RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,694
Members: 24,208
Currently online: 764
Newest member: meshman63

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old October 8 2013, 09:50 PM   #31
Melakon
Rear Admiral

Re: The scary/creepy moments of TNG

^ If you're meaning VOY: Revulsion, he was sort of a holo-janitor/maintenance man.
Old October 9 2013, 03:55 AM   #32
Kooz
Lieutenant

View Kooz's Twitter Profile

From the title I was thinking "Frame of Mind"--glad to see a couple of people beat me to it. Easily the most unsettling moment in TNG for me.

I think the DS9 had several as well--involving that Cardassian who lived on the station (can't remember his name), but this is the wrong forum, I suppose.
Old October 9 2013, 05:04 AM   #33
Captrek
Rear Admiral

Kooz wrote: View Post
I think the DS9 had several as well--involving that Cardassian who lived on the station (can't remember his name)
Garak, played by Andrew J. Robinson, who is also famous for playing the Scorpio Killer in Dirty Harry and one of the creepiest actors ever to grace the screen.
Captrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9 2013, 05:12 AM   #34
LMFAOschwarz
Captain

Another kind of spooky scene was in The Mark of Gideon, with the heartbeats beating against the hull of the ship, or even the faces peering in the viewport!
LMFAOschwarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9 2013, 05:17 AM   #35
Melakon
Rear Admiral

Trek or Treat wrote: View Post
Kooz wrote: View Post
I think the DS9 had several as well--involving that Cardassian who lived on the station (can't remember his name)
Garak, played by Andrew J. Robinson, who is also famous for playing the Scorpio Killer in Dirty Harry and one of the creepiest actors ever to grace the screen.
Andy as Liberace: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NB1Pso6Ec1A
Old October 9 2013, 10:04 AM   #36
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.

All the creepy stuff that happened in the cavern in Times Arrow totally freaked me out.

I bet when I get around to rewatching it I'll be like.. wth was my problem?!

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9 2013, 12:50 PM   #37
Use of Time
Commodore

teacock wrote: View Post
All the creepy stuff that happened in the cavern in Times Arrow totally freaked me out.

There is just something unsettling about soul stealing aliens and the severed head of one of our beloved characters.
Old October 9 2013, 03:22 PM   #38
R. Star
Rear Admiral

I thought the caricature they made Clemens into was more disturbing.
Old October 9 2013, 04:34 PM   #39
Start Wreck
Fleet Captain

Use of Time wrote: View Post
There is just something unsettling about soul stealing aliens and the severed head of one of our beloved characters.
I think with that scene, it's that you don't see the aliens at first. You only hear Data talking about them. The imagination is far greater than any special effects department.

That's perhaps why a sci-fi TV show from the 80s/90s can often be scarier than a big-budget hollywood "horror" film. Limitations on what can actually be shown force the imagination to fill in the blanks.

Like the movie Cloverfield, which is far better when you don't see the creature in the first half.

As for TNG, my favourite 'freaky' moments are two that both relate to similar things, I think. Holodeck reconstructions.

1.) Identity Crisis. When Georgi is searching through the video footage and recreates it on the holodeck, he sees the shadow that he can't identify, eventually reconstructing the solid outline of what was casting it. This freaked me out I suppose because it suddenly says that there can be things around us that we cannot even see. People walking amongst us undetected. It's also scary because it's literally a blank outline, a person without a face, standing there in the shadows. It's just a really well-made scene, all of it. It's similar to many "investigitive" scenes in TV shows, I suppose ("can you enhance that image?") but it's more effective for being a physical reconstruction of events.

2). Schisms. The holodeck scene (again!). This gives me goosebumps every time. "We've all been here before". I suppose it's similar to the above, it's the implication of what it means. It's not a scary image in itself, it's the fact that this group of people have separately reconstructed an environment that they now suddenly realise they have been taken to, perhaps repeatedly. Combined with the whispers/clicks from the darkness, it's very effective at letting your imagination fill in the gaps. You're left thinking "what they hell happened to all of you?"

So, it's that realisation of sinister implications that work their spooky magic on me the best.

Frame of Mind, while I love that episode, doesn't have the same effect on me. It's totally weird and wonderful, but there was never a point where I genuinely believed Riker was imagining really being a Starfleet officer. Instead you're waiting for the veil to be pulled away / the character to wake up.
Start Wreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9 2013, 06:37 PM   #40
Melakon
Rear Admiral

GoRe Star wrote: View Post
I thought the caricature they made Clemens into was more disturbing.
It looked to me like Jerry Hardin was basing his interpretation on Hal Holbrook's "Mark Twain Tonight!"
Old October 9 2013, 07:50 PM   #41
PaleMoonlight
Lieutenant Junior Grade

The upright corpses in Night Terrors is a great moment, and definitely agree with Start Wreck on Identity Crisis!
PaleMoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9 2013, 09:56 PM   #42
teacake
Admiral

Any time Trek aliens take on qualities of the Greys it freaks me out, having once had a big alien phobia (Grey aliens, not Trek aliens). Like that scene in Caretaker where the crew is suspended unconscious and being experimented on.

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old October 9 2013, 10:08 PM   #43
Pondwater
Fleet Captain

Any time Trek aliens take on qualities of the Greys it freaks me out, having once had a big alien phobia (Grey aliens, not Trek aliens). Like that scene in Caretaker where the crew is suspended unconscious and being experimented on.
Yes to all of the above.
Pondwater is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 9 2013, 10:13 PM   #44
Melakon
Rear Admiral

ST was often pretty effective with the execution of spooky scenes (even Catspaw has its moments). It's not just the writing, staging, lighting and performances, but effective music could also strengthen a scene's impact. Though I'm usually not complimentary toward Rick Berman's taste in effective scene music.
Old October 10 2013, 11:28 AM   #45
teacake
Admiral

Catspaw did not have moments, it had strings

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne