IDW Publishing January Comics
By: T'Bonz on Oct 20

Retro Review: Chrysalis
By: Michelle on Oct 18

The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Old October 11 2013, 10:05 PM   #76
Brown-Eyed Ghoul
Vice Admiral

Re: USA and UK surviving into the Trek era

Unspeakable wrote: View Post
Sulu said that he was born in San Francisco, that would make him a American by birth. Of course, that makes the assumption that the city of San Francisco is part of the United States in the 23rd century.
A lot of people wonder whether it's a part of the United States now.
Old October 11 2013, 10:17 PM   #77
George Steinbrenner
Fleet Admiral

View George Steinbrenner's Twitter Profile

^ Hey, I liked SF when I was there this summer. I thought it was pretty cool. Definitely not as miserable as L.A.

Geoff Peterson wrote: View Post
My theory is most of the Bay Area is a Federal District that houses most the Federation's government offices.
I'd like to think that there is no more need for things like this in Trek's time.

MacLeod wrote: View Post
SO where do we think the UE Government sits, Geneva?
Paris, I think.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
George Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11 2013, 10:47 PM   #78
Geoff Peterson
Fleet Admiral

Beijing
Old October 11 2013, 10:49 PM   #79
Geoff Peterson
Fleet Admiral

Hollywood Werewolf wrote: View Post
Sulu said that he was born in San Francisco, that would make him a American by birth. Of course, that makes the assumption that the city of San Francisco is part of the United States in the 23rd century.
A lot of people wonder whether it's a part of the United States now.
No, that's Berkeley.
Old October 11 2013, 10:59 PM   #80
Elvira
Vice Admiral

George Steinbrenner wrote: View Post
My theory is most of the Bay Area is a Federal District that houses most the Federation's government offices.
I'd like to think that there is no more need for things like this in Trek's time.
Government offices?

Paris, I think.
Maybe they'll do what America, Brazil and some others did and build a purpose built capital (like Washington D.C.), instead of locating it in a pre-existing city. Definitely should not be inside one of the United Earth's member countries. Perhaps a not too isolated island somewhere, connected to the mainland by a long causeway.

Make it so there are no residences in the capital itself, to avoid the problem we have in America with the endless high pitch whining from people who live in Washington D.C.

Elvira is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 11 2013, 11:07 PM   #81
Geoff Peterson
Fleet Admiral

Government offices?
I'm trying to figure out what he means, too. They'll have to have offices, organizations and people to staff them. Its not going to be self serve.
Old October 12 2013, 01:17 AM   #82
George Steinbrenner
Fleet Admiral

I meant, there'd be no need for those government offices to have their own district.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Old October 12 2013, 01:17 AM   #83
Lance
Commodore

You know, I don't see any evidence that the US and UK governments did exist in the Star Trek future. Just because a country decides to maintain it's traditions (which explains the Union Flag being visible in London in Star Trek Into Darkness) doesn't necessarily infer they aren't part of a world government. And has there ever been a mention of the UK Prime Minister in Star Trek's time? No. Likewise the United States. No Star Trek story ever revolved around the President Of The United States. Plenty of stories have involved the Federation President, but no White House, no national congress.

My own view is that countries still exist in Star Trek's future, but their individual governments are more like local councils. The traditional sovereign borders probably still exist "on a map", but movement between them is free because the planet is united under a single government, and territorial imperitives are no longer a going concern. So things like the Union Flag in STID are more about a country maintaining it's cultural identity, in a world where the 'United Kingdom' doesn't practically exist per se, at least not in the form that it does in our own current world.
Lance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12 2013, 01:19 AM   #84
George Steinbrenner
Fleet Admiral

Lance wrote: View Post
You know, I don't see any evidence that the US and UK governments did exist in the Star Trek future.
In ENT, Malcolm Reed's father and uncle served in the Royal Navy. Also, in the scene where Malcolm goes to meet with his Section 31 contact, a USA address is given (and identified as such).
Old October 12 2013, 01:26 AM   #85
Lance
Commodore

^ Ah, well, I admit I am less familiar with Enterprise than the other Trek shows, so I stand duly corrected sir. Of course, we might therefore theorize that in ENT, existing as it does during an 'earlier phase' of the great United Earth experiment (and by its own admission definitely before the formation of the UFP as it is seen in other versions of Star Trek), individual governments and sovereign borders were still maintained in a fashion not dis-similar to how they exist today.
Old October 12 2013, 01:31 AM   #86
George Steinbrenner
Fleet Admiral

There's an easy explanation why we rarely see other countries in Trek's time: There's no need for it in the story. Hell, most Trek hardly even visited Earth at all.

And United Earth has been around for 30 years by the time ENT comes into play, so I'd assume the experimentation was over by that point.

FWIW, the novels do go into more detail on this point: Countries still exist, and always will. There's a SNW story set shortly after the Breen attack on SF, for example, where the city is visited by the Federation President, the United Earth Prime Minister, and the President of the United States.
Old October 12 2013, 01:53 AM   #87
Lance
Commodore

There's an easy explanation why we rarely see other countries in Trek's time: There's no need for it in the story. Hell, most Trek hardly even visited Earth at all.
This is the nub of the matter and is certainly very true. We have little evidence of how Earth goverments work in Star Trek, not because it is stated outright on screen, but precisely because it isn't stated on screen. Part of Roddenberry's original format states (I think) that the series should not make a habit of returning to Earth, which is precisely why we know so very little about how the 23rd/24th century Earth governments operate. The appearance of a Union Flag in STID is therefore not a contradiction, it's simply that we've not seen that kind of "on the ground" detail of Star Trek's future Earth ever before.
Old October 12 2013, 02:14 AM   #88
Geoff Peterson
Fleet Admiral

I meant, there'd be no need for those government offices to have their own district.
Because of hitech communication?
Old October 12 2013, 02:17 AM   #89
George Steinbrenner
Fleet Admiral

^ Because of the end of the antiquated notion that such districts need to exist in the first place. Just put them in a city like any other and be done with it.

And yes, DC should be a state.
Old October 12 2013, 02:35 AM   #90
Geoff Peterson
Fleet Admiral

^ Because of the end of the antiquated notion that such districts need to exist in the first place. Just put them in a city like any other and be done with it.

And yes, DC should be a state.
What's wrong with the concept and why is it "antiquated"? Obviously there is a problem with the status of DC, but why would every Federal District have to be like DC?