Greenwood Cast In Truth
By: T'Bonz on Oct 28

Cumberbatch In Talks For Strange
By: T'Bonz on Oct 28

Two New Trek Bobble Heads
By: T'Bonz on Oct 27

Meaney On Playing Historical Figure Durant
By: T'Bonz on Oct 27

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

Old October 1 2013, 07:34 PM   #1
Mark_Nguyen
Commodore

In regeneration, do you look forward to the end, or the beginning?

Now, I happen to believe that a true regeneration story in Doctor Who SHOULD contain both everything leading up to the actual event, and the first moments afterwards as the new guy looks about and starts his time. But the other current thread on regeneration got me thinking - when you take in a story that involves one Doctor changing to the next, what do you look forward to more: the previous Doctor's final moments, or the first ones of the next? Discuss.

Mark

Oh, I like that Trek thing too...
Mark_Nguyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1 2013, 07:38 PM   #2
antichristhill
Fleet Admiral

Re: In regeneration, do you look forward to the end, or the beginning?

Well, if I liked the previous Doctor, I certainly don't look forward to him leaving, but I do like to see him get a decent send-off. Beginnings are always exciting, so I definitely look forward to that. So I suppose it's both; I'm curious to see how the old one leaves and how the new one starts.
antichristhill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 1 2013, 08:00 PM   #3
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

^ What auntie said.

In the last 2 cases, I knew little about either Tennant or Smith before they began. So I suppose I was treasuring the last moments of Eccleston and then Tennant respectively more than I was looking forward to their respective successors.

However, while Smith is actually my favourite Doctor, I do know a lot about Peter Capaldi and am looking forward to seeing his Doctor, even as I dread Matt leaving. My sadness at Matt's departure is tempered by the knowledge that Peter will be great. Although both David and Matt were of course great, I didn't know enough about them when they first were cast to have that sort of confidence in them.
Old October 1 2013, 08:43 PM   #4
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

I think regeneration stories are always about the ending of a current Doctor and having him go out in style. Having a new Doctor emerge at the end is undeniably a dramatic payoff, but it's more like with every ending there's a new beginning...
Old October 1 2013, 09:32 PM   #5
Green Lantern
Fleet Captain

In The End of Time, I was just wanting the regeneration to hurry up as I wanted to see the next doctor, but I think this time I'll try and just enjoy a good story.
Green Lantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2 2013, 12:50 PM   #6
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

I think, for the regeneration story itself, I prefer a proper send-off. The new Doctor's appearance is often zany and jarring. However, given the choice between the last episode of the old Doctor and the first full episode with the newest Doctor, I usually look forward to seeing what the new Doctor can do. The show is about rejuvenation and reinvention as much as anything else.

But the reveal of the new Doctor has almost, by necessity, seemed to involve him acting like a crazy person trying to figure out what he looks like. It's hard to get a real sense of personality based on just that.
Old October 2 2013, 06:17 PM   #7
Mark_Nguyen
Commodore

Very true - and in most cases, the new guy has only seconds to make an impression before the audience is given MONTHS to ponder on what it means. While I don't like the waiting, it's obvious the producers bank on that to increase hype for following stories.

Mark

Oh, I like that Trek thing too...
Mark_Nguyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2 2013, 06:28 PM   #8
Green Lantern
Fleet Captain

Yeah, in the End of Time when I first saw Smith, I thought to myself "fuck me he's crazy, he's definitely going to be my favourite doctor soon!" But that never happened. Far from it.
Green Lantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2 2013, 09:42 PM   #9
Emperor-Tiberius
Fleet Captain

Strange thing, though - neither Ten or Eleven were that far off in their first appearences.

That said, in a regeneration story I kinda have some expectations - a story that encapsulates the incarnation, his history and importance, and as such a fitting end for that chapter. The regeneration itself is, certainly, something to look forward to, but not at the expense of the story. One of the things I WANT the Christmas special to come to be is, Matt Smith's Doctor's last story. It has to be, and has to be one that fits his era and characterization. I don't want to have Peter Capaldi's Doctor appear 30 minutes before the end - I want him to be there for a minute or two. Thats how it should be, I think.
"Seventy eight point four years, Doctor."

The Holy Three meet again, in The Return
Emperor-Tiberius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 3 2013, 02:43 AM   #10
The Borgified Corpse
Admiral

Location: Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down there 20 minutes ago.

I suppose, when I first go into it, I'm more interested in the old Doctor's ending. But, on repeat viewings, once I've gotten to know the new Doctor a bit better, I'm more interested in seeing him show up. At least, that's definately how I've felt about "The End of Time." When I first watched it, I really wasn't sure about Matt Smith at all. I was more caught up in Tennant's departure (even as I was screaming for him to get on with it!). But now that Smith as firmly established himself as one of my favorite Doctors, I've found that the last 2 minutes of "The End of Time" is my favorite part of the episode. Now, when Matt Smith shows up, it's like my old friend has finally arrived.
Old October 3 2013, 01:35 PM   #11
Emperor-Tiberius
Fleet Captain

There is that, too. I recall something similar when I rewatched the Bad Wolf two-parter and the Born Again scene for the Children in Need effort after End of Time, and was really pleasantly surprised to see Ten again, knowing how he will evolve over time.

Still, thats something that is dependant on the likeability of the succesor. I like Six, but I don't think anyone really looks forward to his appearence in Caves of Androzani, in which his arrogance nearly ruins the lovely farewell to previous incarnation.

Old October 4 2013, 02:44 AM   #12
The Borgified Corpse
Admiral

Location: Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down there 20 minutes ago.

I dunno. Colin Baker's arrogance in those final moments of "The Caves of Androzani" is a good concentrated dose of 6th Doctor in just a few moments. For what it is and who he is, I think it works very well. I don't think it takes anything away from Peter Davison's farewell.

And it's the first time that any new Doctor really did anything worth mentioning at the end of a regeneration story anyway.
Old October 4 2013, 01:42 PM   #13
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral

View The Mirrorball Man's Twitter Profile

The Borgified Corpse wrote: View Post
I dunno. Colin Baker's arrogance in those final moments of "The Caves of Androzani" is a good concentrated dose of 6th Doctor in just a few moments. For what it is and who he is, I think it works very well. I don't think it takes anything away from Peter Davison's farewell.

And it's the first time that any new Doctor really did anything worth mentioning at the end of a regeneration story anyway.
I agree, I think it's a very effective transition.
Old October 4 2013, 07:03 PM   #14
Emperor-Tiberius
Fleet Captain

The stark contrast between them is effective, yes, because the Doctor there seems to showcase how he'll be from now on. Problem is, though, that its he wasn't very good while in those years. Big Finish aside, the Sixth Doctor almost completely doesn't work on the TV stories - and thats not Baker's fault, certainly, but the way with which JNT forced his characterization down the throats of millions of viewers.

But yeah, he doesn't ruin Caves of Androzani. However, he does characterize some of the worst scripts of that period - I honestly believe season 22 to be the worst Doctor Who season, ever.

Old October 5 2013, 12:34 AM   #15
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

That's a good point. He set a precedent for what was to follow.