Mulgrew: Playing Red
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

Hallmark 2015 Trek Ornaments
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

Funko Mini Spock
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

IDW Publishing Comic Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Old October 3 2013, 02:08 PM   #1
DavidGutierrez
Lieutenant

Starfleeters?

What should we call folks who are in Starfleet? Folks in the army are called soldiers, folks in the air force are called airmen, in the navy they're sailors, and don't call a marine anything other than a marine. Even in the coast guard they're guardsmen!

So, what the heck should we call folks in Starfleet? Crewmen? Explorers? Starfleeters? Starfleet officers is most commonly heard in canon (even when referring to Chief O'Brien), but that doesn't begin to cover everyone in Starfleet.

Thoughts?
Old October 3 2013, 02:15 PM   #2
The Wormhole
Admiral

Re: Starfleeters?

Starfleet officer has worked for the past 47 years, I say we go with that.
Old October 3 2013, 02:17 PM   #3
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

I just go with Starfleet personnel.
Old October 3 2013, 02:27 PM   #4
DavidGutierrez
Lieutenant

The Wormhole wrote: View Post
What about all the chiefs, NCOs, and enlisted men and women? They aren't represented in that term. The great thing about the term "sailors" is that it represents every member of a navy, not just the officers. And, it seems very likely that the officers are the minority in Starfleet.

No, we need something better.
Old October 3 2013, 02:57 PM   #5
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

DavidGutierrez wrote: View Post
What about all the chiefs, NCOs, and enlisted men and women? They aren't represented in that term.
I could see that being used in the same sense that "police officer" is used for a beat cop even if that person doesn't really have an officer rank. It works if we lose the idea that Starfleet is exactly like the U.S. Navy and more of its own thing.
Old October 3 2013, 03:03 PM   #6
The Wormhole
Admiral

DavidGutierrez wrote: View Post
What about all the chiefs, NCOs, and enlisted men and women? They aren't represented in that term. The great thing about the term "sailors" is that it represents every member of a navy, not just the officers. And, it seems very likely that the officers are the minority in Starfleet.

No, we need something better.
Considering Chief O'Brien is the only enlisted man in all Starfleet, this isn't much of an issue.
Old October 3 2013, 03:36 PM   #7
BigJake
Rear Admiral

I personally think "galanaut" has a nice ring to it. We have just, by sheer coincidence, always cut away from any scene where someone might have used the term right before they said it.
Old October 3 2013, 06:29 PM   #8
T'Girl
Vice Admiral

C.E. Evans wrote: View Post
I could see that being used in the same sense that "police officer" is used for a beat cop even if that person doesn't really have an officer rank.
That my take on it, Roddenberry was a LA cop like his father, everyone being a Starfleet "officer" wouldn't depend on whether or not you held a officers commission.

But other than that Starfleet is of course exactly like the US Navy.

T'Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3 2013, 06:41 PM   #9
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

T'Girl wrote: View Post
I could see that being used in the same sense that "police officer" is used for a beat cop even if that person doesn't really have an officer rank.
That my take on it, Roddenberry was a LA cop like his father, everyone being a Starfleet "officer" wouldn't depend on whether or not you held a officers commission.

But other than that Starfleet is of course exactly like the US Navy.
Oh, there's plenty of instances in which Starfleet isn't like the U.S. Navy, namely in regards to its chain of command and some personnel practices.
Old October 3 2013, 06:44 PM   #10
J.T.B.
Commodore

I could see that being used in the same sense that "police officer" is used for a beat cop even if that person doesn't really have an officer rank. It works if we lose the idea that Starfleet is exactly like the U.S. Navy and more of its own thing.
That doesn't seem to be a great fit, as police forces don't generally have a commissioned/enlisted division, which Starfleet apparently does, so there is no issue of confusion. Also "police officer" is related to the older term "peace officer," not descended from military titles the way Starfleet's ranks appear to be.

Considering Chief O'Brien is the only enlisted man in all Starfleet, this isn't much of an issue.
Or if there are more, nobody seems to care much about them. Maybe in the spirit of Gilligan's Island they could just be "Starfleet officers, and the rest!"
J.T.B. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 3 2013, 06:46 PM   #11
R. Star
Rear Admiral

Except even O'brien has been described under that label of "Starfleet officer."
Old October 3 2013, 07:18 PM   #12
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

J.T.B. wrote: View Post
That doesn't seem to be a great fit, as police forces don't generally have a commissioned/enlisted division,
It fits all right, but a police force's chain of command can vary from city to city.

In some cities:
Chief of Police (or Police Commissioner)
Colonel
Major
Captain
Lieutenant

Sergeant
Detective
Corporal
Officer

Other cities may include or substitute ranks with Sheriff, Commander, Inspector, Deputy, and more. Other cities have different placement of ranks, placing Detective higher in their chain of command than in others.
Old October 3 2013, 07:22 PM   #13
J.T.B.
Commodore

It fits all right, but it can vary from city to city.

In some cities:
Colonel
Major
Captain
Lieutenant

Sergeant
Detective
Corporal
Officer

Other cities may include or substitute ranks with Sheriff, Commander, Inspector, Deputy, and more. Other cities have different placement of ranks, placing Detective higher in their chain of command than in others.
Right, but those are just titles. There is not a distinction between police officers who hold commissions and those who don't.
J.T.B. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 3 2013, 07:35 PM   #14
Bry_Sinclair
Commodore

I have used "Starfleeter" before, but that is always in a more relaxed manner--never really official by any standards, often used by civilians.
Old October 3 2013, 08:07 PM   #15
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

J.T.B. wrote: View Post
It fits all right, but it can vary from city to city.

In some cities:
Colonel
Major
Captain
Lieutenant

Sergeant
Detective
Corporal
Officer

Right, but those are just titles. There is not a distinction between police officers who hold commissions and those who don't.
But the set up (which is my point) is the same way, including having different insignia--and in some police departments, different duty uniforms as well--for those with the rank of lieutenant and up. They're all referred to as police officers regardless if they are a corporal or a colonel.

Last edited by C.E. Evans; October 3 2013 at 08:23 PM.
C.E. Evans is offline   Reply With Quote