RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 138,408
Members: 24,630
Currently online: 495
Newest member: DasGeneral

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science and Technology

Science and Technology "Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." - Carl Sagan.

Old October 26 2013, 11:24 AM   #1
Metryq
Captain

GPS tracking projectile

As seen in GHOST IN THE SHELL:

Crime-fighting tech uses tracking projectile to tail suspect vehicles

Police in Iowa used a new piece of crime-fighting technology to track a vehicle without the danger of a pursuit.

The StarChase system - a pursuit reduction device that contains a miniature GPS module encased in a tracking projectile – was used during an incident on Wednesday in Des Moines.

According to CBS12.com, officers launched the tracking projectile from their vehicle into the vehicle they were pursuing. They then stopped the chase and were able to track the subject as they drove into Omaha.

Officials told CBS12.com that once the driver thinks the officer has stopped giving chase they slow to normal speeds, reducing the chance of injury to other motorists on the road.

While effective, the technology is expensive. CBS12.com says the system costs $5,000 – with each round costing $500.
Old October 27 2013, 09:59 PM   #2
publiusr
Commodore

Re: GPS tracking projectile

Maybe that will limit high speed chases and the wrecks caused by them
publiusr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28 2013, 02:40 AM   #3
Melakon
Vice Admiral

Next step: miniaturized warheads.
Old October 28 2013, 03:46 AM   #4
sojourner
Vice Admiral

$5000 with each shell costing $500??? Sounds like they are getting ripped. A paint gun with bullets made of glue and dog tracking gps chips would be about 1/10th the price.
Old October 28 2013, 04:43 AM   #5
JustAFriend
Commodore

Cheaper per round and stops the chase:

JustAFriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28 2013, 11:43 AM   #6
Metryq
Captain

JustAFriend wrote: View Post
Cheaper per round and stops the chase

This is the approach Batou would take, removing the safety from his tachikoma's cannon. A less destructive method would be some kind of directional EMP weapon to knock out a vehicle's electronics. I've been reading about such developments for years—new ones keep appearing all the time—yet I never hear of a system being deployed by any police department. Perhaps they are too expensive, cause collateral damage, or have some other problem.

The first microwave beam weapon of this sort that I recall seeing was on a private blog. An engineer who works with high energy systems tinkered together a microwave horn that could temporarily knock out electronics. (Most EMP devices destroy electronics, as in permanently.) The engineer posted schematics and a demo video. He mounted a camera over his directional antenna, so the viewer could see the line of fire.

The video began with a running PC about 10 meters away and off to the right of the frame. At the bottom of the frame a red light came on, indicating the microwave antenna was transmitting. Then the view panned until the PC was centered and BINGO! The CRT (yes, it was that long ago) flipped out and went black, although its green power light remained on. After a few seconds, the microwave light went dark, and the PC could be seen rebooting in the background.

I may have the video somewhere in my archives, but I never downloaded the schematics. A later visit to the blog showed that the schematics had been pulled. The engineer explained that a few "fans" were using the device irresponsibly.
Old October 28 2013, 04:53 PM   #7
Lindley
Moderator with a Soul

Is there some reason the cops can't just launch a small quadcopter and have a remote pilot fly it after the vehicle?
Lindley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28 2013, 05:28 PM   #8
Robert Maxwell
Not Your Toy

View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell

Can they even go fast enough for that? I don't know how fast quadcopters can go, but police chases easily exceed 60 mph and I've not been under the impression that quadcopters are particularly fast, nor very maneuverable.
My blog
Robert Maxwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28 2013, 05:37 PM   #9
Lindley
Moderator with a Soul

Maneuverability isn't that important when you're twenty feet up. Speed is a concern, though.
Old October 28 2013, 05:38 PM   #10
sojourner
Vice Admiral

Lindley wrote: View Post
Is there some reason the cops can't just launch a small quadcopter and have a remote pilot fly it after the vehicle?
That requires more training to pilot the thing, rather than just firing a tracking device at the car.
Old October 28 2013, 05:39 PM   #11
Lindley
Moderator with a Soul

sojourner wrote: View Post
Lindley wrote: View Post
That requires more training to pilot the thing, rather than just firing a tracking device at the car.
True, but it's reusable. And there's no particular reason the pilot has to be on-site. One per police division would probably be good enough.
Old October 28 2013, 05:46 PM   #12
Robert Maxwell
Not Your Toy

View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell

The real answer to your question is that cops already use real helicopters for that purpose.

I'm cool with the GPS tracking system, though, especially if it cuts down on high-speed chases. It would save money and lives.
My blog
Old October 28 2013, 07:23 PM   #13
Lindley
Moderator with a Soul

TheRedPill wrote: View Post
The real answer to your question is that cops already use real helicopters for that purpose.
The advantage of a quadcopter over a helicopter (aside from fitting places a helicopter can't, like a tunnel or parking garage) is that they can be carried by any squad car for quick deployment as needed.
Old October 28 2013, 07:29 PM   #14
Metryq
Captain

TheRedPill wrote: View Post
It would save money and lives.
That's the relevant point—even if $500 a shot seems "expensive," it is still less expensive than the damages incurred in high speed chases.

Of course, if the police had Reliant's command code... (And yes, such systems already exist, but work only on ultra-modern cars so equipped.)
Old October 28 2013, 09:15 PM   #15
Robert Maxwell
Not Your Toy

Police do take advantage of the OnStar remote shutdown system, when it's available.
My blog