Saldana In The Book of Life
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Cracked’s New Sci-Fi Satire
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16

Beltran Introduces Shakespeare To Theater Group

Burton To Be Honored at Facets Boo! Bash

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old October 9 2013, 09:03 AM   #46
Robert Comsol
Commodore

Re: STID Federation Seal Question...

M'Sharak wrote: View Post
Robert Comsol wrote: View Post
^^ Whether the cogwheel had been used by the Nazis or the Communists (symbolizing industrial production or the industrial proletariat) or others is not the point.
If it's not the point, then why bring up that particular example in the first place?
I merely stated what kind of impression that new UFP flag made on me when I first saw it.
Everyone else did not have that kind of allusion, so that was obviously not an issue worthy of further evaluation.

Next I wondered what the cogwheel and in a broader sense symbolized in national flags: industrial production or the industrial proletariat (e.g. national flag of China).

This inevitably brings up the question what the filmmakers tried to convey to the audience by changing the original flag.
  • in the future the workers rule and/or have equal rights? (conclusion: the workers ruled and/or did have equal rights in the old nations of Earth carrying the cogwheel in their flags)
  • China plays an important part in the UFP of the 22nd (foundation of UFP?) and/or 23rd Century? (odd we don't see that many Asian actors in this future)
I'd like to learn what had been the reason to add the cogwheel (as a mechanical component it had its practical use in the 20th Century and therefore relects as a symbol in flags originating from that era) in a 22nd or 23rd Century flag.

For a flag of the 23rd Century it looks weird, as a political symbol it's not without controversy. That's the essential question it comes down to.

Bob
Robert Comsol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9 2013, 02:10 PM   #47
Balrog
Commodore

In this timeline, John Gill designed the Federation's flag.
Old October 9 2013, 05:04 PM   #48
Crazy Eddie
Rear Admiral

I'd like to learn what had been the reason to add the cogwheel (as a mechanical component it had its practical use in the 20th Century and therefore relects as a symbol in flags originating from that era) in a 22nd or 23rd Century flag.
Mister Spacely is a lot more influential in the JJ verse than he was in the prime universe.
Old October 9 2013, 06:31 PM   #49
Franklin
Rear Admiral

Crazy Eddie wrote: View Post
Mister Spacely is a lot more influential in the JJ verse than he was in the prime universe.
I'm so old I got that!
Old October 9 2013, 06:32 PM   #50
Opus
Commodore

Me too.
Now that I've seen it, and have also had time to mellow, to really think about it, I now find it absolutely, unbearably repulsive in every way except for some of the acting. - about The Wrath of Khan. Interstat, Issue 62: 1982
Opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9 2013, 11:07 PM   #51
iguana_tonante
Admiral

Next I wondered what the cogwheel and in a broader sense symbolized in national flags: industrial production or the industrial proletariat (e.g. national flag of China).
As far as I know, there is not cogwheel in any Chinese flag.

This inevitably brings up the question what the filmmakers tried to convey to the audience by changing the original flag.[LIST][*]in the future the workers rule and/or have equal rights? (conclusion: the workers ruled and/or did have equal rights in the old nations of Earth carrying the cogwheel in their flags)
Uh... what?

[*]China plays an important part in the UFP of the 22nd (foundation of UFP?) and/or 23rd Century?
Given my first comment, this makes no sense.

For a flag of the 23rd Century it looks weird, as a political symbol it's not without controversy. That's the essential question it comes down to.
Actually, the cogwheel is not weirder than the olive branches.

Do the branches mean that the Federation supports Biblical literalism? (You know, the original olive branch story.) Does it support Athena as the main goddess of the Federation? (olive trees were sacred to her.) Does it mean the Federation is inspired by the peacenik generation ideals?

I don't think so. It's just a vague symbol of peace that would be understood by viewers, just as the cogwheel is a symbol of labour and cooperation. The only controversy is in your mind.
Old October 10 2013, 06:38 AM   #52
WinstonSmith
Lieutenant Commander

iguana_tonante wrote: View Post
The nazi used the eagle emblem too, and the ear of wheat. I guess those are ruined too?
Not necessarily, but a federation emblem featuring a stylised eagle, an ear of wheat and a cog would definitely have... allusions to various totalitarian regimes. Indeed, even as the current emblem is an allusion to the UN

As for the cog as a symbol, it definitely does have communist connotations, that was one of the first things I thought of when it was pointed out. However, having said that, I hadn't noticed it until then, and I'm perfectly willing to see it as simply someone in the art department going 'oh, that pattern looks cool' and nothing more

personally I think its a bit weird that the emblem of an interstellar government of hundreds of worlds is so similar to one of an intergovernmental agency of ancient Earth anyway, but hey, it fits with the 'human centric' star trek universe, and is more relatable to a contemporary audience, so I can at least understand it
WinstonSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10 2013, 10:36 AM   #53
Robert Comsol
Commodore

Correction: Not in the flag but pretty obvious in the national "emblem" of China.

While the olive branches may be equally weird (hence Franz Joseph suggested in his UFP proposal should reflect a male and female humanoid profile) they obviously have no ideological connotation which obviously is the reason why "we" do have the United Nations flag as it is (and without a cogwheel).

It's just a vague symbol of peace that would be understood by viewers, just as the cogwheel is a symbol of labour and cooperation. The only controversy is in your mind.
None of this provides a possible clue why the filmmakers changed the previous UFP flag by adding a cogwheel.

By your own reasoning this would have been a good opportunity from an "in-universe" point of view to get rid of the "earthbound" olive branches. Instead we got an archaic cogwheel added.

No problem with that assuming Vulcans and/or Tellarites and/or Andorians also used cogwheels in their original national flags. Looks like the best rationalization I can come up with.

Bob
Robert Comsol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10 2013, 10:17 PM   #54
iguana_tonante
Admiral

Correction: Not in the flag but pretty obvious in the national "emblem" of China.
I see. A small cogwheel buried in the lower part of the emblem. I doubt that it means "China plays an important part in the UFP". As I've shown, the Italian emblem has a much more prominent cogwheel. Does it mean that Italy plays an even bigger role in the UFP? I sure hope not, for the Federation's sake!

While the olive branches may be equally weird (hence Franz Joseph suggested in his UFP proposal should reflect a male and female humanoid profile) they obviously have no ideological connotation which obviously is the reason why "we" do have the United Nations flag as it is (and without a cogwheel).
Obviously, the reason is that the UN flag was designed by a western citizen. The olive branches symbol is just as ideological as the cogwheel, you just don't recognize it because it's your ideology.

No problem with that assuming Vulcans and/or Tellarites and/or Andorians also used cogwheels in their original national flags. Looks like the best rationalization I can come up with.
I just don't see the need for a rationalization. They tinkered a bit with the flag. Real countries do it all the time. So what?
Old October 11 2013, 05:39 PM   #55
Opus
Commodore

New seal then for the fans...

Now that I've seen it, and have also had time to mellow, to really think about it, I now find it absolutely, unbearably repulsive in every way except for some of the acting. - about The Wrath of Khan. Interstat, Issue 62: 1982
Old October 11 2013, 05:43 PM   #56
Crazy Eddie
Rear Admiral

Old October 11 2013, 06:10 PM   #57
SeerSGB
Admiral

View SeerSGB's Twitter Profile

It's worse than we thought...the UAW takes over the Federation in the future? Look, look, I tell you a cog emblem! No....no, the Machinist are in on it too! My god, how far does Abram's conspiracy to indoctrinate our youth go?!
SeerSGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11 2013, 06:13 PM   #58
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

I approve of this because it seems to fit current fandom to a tee.

Opus wrote: View Post
New seal then for the fans...

Old October 11 2013, 06:29 PM   #59
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.

Come on - mocking movies, plots, opinions or arguments is all kosher, but swipes at fans / fan groups is something I'd rather not have.
M'Sharak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11 2013, 11:25 PM   #60
Opus
Commodore

Sorry...

<looks at ground and kicks rock with shoe>