PM   #147
trekkiebaggio
Vice Admiral

View trekkiebaggio's Twitter Profile

Yep, great episode. I think many of us were wondering how they were going to fill out the island storyline for all five years, well now there's going to be a lot of stuff with Sarah.

I liked how he still told Felicity and Digg that the last time he saw her was on the Gambit. There's some big secret that he's still holding onto.

Loved them using each other's weapons, and Brother Blood at th end was cool. I like the subtle hints to the particle accelerator as well. Is Flash supposed to come into it before or after Christmas?

Man of Yesterday - My blog: movie, books and board game reviews.
trekkiebaggio is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 31 2013, 07:19 PM   #148
Gryffindorian
Vice Admiral

I enjoyed it, but just how many people could you get stranded on an island and come back years later as an extremely skilled martial artist or archer? I mean, I would love to get stranded on a tropical island somewhere for that reason. Since there was no indication that Laurel was going to be the Black Canary from the beginning, yes, it makes sense to have another character play it. But come on, her own sister, who was presumed dead like Ollie all those years?
Old October 31 2013, 07:23 PM   #149
Icemizer
Fleet Captain

I dont know how long she will be on the boat with Ollie. She has to die in a way that Ollie sees and then go get trained by the league. That should take a few years at least.
Right now I really cant and dont want to see Laural taking her place as Canary either.
So this means the whole Lance family is alive and well...someone has to die.
Icemizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31 2013, 08:21 PM   #150
trekkiebaggio
Vice Admiral

View trekkiebaggio's Twitter Profile

Icemizer wrote: View Post
I dont know how long she will be on the boat with Ollie. She has to die in a way that Ollie sees and then go get trained by the league. That should take a few years at least.
Right now I really cant and dont want to see Laural taking her place as Canary either.
So this means the whole Lance family is alive and well...someone has to die.
I'd guess Detective Lance, probably just after he discovers that Ollie is Arrow.

Man of Yesterday - My blog: movie, books and board game reviews.
trekkiebaggio is online now   Reply With Quote