Shatner In Haven
By: T'Bonz on Nov 24

Retro Review: Covenant
By: Michelle on Nov 22

Two Official Starships Collection Previews
By: T'Bonz on Nov 21

Saldana: Women Issues In Hollywood
By: T'Bonz on Nov 21

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old July 9 2014, 01:19 AM   #91
EnsignRedshirt
Lieutenant

Re: The scary/creepy moments of TNG

The scene in Identity Crisis when Geordi is in the holodeck and tracks down the source of the mysterious shadow....followed by his transformation into a lizard guy.

It's not too creepy for me now, but as a nine year old kid it gave me nightmares.
EnsignRedshirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16 2014, 08:17 PM   #92
phontondave
Cadet

View phontondave's Twitter Profile

I think pen pals was a creepy episode something about it gave me the chills
phontondave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17 2014, 08:12 PM   #93
J. Allen
[Snuggling Intensifies]

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen

I'm sure it has been said many times already, but the holodeck scene in "Schisms," where they're describing the examination table, was enough to give me the creeps for weeks.
J. Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17 2014, 08:19 PM   #94
PaleMoonlight
Lieutenant Junior Grade

J. Allen wrote: View Post
I'm sure it has been said many times already, but the holodeck scene in "Schisms," where they're describing the examination table, was enough to give me the creeps for weeks.
Its a great scene, minus the small question of how the holodeck knew exactly what the actual table looked like, but a very effective moment nontheless. Everytime I watch that episode I laugh at how bored Troi seems in this scene
Old July 18 2014, 12:19 AM   #95
2takesfrakes
Commodore

phontondave wrote: View Post
I can understand that. Seeing what looks to be a man in, or around, his mid-30's with albino make-up on spending a lot of time talking over the phone, in secret, with what seems like a 10 year old girl ... raises a lot of red flags. They even revisited this Data and the kids angle years later with INSURRECTION. "Data, do you remember anything before you were shot?" "I was following a group of children into some hills ..." and, of course, he decides he's going to play with one of them for a quarter of the movie. We're meant to understand that Data's an innocent machine, but that's not what we're looking at ... so it's disconcerting. I'm not trying to imply anything sinister on the TNG staff's part, but their ability to be objective about Data's perceived innocence - particularly when he's previously described himself as being programmed in multiple techniques of pleasuring - is debatable, at best.
Old July 18 2014, 05:29 AM   #96
Tosk
Rear Admiral

I think it says more about the viewer than the writers.
Tosk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18 2014, 11:46 AM   #97
Dennis
The Man

Indeed. That appears to be a uniquely creepy reading of the show.
Old July 18 2014, 12:03 PM   #98
2takesfrakes
Commodore

Says what, exactly, Tosk? Spell it out, sir.
Old July 18 2014, 01:21 PM   #99
Locutus of Bored
Full Metal Bat'leth

2takesfrakes wrote: View Post
Says what, exactly, Tosk? Spell it out, sir.
Pretty self-explanatory, really. It's weird to take a completely innocent series of scenes like the ones in Insurrection and make some bizarre child molestation insinuation about it that has zero authorial intent or evidence to back it up. When you have to stretch that far to imply that something sinister and creepy was going on, it says more about your own bizarre hangups and paranoia than it does anything about the writers, producers, or actors involved.

You seem to have a habit of over-sexualizing practically everything in often misogynistic ways, but taking it in the direction of Data potentially molesting children is certainly a new one. There was never ANY implication of that kind at all.
Locutus of Bored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18 2014, 02:30 PM   #100
2takesfrakes
Commodore

Why try to get personal? You don't like me. Yes, I "heard" you. I don't do that with anyone posting here. You're pretty fond of referring to me as "misogynistic," yet I certainly have never acted that way towards any self-identified women on these boards. Arguing on The Internet, now that's just crazy. And I defy you to find a woman on these boards who can honestly say that I "stalk" them, or try to make their "lives" miserable.

Occassionally, I have said something unpopular in the past, like uhm ... I referred to breasts as "Fun Bags" and the reaction to that went on for pages. But I never responded to it, never fanned those flames, I just let it die. I certanly have never participated in these Babe of the Week/Month whatevers. In fact, my "name" is noticeably absent from most drama on these boards. I do not go out of my way to draw that kind of attention to myself, though - rarely - it has happened. And for the most part, I consider myself well-behaved. Anyway, I thought we were talking about fictional characters, here? Like Data.

He was not realized on screen by a plastic puppet, obviously. He's portrayed by a Man wearing a lot of face paint. Is it that impossible to believe that someone watching this might find it somewhat disconcerting that a seemingly grown, adult "Man" would be phoning a kid, all the time and that a "friendship" was even possible? Talking about what? Cartoons? Homework? What do they have in common? ... A child and a STARFLEET officer? As I recall, none of the crew was that happy to find out about it. Not for reasons of "abuse," but because it was inappropriate. Picard, in fact, ordered it terminated.

And this theme of Data being associated with children runs throughout TNG, for instance that time some kid was obsessed with Data and decided he'd dress like him all the time. To what purpose does all of this serve? It's all made-up, none of these stories had to ever be written, but they were. Why? to underscore Data's supposed child-like innocence? I'm not accusing Data of being a child molestor, OK? Of course, he isn't. But, his (long) association with children could raise questions in the back of a viewer's mind.

Especially when said viewer is not particularly tuned-into, concerned with, or enchanted by his innocence. But saying something like that in STAR TREK LOVE CENTRAL, might not be viewed objectively, I suppose. As it's Friday, any expected response from me on this will have to wait until Saturday, or Sunday morning, perhaps.
Old July 18 2014, 03:01 PM   #101
Locutus of Bored
Full Metal Bat'leth

You're pretty fond of referring to me as "misogynistic," yet I certainly have never acted that way towards any self-identified women on these boards. And I defy you to find a woman on these boards who can honestly say that I "stalk" them, or try to make their "lives" miserable.
Is that what you think misogynistic means? I never accused you of stalking anyone or trying to make anyone's lives miserable, so I don't know where that's coming from. I just think you frequently express some rather anachronistic views about women.

He was not realized on screen by a plastic puppet, obviously. He's portrayed by a Man wearing a lot of face paint. Is it that impossible to believe that someone watching this might find it somewhat disconcerting that a seemingly grown, adult "Man" would be phoning a kid, all the time and that a "friendship" was even possible? Talking about what? Cartoons? Homework? What do they have in common? ... A child and a STARFLEET officer? As I recall, none of the crew was that happy to find out about it. Not for reasons of "abuse," but because it was inappropriate. Picard, in fact, ordered it terminated.
I don't remember the episode all that well, but wasn't the reason Picard ordered Data's conversations terminated because it was a potential Prime Directive violation since they were a pre-warp society? No mention of a Lolita situation between Data and the alien girl being on Picard's mind, that I recall.

Also, your description of Data fails to take into account that despite his outward appearance, age since activation, and great intellect, he is in many ways like a child himself. Inexperienced in social interaction, extremely curious, eager to learn new things. So he would actually have a great deal in common with a child, which is a point they made on multiple occasions on the show (and in Insurrection).

I find it comical that you seem to think an adult male and an unrelated child should never have any sort of interaction whatsoever, much less one via radio where there was no expectation of contact (at least not until the end, and not by choice). It's not like Data was luring her to a sexual encounter like something out of To Catch a Predator. It's the worst kind of child molestation paranoia that takes a legitimate concern but blows it completely out of proportion to the point where you can't even have fathers on a playground without them getting suspicious looks.

And this theme of Data being associated with children runs throughout TNG, for instance that time some kid was obsessed with Data and decided he'd dress like him all the time. To what purpose does all of this serve? It's all made-up, none of these stories had to ever be written, but they were. Why? to underscore Data's supposed child-like innocence? I'm not accusing Data of being a child molestor, OK? Of course, he isn't. But, his (long) association with children could raise questions in the back of a viewer's mind.
Data's Peter Pan essentially. If you want to see that as something sinister, again, that's on you. There was never any intent on the writer's part to suggest anything negative about it.
Locutus of Bored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19 2014, 09:04 AM   #102
J. Allen
[Snuggling Intensifies]

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen

PaleMoonlight wrote: View Post
J. Allen wrote: View Post
Its a great scene, minus the small question of how the holodeck knew exactly what the actual table looked like, but a very effective moment nontheless. Everytime I watch that episode I laugh at how bored Troi seems in this scene
I never saw that! I'll have to go back and watch that scene again.

phontondave wrote: View Post
I can understand that. Seeing what looks to be a man in, or around, his mid-30's with albino make-up on spending a lot of time talking over the phone, in secret, with what seems like a 10 year old girl ... raises a lot of red flags. They even revisited this Data and the kids angle years later with INSURRECTION. "Data, do you remember anything before you were shot?" "I was following a group of children into some hills ..." and, of course, he decides he's going to play with one of them for a quarter of the movie. We're meant to understand that Data's an innocent machine, but that's not what we're looking at ... so it's disconcerting. I'm not trying to imply anything sinister on the TNG staff's part, but their ability to be objective about Data's perceived innocence - particularly when he's previously described himself as being programmed in multiple techniques of pleasuring - is debatable, at best.
In the three dozen times I watched that episode, I have never had any inkling of any kind that would lead to see it as anything other than what it was: a being who wanted to protect the innocent and vulnerable. How do you read anything else into it? I mean, there is really nothing else there that would even remotely suggest anything at all on the level of which you're saying, and I mean nothing. Nothing, sir. Not one jot, nor one iota, not a gossamer of a wisp of a hope on a prayer dancing on the head of a pin. Nothing.
J. Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19 2014, 10:41 AM   #103
2takesfrakes
Commodore

Alright, well ... I have nothing else to add, so. Guess that's it.
Old July 19 2014, 10:19 PM   #104
Captrek
Rear Admiral

Locutus of Bored wrote: View Post
Also, your description of Data fails to take into account that despite his outward appearance, age since activation, and great intellect, he is in many ways like a child himself. Inexperienced in social interaction, extremely curious, eager to learn new things. So he would actually have a great deal in common with a child.
Sounds like Michael Jackson.
Captrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19 2014, 11:04 PM   #105
BeatleJWOL
Captain

Send a message via AIM to BeatleJWOL Send a message via Yahoo to BeatleJWOL

I told you before, I'm a lover, not a fighter.

(p.s. oh don't you start too!)
BeatleJWOL is offline   Reply With Quote