RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 141,585
Posts: 5,515,282
Members: 25,156
Currently online: 497
Newest member: jerrlaro

TrekToday headlines

Two New Starships Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Dec 26

Captain Kirk’s Boldest Missions
By: T'Bonz on Dec 25

Trek Paper Clips
By: T'Bonz on Dec 24

Sargent Passes
By: T'Bonz on Dec 23

QMx Trek Insignia Badges
By: T'Bonz on Dec 23

And The New Director Of Star Trek 3 Is…
By: T'Bonz on Dec 23

TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Voyager

Voyager There's coffee in this forum!

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old November 17 2013, 02:34 AM   #556
Anwar
Vice Admiral
 
Anwar's Avatar
 
Location: Regina, SK, Canada
Re: The Continuity and Serialization of Voyager

The Five Year Mission is, in the title sequence, said to be about them "seeking out new life and new civilizations" and going where "where no has gone before".

Going where no man has gone before, means going away from charted space and not going back into charted space. It's about going deeper and deeper into uncharted space and not leaving until the 5 years are up.

Going to colony worlds, starbases, etc, is them going where other men had gone before, and thus violates the title's premise.
Anwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17 2013, 02:57 AM   #557
DigificWriter
Rear Admiral
 
Location: West Haven, UT, USA
Re: The Continuity and Serialization of Voyager

Anwar does have a point. If TOS were to have been completely true to its stated premise, we wouldn't have seen the ship visiting colony worlds, starbases, etc., and yet nobody seems to be complaining about that 'violation of premise' the way they do about Voyager's supposed 'violation of premise' (I say 'supposed' because I've come to the realization and conclusion that, although it might not have played out exactly as originally envisioned, the show did ultimately live up to its premise and fulfill it).

Anyway, let's move on from this line of discussion.

I'm only about halfway through Part 1 of the Year of Hell 2-parter, but, so far, the episode has been the perfect example of the things I've been saying re: Voyager's continuity and serialization. Thus far, we've seen every single specific detail that we learned about the YoH from Before and After (the loss of Sickbay, the Mess Hall becoming a triage center, the chronoton torpedo lodged in the Jeffries Tube on Deck 11, the nature of B'Elanna's injuries) realized in some fashion, even if things play out differently than they did in that earlier episode; if the show didn't have continuity or serialization, this kind of symmetry wouldn't be present to the degree that it is.
__________________
Starbuck: We're all friendlies. So, let's just... be friendly.
"There is no 'supposed to be.' It's an adaptation, a word that literally means change. Why bother making a new version if it doesn't offer a fresh approach?" - Christopher L. Bennett
DigificWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17 2013, 03:12 AM   #558
Bad Thoughts
Fleet Captain
 
Location: Containment Area for Relocated Yankees
Re: The Continuity and Serialization of Voyager

I guess if the Enterprise were attacked by Romulans, they would not be able to fire back because, one, it would be an encounter with known life, two, it wouldn't be part of the specific mission, and three, it would violate the premise of the show.

Myopic literalism should be required of no one, real or fictional.
Bad Thoughts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17 2013, 03:31 AM   #559
Anwar
Vice Admiral
 
Anwar's Avatar
 
Location: Regina, SK, Canada
Re: The Continuity and Serialization of Voyager

Then VOY shouldn't be getting it so bad because it didn't do the same and be myopic with its premise either.
Anwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17 2013, 03:36 AM   #560
Bad Thoughts
Fleet Captain
 
Location: Containment Area for Relocated Yankees
Re: The Continuity and Serialization of Voyager

It's premise wasn't that it had an objective, but that it was in a situation that limited its action.
Bad Thoughts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17 2013, 03:37 AM   #561
Ho Ho Homeier
Vice Admiral
 
Ho Ho Homeier's Avatar
 
Location: Melakon's place
Re: The Continuity and Serialization of Voyager

The opening narration is not dialogue within the episodes. But nowhere in that narration does it suggest no contact with existing starbases or crew transfers. I know this same sort of discussion regarding these same points occurred elsewhere on the board in the past week, but don't recall where.
__________________
Curly: Oh, you hit Santa Claus. Just for that, no toys! --Wee Wee Monsieur (1938)
Ho Ho Homeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17 2013, 03:45 AM   #562
Anwar
Vice Admiral
 
Anwar's Avatar
 
Location: Regina, SK, Canada
Re: The Continuity and Serialization of Voyager

Bad Thoughts wrote: View Post
It's premise wasn't that it had an objective, but that it was in a situation that limited its action.
VOY's premise needed work, IMO. They limited themselves too much with the "Always moving" thing, and the whole "Get back to Earth" thing undercut too much potential for what the Delta Quadrant offered.
Anwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17 2013, 03:48 AM   #563
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral
 
Guy Gardener's Avatar
 
Location: In the lap of squalor I assure you.
Re: The Continuity and Serialization of Voyager

Kirk just said it was a 5 year mission in the credits to escape a pregnancy scare.
__________________
"Glitter is the herpes of arts and craft."

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17 2013, 03:52 AM   #564
DigificWriter
Rear Admiral
 
Location: West Haven, UT, USA
Re: The Continuity and Serialization of Voyager

Bad Thoughts wrote: View Post
It's premise wasn't that it had an objective, but that it was in a situation that limited its action.
Technically, TOS' premise likewise limited its action.... or should have.
__________________
Starbuck: We're all friendlies. So, let's just... be friendly.
"There is no 'supposed to be.' It's an adaptation, a word that literally means change. Why bother making a new version if it doesn't offer a fresh approach?" - Christopher L. Bennett
DigificWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17 2013, 03:53 AM   #565
Bad Thoughts
Fleet Captain
 
Location: Containment Area for Relocated Yankees
Re: The Continuity and Serialization of Voyager

Guy Gardener wrote: View Post
Kirk just said it was a 5 year mission in the credits to escape a pregnancy scare.
To boldly flee from where only Kirk has gone before.
Bad Thoughts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17 2013, 04:25 AM   #566
Ho Ho Homeier
Vice Admiral
 
Ho Ho Homeier's Avatar
 
Location: Melakon's place
Re: The Continuity and Serialization of Voyager

DigificWriter wrote: View Post
I'm only about halfway through Part 1 of the Year of Hell 2-parter, but, so far, the episode has been the perfect example of the things I've been saying re: Voyager's continuity and serialization. Thus far, we've seen every single specific detail that we learned about the YoH from Before and After (the loss of Sickbay, the Mess Hall becoming a triage center, the chronoton torpedo lodged in the Jeffries Tube on Deck 11, the nature of B'Elanna's injuries) realized in some fashion, even if things play out differently than they did in that earlier episode; if the show didn't have continuity or serialization, this kind of symmetry wouldn't be present to the degree that it is.
I think "Year of Hell" was originally planned as the 3rd season cliffhanger, and the foreshadowing would have been even more noticeable had Kes stayed. It works well as a "What If?" story all the same.
__________________
Curly: Oh, you hit Santa Claus. Just for that, no toys! --Wee Wee Monsieur (1938)
Ho Ho Homeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17 2013, 04:50 AM   #567
R. Star
Rear Admiral
 
R. Star's Avatar
 
Location: Shangri-La
Re: The Continuity and Serialization of Voyager

Melakon wrote: View Post
DigificWriter wrote: View Post
I'm only about halfway through Part 1 of the Year of Hell 2-parter, but, so far, the episode has been the perfect example of the things I've been saying re: Voyager's continuity and serialization. Thus far, we've seen every single specific detail that we learned about the YoH from Before and After (the loss of Sickbay, the Mess Hall becoming a triage center, the chronoton torpedo lodged in the Jeffries Tube on Deck 11, the nature of B'Elanna's injuries) realized in some fashion, even if things play out differently than they did in that earlier episode; if the show didn't have continuity or serialization, this kind of symmetry wouldn't be present to the degree that it is.
I think "Year of Hell" was originally planned as the 3rd season cliffhanger, and the foreshadowing would have been even more noticeable had Kes stayed. It works well as a "What If?" story all the same.
Actually I recall reading it was supposed to be a whole season story arc originally but they toned it down for some reason. That would've actually been cool instead of the reset button hit we got.
__________________
"I was never a Star Trek fan." J.J. Abrams
R. Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17 2013, 05:01 AM   #568
DigificWriter
Rear Admiral
 
Location: West Haven, UT, USA
Re: The Continuity and Serialization of Voyager

As far as I know, any chatter about the YoH storyline lasting an entire season was nothing more than writer/producer 'hindsight commentary'.

The only things I've ever heard/seen confirmed about the Yoh story are that Part 1 was originally going to be the Season 3 cliffhanger and that, at one point, the story itself was planned to be a 4-parter.
__________________
Starbuck: We're all friendlies. So, let's just... be friendly.
"There is no 'supposed to be.' It's an adaptation, a word that literally means change. Why bother making a new version if it doesn't offer a fresh approach?" - Christopher L. Bennett
DigificWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17 2013, 05:05 AM   #569
R. Star
Rear Admiral
 
R. Star's Avatar
 
Location: Shangri-La
Re: The Continuity and Serialization of Voyager

Probably right... that would've required Voyager taking a chance and venturing far away from the safety of the reset button. Too bad too, that would've been something that could've really been the highlight of the series when it reached it's full potential.
__________________
"I was never a Star Trek fan." J.J. Abrams
R. Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17 2013, 05:15 AM   #570
teacake
Fleet Admiral
 
teacake's Avatar
 
Location: Google's ass cave full of the lush, lush asses they have stolen.
Re: The Continuity and Serialization of Voyager

But imagine if the reset button had happened after the entire season..!
__________________

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 09:59 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.