Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Rumor Mill: Saldana Gives Birth
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

New Line of Anovos Enterprise Uniforms
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Frakes: Sign Me Up!
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

View Poll Results: Grading
A+ 35 42.68%
A 28 34.15%
A- 10 12.20%
B+ 6 7.32%
B 2 2.44%
B- 0 0%
C+ 1 1.22%
C 0 0%
C- 0 0%
D 0 0%
F 0 0%
Voters: 82. You may not vote on this poll

Old March 1 2014, 02:44 PM   #151
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

Re: Gravity - Review and Discussion Thread

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
Watching the scene again where Clooney dies, I think I get what some astronauts/movie makers or whomever were getting at. The argument was that the ropes Bullock were tangled up in had some elasticity in them. So while her and Clooney seemed "stopped" they were still moving, straining against the elasticity in the ropes trying to pull them both back. It couldn't do this because apparently the mass coupled with the inertia of both Bullock and Clooney were too much. Letting go of Clooney reduced the mass-load on the elastic ropes allowing it to pull Bullock back.

I'm still nor sure how much weight this holds when it comes to mass, inertia and all of that in space but it sort of makes sense. One George Clooney plus a space-suit and the MMU would probably be a few hundred pounds. No weight in space, yes, but that's still a good bit of mass especially if its trying to move away from the station.

Pulling Clooney back may not have been capable for Bullock.

I *think* this makes sense but... I dunno. Still seems to me a simple tug would've pulled them both back to the ISS.
Clooney + suit + backpack has more mass than Bullock + suit. So she would have pulled herself towards him, not the other way round. And the ropes didn't hold her strong enough, that's what Clooney was seeing, and that's why he told her to let go.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1 2014, 09:23 PM   #152
Samurai8472
Vice Admiral

I was expecting more from this for the 22.99 TARGET is offering. I wish Clooney's character wasn't so know it all/

The Russian escape pod should have been more damaged too IMO when the next wave of debris flew around.
Samurai8472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2 2014, 12:52 PM   #153
Santa Claus
Believe

Send a message via ICQ to Santa Claus Send a message via AIM to Santa Claus Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Santa Claus Send a message via Yahoo to Santa Claus

I just watched it on my 19" TV (so I miss most of the sweeping visuals and 3D stuff), and I still loved it. I love hard science fiction, and this movie does a solid job of being both a nail biter, and a cornucopia of hard science moments. Sure, there are some liberties taken, but it is a movie, not a documentary, and I think they did a terrific job. I'm one of those who gave it a 9/10. It was well done, and is one of the more realistic science fiction films I've seen in decades. Here's hoping it grabs an Oscar or two.
❄ A Joyful Holiday Season to You All! ❄

Santa Claus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 3 2014, 10:17 AM   #154
firehawk12
Fleet Admiral

7 Oscars, including nearly all the technical awards. Well deserved!

"How do you trust a nation that's invented Karate? They're standing there in their pajamas... then they kick you in the balls!"
firehawk12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3 2014, 08:07 PM   #155
jadcox@mindspring.com
Commodore

View jadcox@mindspring.com's Twitter Profile

JarodRussell wrote: View Post
Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
Watching the scene again where Clooney dies, I think I get what some astronauts/movie makers or whomever were getting at. The argument was that the ropes Bullock were tangled up in had some elasticity in them. So while her and Clooney seemed "stopped" they were still moving, straining against the elasticity in the ropes trying to pull them both back. It couldn't do this because apparently the mass coupled with the inertia of both Bullock and Clooney were too much. Letting go of Clooney reduced the mass-load on the elastic ropes allowing it to pull Bullock back.

I'm still nor sure how much weight this holds when it comes to mass, inertia and all of that in space but it sort of makes sense. One George Clooney plus a space-suit and the MMU would probably be a few hundred pounds. No weight in space, yes, but that's still a good bit of mass especially if its trying to move away from the station.

Pulling Clooney back may not have been capable for Bullock.

I *think* this makes sense but... I dunno. Still seems to me a simple tug would've pulled them both back to the ISS.
Clooney + suit + backpack has more mass than Bullock + suit. So she would have pulled herself towards him, not the other way round. And the ropes didn't hold her strong enough, that's what Clooney was seeing, and that's why he told her to let go.
But wouldn't action of pulling have the equal and opposite effect of moving them both backwards (into the cable things)?
jadcox@mindspring.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4 2014, 12:58 AM   #156
Ugly Sweater
Trekker4747

I've watched through the special features on the BD. Pretty incredible what all they accomplished and did in this movie!

To answer the question above on the CGI "legs" on Sandra Bullock it seemed to come during the scene when she was in the ISS airlock. After getting the suit off she curls into a fetal position and floats there. The rig they had her in to film this scene included one of her legs in a harness. Obviously this leg had to be removed and replaced with CGI to hide the harness.

Also an interesting "easter-egg" in the movie. When Clooney is dicking around in the MMU and mentions one of the other astronauts "doing the "Macarena" he passes the camera and looks in its direction. In the CGI creation of his suit's face shield they added in a "reflection" of a camera crew, director, and others in space-gear.
Old March 9 2014, 05:36 AM   #157
Let the Good Times Roll!!

The wife and I just watched this for the first time.

That was pretty intense!

I can't imagine how difficult that was to film.

Very good film, IMHO. Stressful to watch.
“There is a cult of ignorance in the United States...The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge'.” - Isaac Asimov
1001001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9 2014, 10:18 AM   #158
Flying Spaghetti Monster
Vice Admiral

1001001 wrote: View Post

That was pretty intense!

It was a good film, but it really wasn't more difficult to film than say, Transformers, if you think about it.

Any scene where an actor is in a space suit, the only used footage of the actor's face, not the entire actor actor,. The face was lit from the glow of a nearby HDTV. The entire body was CGI. The entire background was CGI.

So, think about it: doing a CGI spacesuit and making it look real is pretty difficult, but is it any more difficult than animating and lighting the 10,000 parts of Optimus Prime in a computer?

And movies like the SW prequels and 300, etc, have extensive CGI backgrounds that are intricately detailed, as does this film.

The difference: in creating both the characters and the backgrounds they weren't using any fantasy-inspired imagery. But make no mistake, the only thing really "new" about the filming of Gravity was the planning of the sequences so the lighting on the actor's faces would be correct.
Old March 9 2014, 11:11 AM   #159
Ugly Sweater
Trekker4747

Killjoy:

I've watched the special features on the DVD and it's still pretty remarkable in how it was filmed and brought to life.
Old March 9 2014, 03:17 PM   #160
Flying Spaghetti Monster
Vice Admiral

True story: here's an amazing shot in Supergirl wherein Supergirl (Helen Slater) is descended from a height of many stories, very slowly and lands softly in the middle of a city street for a perfect soft landing at night, and then she begins to walk around. Pretty amazing how they brought that shot to life.
Old March 9 2014, 05:04 PM   #161

Flying Spaghetti Monster wrote: View Post
1001001 wrote: View Post

That was pretty intense!

It was a good film, but it really wasn't more difficult to film than say, Transformers, if you think about it.

Any scene where an actor is in a space suit, the only used footage of the actor's face, not the entire actor actor,. The face was lit from the glow of a nearby HDTV. The entire body was CGI. The entire background was CGI.

So, think about it: doing a CGI spacesuit and making it look real is pretty difficult, but is it any more difficult than animating and lighting the 10,000 parts of Optimus Prime in a computer?

And movies like the SW prequels and 300, etc, have extensive CGI backgrounds that are intricately detailed, as does this film.

The difference: in creating both the characters and the backgrounds they weren't using any fantasy-inspired imagery. But make no mistake, the only thing really "new" about the filming of Gravity was the planning of the sequences so the lighting on the actor's faces would be correct.
Okay then.

“There is a cult of ignorance in the United States...The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge'.” - Isaac Asimov
Old March 9 2014, 05:24 PM   #162
Cookies and Cake
Admiral

Here's an article on how physically demanding, i.e. difficult, it was for Sandra Bullock.

http://www.theguardian.com/film/2014...e-clooney-2014

Bullock's working day on the shoot sounds more like a complex medical procedure than an acting gig. She describes it as a "morose headspace". She was strung or strapped inside the lightbox for up to 10 hours a day.
And when she wasn't literally hanging around, Bullock had to manoeuvre through precisely choreographed moves, to synch with the virtual environment she would be inserted into. "That was the most frustrating part," she says. "You thought you'd executed it properly then you'd hear 'Sandy …' in the earpiece, and either Alfonso or Tim would say: 'At 16.5 seconds, your hand was three inches too far forward, it needs to come back. Literally, if you were one inch out of place you had to start over. If you were two seconds too long in the scene, you had to start over. It was so angering and nerve-racking, but you just kept doing it till you got it right."

With all the physical strain, Bullock required regular visits from a physiotherapist to "put me back together," she says. She twisted her pelvis and suffered multiple bruises and cuts, but she bore it better than her co-star. Having sustained a serious back injury in 2005 (while making Syriana), Clooney found the harness contraptions agonising.
Old March 9 2014, 06:07 PM   #163

^ That's more what I was referring to.
Old March 9 2014, 06:51 PM   #164
Flying Spaghetti Monster
Vice Admiral

Wonder just how frigging difficult for Helen Slater, a petite young woman who was all of 19 at the time of filming Supergirl, must have found it to be lowered with wires in scene after scene. The points you are making (alone) does not a good movie make.
Old March 9 2014, 07:02 PM   #165
Cookies and Cake
Admiral

Flying Spaghetti Monster wrote: View Post
The points you are making (alone) does not a good movie make.
Who said they did?