To Be Takei Review by Spencer Blohm
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

Mulgrew: Playing Red

Hallmark 2015 Trek Ornaments

Funko Mini Spock
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Old October 12 2013, 09:45 AM   #1
Jimmy_C
Fleet Captain

How do I start my roommate on Star Trek?

I pretty much love Star Trek. My roommate; however, is kinda scared to watch it.

He hasn't seen much science fiction before I moved into the apartment. However, when I got him to watch the new Battlestar Galatica, my roommate got hooked and loved it (except he hated the last episode)! Besides BSG, my roommate liked the new Avengers movie, loved how fun Pacific Rim was, but hated Elysium. He just saw Star Wars for the first time a few weeks ago too.

I'm not sure which episodes or series to start him off with. He doesn't like action that much; and he loves literature. However, he dislikes technobable and the "geeky" parts of sci-fi. Which episodes do you guys and gals recommend?
Old October 12 2013, 11:33 AM   #2
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.
Re: How do I start my roommate on Star Trek?

The "geeky" parts? Like the science?

Deep Space Nine.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 12 2013, 01:59 PM   #3
Lance
Fleet Captain

Jimmy_C wrote: View Post
How do I start my roommate on Star Trek?
Oh, the usual way: start with a small sample of 'Star Trek' for free. You know, just enough 'Star Trek' to get them hooked on it. And then you tell them they can only get more 'Star Trek' if they're willing to pay for their next fix.....

Seriously though, the best way to break the boundry is not to appear like you're pushing it to them (yeah okay, I'll stop with the drugs analogies now ). Do you think they might be into something philosophical? I've found that "Measure Of A Man" truly can be a good one for these kinds of people because it deals with a lot of really interesting issues without turning it into something too fantastical. The "geek factor" of that one is minimal because it's really just a dressed up court room drama.

EDIT: Or, as Teacake says above, anybody who loved BSG should dig DS9.....
Lance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12 2013, 02:03 PM   #4
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

I'm not sure which episodes or series to start him off with. He doesn't like action that much; and he loves literature. However, he dislikes technobable and the "geeky" parts of sci-fi. Which episodes do you guys and gals recommend?
The Cage and Where No Man Has Gone Before.

Big guns, fist fights and a little deep thinking.
Old October 12 2013, 02:11 PM   #5
Bad Thoughts
Fleet Captain

Trouble with the Tribbles, Yesteryday's Enterprise, The Way of the Warrior, Lifesigns, and Shuttlepod One: an episode from each series which gives the taste of the characters and conflicts without giving too much away.
Bad Thoughts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12 2013, 03:57 PM   #6
bbjeg
Vice Admiral

^Something like that but I would check out the 'must see' threads for each series and start with TOS, then TNg mixing in DS9 after Wolf 359 but finishing TNG before Worf joins DS9, and Voyager could be shown during or after DS9 as long as it's final season starts after DS9 ends. The movies can be sprinkled throughout the series or after it raps up, then Enterprise followed by NuTrek.
bbjeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12 2013, 05:02 PM   #7
R. Star
Rear Admiral

I've won more people over to Trek by introducing them to DS9 first.
Old October 12 2013, 06:05 PM   #8
Bry_Sinclair
Commodore

Record yourself saying, "You want to watch Star Trek, Star Trek: The Next Generation, Star Trek: Deep Space 9, Star Trek: Voyager" over and over again, then when he goes to sleep start playing the recording, it'll worm its way into his subconscious. Then just leave a DVD laying around here and there, he'll soon be hooked

Seriously though, expose him to some of your favourite episodes from the various series', whether they are the emotive eps, the actiony eps, or the funny eps. Let him see what you love about Trek.

If both those fail, impose a roommate agreement, specifying that Monday is TOS Night, Tuesday is TNG Night, Wednesday is DS9 Night, and Thursday is VOY Night
Old October 12 2013, 07:13 PM   #9
Cinema Geekly
Lieutenant Commander

View Cinema Geekly's Twitter Profile

Like how TOS was ahead of its time in terms of the amount of touchy (at the time) subjects it tackled, DS9 was ahead of its time as a TV show as well.

If your friend liked BSG and digs a lot of what the current TV brands out there are giving us then DS9 all the way.

It truly is a show that could have existed in today's TV market with very little in the way of tweaking.
Cinema Geekly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12 2013, 08:01 PM   #10
T'Girl
Vice Admiral

Tie him to a straight back chair.
Duct tape his head facing forward.
Super glue his eyes open.

Start him out with The Children Shall Lead, then Fair Haven, then These Are The Voyagers, then Inner Light ...

During quiet times in various episodes, read from a selection of Harlan Ellison interviews where Ellison talks about his high opinion of himself.

T'Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12 2013, 08:01 PM   #11
Captain Kathryn
Commodore

Location: In Star Trek / Doctor Who fantasy land aka New Jersey
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Captain Kathryn

I pretty much love Star Trek. My roommate; however, is kinda scared to watch it.

He hasn't seen much science fiction before I moved into the apartment. However, when I got him to watch the new Battlestar Galatica, my roommate got hooked and loved it (except he hated the last episode)! Besides BSG, my roommate liked the new Avengers movie, loved how fun Pacific Rim was, but hated Elysium. He just saw Star Wars for the first time a few weeks ago too.

Hm...I would say DS9. It's the least...technobabbly? I guess?

The first Star Trek series I ever watched was VOY though and it was the one that got me totally hooked years later after watching it again. Before watching VOY, I did not really consider watching Star Trek (my then-boyfriend was really into it). Since then I've watched all of the series though and I love them all.

Anyway, I think all of the series are awesome. The movies, to me, are a little meh, but I love the Trek series. But the person should at least enjoy science fiction though or else they probably won't be able to get into Trek.
Old October 13 2013, 02:02 AM   #12
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

I converted my droog Alex DeLarge this way:

The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13 2013, 02:15 AM   #13
Pondwater
Fleet Captain

Geoff Peterson wrote: View Post
I converted my droog Alex DeLarge this way:

And then he became Dr. Soran.

As for the roomie, I'd go with DS9 too.
Old October 13 2013, 05:11 AM   #14
soapp
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Usually I try to find something the person might enjoy. For my wife it was sorta happened without trying. I told her I wanted to finish a TV series I never got to do, So I started DS9 at season 3 and she casually started watching with me, next thing you knew she couldn't wait to get home from work to watch the next episode.

Most people have stereotypical ideas about Trek, like Kirk Fighting the Gorn. Well I decided to show some friends a borg episode or two, they thought it was pretty cool. They where mostly mesmerized with Q.

So give something a try, just avoid Ferengi episodes. Id go for good 2 parters, or simply good episodes you really enjoy.
soapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13 2013, 01:32 PM   #15
The Old Mixer
Vice Admiral

There's a staggering amount of Trek out there, and emphasizing this as some suggest could be very offputting to the uninitiated. To borrow a metaphor from Elaine Benes, your roommate is a little squirrel and you're trying to lure him in...you don't want to make any BIG, SUDDEN MOVEMENTS! [Waving arms around for emphasis.]