Mystery Mini Vinyl Figure Display Box
By: T'Bonz on Sep 29

The Red Shirt Diaries Episode Five
By: T'Bonz on Sep 29

Shatner In Trek 3? Well Maybe
By: T'Bonz on Sep 28

Retro Review: Shadows and Symbols
By: Michelle on Sep 27

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old October 4 2013, 01:45 AM   #1
Flying Spaghetti Monster
Vice Admiral

First Trailer for "Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit" drops

see it here

It still feels a bit like Kirk rather than Ryan to me. With Pine being the best part of Star Trek Into Darkness, it's no surprise.
Old October 4 2013, 02:17 AM   #2
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

Re: First Trailer for "Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit" drops

I had been waiting on a trailer for this. I've liked the Ryan movies, even Affleck's, and wish Paramount had given Ford a third but I digress. This looks a bit more "action hero" out of the gate than the others but I like the character, Pine and it'll be hopefully a nice way to honor Clancy at the end of the year.
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4 2013, 02:42 AM   #3
Aragorn
Admiral

Captain Craig wrote: View Post
I had been waiting on a trailer for this. I've liked the Ryan movies, even Affleck's, and wish Paramount had given Ford a third but I digress. This looks a bit more "action hero" out of the gate than the others but I like the character, Pine and it'll be hopefully a nice way to honor Clancy at the end of the year.
One rumor behind The Sum of All Fears was that Ford didn't want the bomb to go off.

He was also alleged to have wanted Ryan to get promoted to a position that wouldn't call for field work, yet still have him running around. But I don't know what the big deal about that would've been.
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4 2013, 05:29 AM   #4
Evil Headhunter
Doctor of TARDIS

Send a message via ICQ to Evil Headhunter Send a message via AIM to Evil Headhunter Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Evil Headhunter Send a message via Yahoo to Evil Headhunter

Decent trailer. I wish they would just call it Shadow Recruit. The current title is bulky and unnecessary.

"I'm in Hell and it's full of Avons!" - Vila
Evil Headhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4 2013, 06:37 AM   #5
BoxWhatBox
Commander

Seriously?!? Seriously!!! This is not Jack Ryan! This isn't even John Clark. I wished they had made this a slow-burn geo-political thriller set in Reagan's America, not some Jason Bourne wanna-be. I'll still watch it, but this is not the reboot I wanted.
Old October 4 2013, 12:39 PM   #6
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

BoxWhatBox wrote: View Post
Seriously?!? Seriously!!! This is not Jack Ryan! This isn't even John Clark. I wished they had made this a slow-burn geo-political thriller set in Reagan's America, not some Jason Bourne wanna-be. I'll still watch it, but this is not the reboot I wanted.
QFT.

My hope is that, for the trailer, they pulled all of the action-esque scenes to make it look like a Bourne thriller and the real thing involves a lot of paper pushing and desk jockeying.

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4 2013, 02:33 PM   #7
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

Looks like a fairly generic, though possibly entertaining, espionage thriller with the Jack Ryan name added on (as well as the fact that he's a family man, unlike 007, Bourne etc) to distinguish it from the herd. Still, Pine is very watchable and I'm sure Costner and Branagh will lend able support (should Kevin direct the sequel?!).

Can't figure out if the timing of this and the first poster are very good or very bad, coming as they do on the week of Clancy's passing. The cynic in me says 'good', there being no such thing as bad publicity.
Old October 4 2013, 03:00 PM   #8
Romulan_spy
Commodore

Good trailer. It looks to be a good, exciting spy thriller. But it kinda feels like Jack Ryan was tacked on. You could easily have the exact same trailer with any young spy hero. It seems like the producers took the concept of "Jack Ryan" from the early Clancy novels, the desk analyst who is thrust into being a field agent a little against his will because he uncovers a threat to national security, and built an action movie around it. Not necessarily bad, just not sure yet if it will really do justice to the Tom Clancy character.
Romulan_spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4 2013, 03:04 PM   #9
Romulan_spy
Commodore

BoxWhatBox wrote: View Post
I kinda agree. If you want to do a true remake, it would be better to actually base the movie on an actual Clancy novel. You could reboot Hunt for Red October, although risky since the original was some awesome, or better, base the movie on Jack Ryan Jr to use a young actor and use Clancy's excellent thriller "Locked On". That novel has a threat to national security, lots of action and a young Jack Ryan. Perfect for a movie.
Old October 4 2013, 04:51 PM   #10
John Clark
Commodore

I'll probably see it, but from the trailer, it just isn't Jack Ryan to me.
Old October 4 2013, 04:55 PM   #11
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

This is... something. But it's nothing I'd ever associate with Tom Clancy or a Jack Ryan story.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4 2013, 06:04 PM   #12
Romulan_spy
Commodore

it is a big departure from the Tom Clancy character. Jack Ryan first appears in Hunt for Red October where he is far from a young action hero. He is a desk analyst who really is thrust into a field agent situation against his will because of his hunch and the fact that no one else wants to take the chance since they don't believe him. He really is a fish out of water (no pun intended). He is definitely not some young James Bond/Jason Bourne character running around shooting bad guys left and right.
Old October 4 2013, 07:48 PM   #13
Masquerade
Rear Admiral

I like Chris Pine, and I like Kenneth Branagh, and Kevin Costner is growing on me as he ages. This looks like it may be an entertaining movie, so the odds are that I'll see it.

I have no idea what this has to do with Jack Ryan or Tom Clancy, though.
Old October 4 2013, 07:53 PM   #14
Corran Horn
Vice Admiral

Aragorn wrote: View Post
Captain Craig wrote: View Post
One rumor behind The Sum of All Fears was that Ford didn't want the bomb to go off.

He was also alleged to have wanted Ryan to get promoted to a position that wouldn't call for field work, yet still have him running around. But I don't know what the big deal about that would've been.
That's basically what happened in the book. Ryan was DDCI.

As others have said, this doesn't seem like Jack Ryan at all. Sum of All Fears looks better by comparison. (though this is just a trailer)
Old October 4 2013, 09:53 PM   #15
Romulan_spy
Commodore

[QUOTE=Corran Horn;8728720]
Aragorn wrote: View Post
As others have said, this doesn't seem like Jack Ryan at all. Sum of All Fears looks better by comparison. (though this is just a trailer)
The novel of Sum of All Fears was awesome at building up the tension in a way that the movie never quite seem to pull off. I remember reading the novel and going "oh shit! The nuke really went off!" and then the aftermath with both the US and Russia raising their DEFCON levels, the novel really gave a sense like Armageddon was imminent.