TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Voyager

Voyager There's coffee in this forum!

Old November 17 2013, 07:30 PM   #616
Bad Thoughts
Fleet Captain

Re: The Continuity and Serialization of Voyager

Anyway, let's move on from this line of discussion.
I don't really want this thread to turn into an argument over what Voyager "should've been" so once I get an answer to my query about what Bad Thoughts considers DS9's basic premise to be, I'm respectfully asking that the subject of 'premise' be dropped.
Dude! The structure, presentation, characters, concepts, and indeed, the premise, are all aspects that determine how much actual serialization and continuity actually took place (as well as how much was appropriate). Dismissing those concerns oversimplifies the question, if not attempts to stifle some criticism.
Bad Thoughts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17 2013, 07:34 PM   #617
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

This thread is not living up to it's premise?

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17 2013, 07:39 PM   #618
DigificWriter
Rear Admiral

Bad Thoughts wrote: View Post
Anyway, let's move on from this line of discussion.
I don't really want this thread to turn into an argument over what Voyager "should've been" so once I get an answer to my query about what Bad Thoughts considers DS9's basic premise to be, I'm respectfully asking that the subject of 'premise' be dropped.
Dude! The structure, presentation, characters, concepts, and indeed, the premise, are all aspects that determine how much actual serialization and continuity actually took place (as well as how much was appropriate). Dismissing those concerns oversimplifies the question, if not attempts to stifle some criticism.
Not really.

At any rate, it's my thread, and I'm asking that we move on from arguing about 'premise' because it's turning into a "what this show should've been" thread rather than a thread about what the show was and the level of continuity and serialization that it had for being what it was.

I'm still waiting for an answer from you re: DS9's basic premise, BTW.
Old November 17 2013, 07:52 PM   #619
Bad Thoughts
Fleet Captain

^You set the terms. Why are you surprised that you aren't getting an answer?
Bad Thoughts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17 2013, 07:59 PM   #620
DigificWriter
Rear Admiral

^ If you don't want to answer the question, fine. We're still moving on, or I'm going to contact a Mod and ask them to lock the thread because I'd prefer that things not degenerate into pointless bickering over a topic that isn't really relevant to the subject of this thread or the spirit of why I created it.
Old November 17 2013, 08:02 PM   #621
MacLeod
Admiral

The premise does play a part in the determination of the show. For some it lived up to its premise for others it didn't.

So was the premise flawed?
Did they misrepresent the premise in the episodes?
Did they choose to disregard the premise?
Did they not do a good enough job of propery explaining the premise?

If they state in the show that they'll have limited resources, yet appear not to without it being explained why, then it is not wrong for the audiance to call them on it.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17 2013, 08:08 PM   #622
DigificWriter
Rear Admiral

MacLeod wrote: View Post
The premise does play a part in the determination of the show. For some it lived up to its premise for others it didn't.

So was the premise flawed?
Did they misrepresent the premise in the episodes?
Did they choose to disregard the premise?
Did they not do a good enough job of propery explaining the premise?

If they state in the show that they'll have limited resources, yet appear not to without it being explained why, then it is not wrong for the audiance to call them on it.
That's not what this thread was meant to be for. I created this thread to talk about the level of continuity and serialization that is present in Voyager as it was. It wasn't intended to be a thread about whether or not the show lived up to its premise or whether or not it should've been something other than what it was. I've not objected too strongly towards those kinds of conversations being brought up because they weren't derailing the thread, but now they've started to.
Old November 17 2013, 08:21 PM   #623
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Not only do I think Archie and Edith never did it, but Gloria must have been adopted.

Old November 17 2013, 08:27 PM   #624
Ho Ho Homeier
Vice Admiral

DigificWriter wrote: View Post
That's not what this thread was meant to be for. I created this thread to talk about the level of continuity and serialization that is present in Voyager as it was.
Threads on the board often veer from their intended direction, usually getting back on course after about two pages.

It might be helpful at this point, for you to do a recap of the conclusions arrived at so far related to your intended theme for the thread, and get it back on track that way. Threatening to close the thread is like saying you're going to take your ball and go home.
Old November 17 2013, 08:48 PM   #625
DigificWriter
Rear Admiral

^ Good suggestion. I got a little bit grumpy, and apologize.

To summarize my conclusions/observations so far:

Even though it wasn't perfect, Voyager did have a significant level of continuity and serialization to it, and, although it's not a crime show, very much fits into the 'Serialized Procedural' genre, with ongoing/recurrent storylines and character arcs that build and progress with the passage of time.
Old November 17 2013, 08:54 PM   #626
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Nope. You're still wrong. Voyager had piss all continuity.

The recap is that we are in a disagreement about if Voyager had enough continuity to justify the word serialized, and that we are also in a disagreement about if the word procedural carries over into a space opera.

It's page 42.

If everyone agreed with you, the thread would have died on page 3.

Old November 17 2013, 08:59 PM   #627
MacLeod
Admiral

Procedurals like Law & Order had a level of continuity and serialisation. Is VOY closer in terms of serialisation and continuity to that than say the likes of B5 and DSN?
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17 2013, 09:02 PM   #628
DigificWriter
Rear Admiral

I recapped my conclusions/observations. I didn't say everyone had to agree with them.

Having now finished YoH P2, the only significant details about the events of the YoH as seen in Before and After that the 2-part YoH episode didn't 'reprise' were B'Elanna's death and the Doctor's program going offline, which is just one of many examples of the way in which Voyager handled and incorporated serialized storytelling and continuity.
Old November 17 2013, 09:08 PM   #629
DigificWriter
Rear Admiral

MacLeod wrote: View Post
Procedurals like Law & Order had a level of continuity and serialisation. Is VOY closer in terms of serialisation and continuity to that than say the likes of B5 and DSN?
I'd disagree that the L&O series had enough serialization and continuity to put them in the same category as the likes of Bones and other 'Serialized Procedural' shows, but I would argue that Voyager's level of serialization and continuity is certainly on par with those types of shows (Bones, Fringe, etc.).
Old November 17 2013, 09:21 PM   #630
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Every episode of Voyager begins with an exterior shot of the ship in space, then the camera zooms in towards a crewman, or the Captain (is the Captain technically a crewman? She is part of her own crew, surely?) who seems well rested and unencumbered by anything that has ever happened in the universe before this moment in time.

This means that either they're all assholes or there are sometimes months between episodes.

Does that mean that there is an extreme amount of continuity because it's incredibly realistic for there not to be obvious signs of last weeks episode if it happened 3 months ago from their perspective?