Kirk’s Well Wishes To Kirk
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Quinto In New Starz Series
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Star Trek: Horizon Film
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Star Trek: Fleet Captains Game Expansion
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old October 11 2013, 04:25 AM   #1
ChowdaHead
Lieutenant Commander

Large scale battles in future Trek

This may just be my imagination running wild, and some may argue this quite un-trek, but would any of you welcome large scale battle on the landscapes of a planet in a future Trek film? It is widely assumed the Klingons will do battle with the Federation in the next film. Would a glorious scene of Klingon invasion be of opposition? It could be really cool to see done, if done well. Though, i know for a ground attack to take place many factors would have to be taken into account. But if written well, it shouldnt be impossible. I personally love a ship vs. ship battle as much as the next Star Trek lover, but you have to admit, it would be interesting!
ChowdaHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11 2013, 04:31 AM   #2
R. Star
Rear Admiral

Re: Large scale battles in future Trek

The last movie featured a huge black ship that may as well have been named USS EVIL with antagonists featuring corrupt admirals bent on starting wars along with a genocidal superman. I think any concerns of being "unTrek" have long since sailed for the production staff.

You weren't specific at all, but are you meaning a ground battle? The problem with that is... plausibility of getting the good guys into the situation when they're trained to work on starships. Not impossible, but not quite what Kirk and company do. This is even assuming the Klingons are the villains in the next film which isn't at all certain.

Welcome to the board, by the way.
Old October 11 2013, 04:39 AM   #3
Melakon
Rear Admiral

Fifty years ago, epic large scale ground battles were done with a "cast of thousands" of extras. These days, they're done with thousands of cgi characters. The latter types don't really excite me as much.

I'm not chomping at the bit for large scale space battles in Star Trek. Star Wars seems to handle that type of stuff well enough. Though a major attack on a starbase might be interesting, as long as it's not Earth as the major planet.
Old October 11 2013, 07:30 AM   #4
MasterDebater
Cadet

I'd rather not see that. I loved the large-scale battles in DS9, but those only worked because DS9 was a 170+ episode TV show and had the oppurtunity to spend plenty of time building up to the Dominion War with diplomacy and political intrigue episodes. There's an inherent sampling bias with a 2-hour movie, and I believe that a full-scale space battle would be too much.

Granted, that's not to say it can't work, but I do have doubts.
MasterDebater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11 2013, 07:54 AM   #5
LMFAOschwarz
Captain

I'm inclined to agree with the last two posters. Probably just my taste, too, that leans toward preferring smaller-scale stuff , if nothing else for clarity's sake. Imagine watching a boxing match with fifty boxers in the ring at once...
LMFAOschwarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11 2013, 11:18 AM   #6
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.

I agree about DS9, that was epic because of all the smaller scale life that preceded it. In a movie it's just one more action scene.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 11 2013, 11:25 AM   #7
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

The first (and IMO best) big battle in DS9 was "Way of the Warrior" and it had a grand total of 50 minutes of build. A nuTrek battle, with LOTR-scale armies of Klingons on the ground and hundreds of ships fighting above could be even more awesome than that.
Old October 11 2013, 07:02 PM   #8
ChowdaHead
Lieutenant Commander

GoRe Star wrote: View Post
The last movie featured a huge black ship that may as well have been named USS EVIL with antagonists featuring corrupt admirals bent on starting wars along with a genocidal superman. I think any concerns of being "unTrek" have long since sailed for the production staff.

You weren't specific at all, but are you meaning a ground battle? The problem with that is... plausibility of getting the good guys into the situation when they're trained to work on starships. Not impossible, but not quite what Kirk and company do. This is even assuming the Klingons are the villains in the next film which isn't at all certain.

Welcome to the board, by the way.
correct, ground battle. hence why i said on landscapes of a planet. maybe i should have been more specific though. and thanks for the warm greetings!
Old October 11 2013, 07:06 PM   #9
ChowdaHead
Lieutenant Commander

King Daniel Into Darkness wrote: View Post
The first (and IMO best) big battle in DS9 was "Way of the Warrior" and it had a grand total of 50 minutes of build. A nuTrek battle, with LOTR-scale armies of Klingons on the ground and hundreds of ships fighting above could be even more awesome than that.
^this is exactly what i was implying. i would agree that it might seem too farfetched for Star Trek. but i also think its possible if done the right way.
Old October 11 2013, 07:24 PM   #10
Nero's Shadow
Captain

Send a message via Yahoo to Nero's Shadow

Wasn't Star Trek about exploring strange new worlds ??? I'm a great believer on big action scenes but lets not forget about Star Trek isn't about WAR !!!
Old October 11 2013, 08:14 PM   #11
suarezguy
Commodore

I think that both the original series and the reboot universe strongly imply that there are very few Federation starships, at least comparable to the Enterprise, so a mass battle would be pretty jarring.
Old October 11 2013, 09:09 PM   #12
WarpFactorZ
Captain

What good are huge armies when you have starships that can obliterate them (or even stun them) from orbit? Nah, I'm for a pass on this idea. Too much Star Wars meet LOTR meets 300 meets etc....

Trek has never been about armies. It's about what three guys can do on their own, assisted by the backing of a starship.
WarpFactorZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11 2013, 09:33 PM   #13
Kelthaz
Commodore

suarezguy wrote: View Post
I think that both the original series and the reboot universe strongly imply that there are very few Federation starships, at least comparable to the Enterprise, so a mass battle would be pretty jarring.
There was a mass battle in the first film between Nero's ship and a Federation fleet, but it was off screen.

"I'm the locksmith. And... I'm the locksmith."
Kelthaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11 2013, 10:11 PM   #14
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

That was still only seven Federation ships, compared to the hundreds seen in DS9. Although we were told of a "primary fleet" which was busy elsewhere, hence Starfleet crewing ships with cadets.

The unseen battle at the Klingon prison planet was bigger, 47 Klingon warbirds were destroyed.
Old October 11 2013, 11:16 PM   #15
bbjeg
Rear Admiral

I'm not big on a star trek ground battle but I would like to see a fleet of ships in action.