Trek 3 Shooting Next Spring?
By: T'Bonz on Sep 16

Star Trek: Alien Domain Game Announced
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Voyager

Voyager There's coffee in this forum!

Old November 16 2013, 02:17 AM   #526
DigificWriter
Rear Admiral

Re: The Continuity and Serialization of Voyager

Being able to watch a
shows like Bones, Voyager, Homicide: Life on the Street, etc. in any order doesn't mean they lack continuity and serialization, though.

In most cases, Serialized Procedural shows have recurrent storylines and character-based stories that span multiple episodes and seasons, but still allow a viewer to jump straight into them at any point without being lost. If a viewer goes back and watches one of these kinds of shows in their entirety from the beginning, though, they'll more fully understand the context of the recurrent storylines and character arcs that are present in them.

That's what I meant when I said that a show like Bones or Voyager CAN be watched in any order, but SHOULDN'T be. It's not really a matter of personal preference so much as it is a matter of the PTBs of these types of shows designing their shows so that they offer the 'best of both worlds' in terms of the episodic and the serialized.

"Ze director's cut is ze film you saw in ze theater."
DigificWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16 2013, 02:18 AM   #527
DigificWriter
Rear Admiral

Being able to watch a
shows like Bones, Voyager, Homicide: Life on the Street, etc. in any order doesn't mean they lack continuity and serialization, though.

In most cases, Serialized Procedural shows have recurrent storylines and character-based stories that span multiple episodes and seasons, but still allow a viewer to jump straight into them at any point without being lost. If a viewer goes back and watches one of these kinds of shows in their entirety from the beginning, though, they'll more fully understand the context of the recurrent storylines and character arcs that are present in them.

That's what I meant when I said that a show like Bones or Voyager CAN be watched in any order, but SHOULDN'T be. It's not really a matter of personal preference so much as it is a matter of the PTBs of these types of shows designing their shows so that they offer the 'best of both worlds' in terms of the episodic and the serialized.

Old November 16 2013, 02:50 AM   #528
Melakon
Vice Admiral

I still don't understand the constant use of the term procedural when describing Voyager. A procedural has normally been used for over 50 years when referring to police dramas or courtroom shows, but never science fiction. Voyager is not a crime show.
Old November 16 2013, 03:15 AM   #529
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

It's a procedural space woogie show.

They go through a process each week almost identically to save the space woogie or destroy the space woogie.

The space woogie shows up in the credits.

the space woogie pwns the crew.

All seems lost.

They turn the tables at the last moment.

Victory!

Tell a stupid joke.

It's the word serialized I have trouble with.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16 2013, 03:20 AM   #530
DigificWriter
Rear Admiral

Melakon wrote: View Post
I still don't understand the constant use of the term procedural when describing Voyager. A procedural has normally been used for over 50 years when referring to police dramas or courtroom shows, but never science fiction. Voyager is not a crime show.
The X-Files and Fringe are Sci-Fi Serialized Procedurals.

Old November 16 2013, 03:22 AM   #531
Melakon
Vice Admiral

And nearly every script's crisis resolution is two pages of doubletalk in pseudo-technical terms that makes no sense at all. "We had to reverse the polarity of the neutron flow going to the antimatter injector relays, and then everything worked again."

Edited to add:

DigificWriter wrote:
The X-Files and Fringe are Sci-Fi Serialized Procedurals.
All right, so maybe it has been applied to them, I rarely watched X-Files and have never seen Fringe. But X-Files was a synthesis of the crime drama and science fiction. The term procedural originated as a reference to crime dramas. Voyager is not a crime show.

Wikipedia explains the term in the first sentence of the Procedural Drama article:

A procedural drama is a genre of television programming which focuses on how crimes are solved or some other aspect of a law enforcement agency, legislative body, or court of law.
Old November 16 2013, 03:54 AM   #532
Bad Thoughts
Fleet Captain

And nearly every script's crisis resolution is two pages of doubletalk in pseudo-technical terms that makes no sense at all. "We had to reverse the polarity of the neutron flow going to the antimatter injector relays, and then everything worked again."
Meh. The Professor did the same thing with coconuts.
Bad Thoughts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 16 2013, 04:33 AM   #533
Melakon
Vice Admiral

Bad Thoughts wrote: View Post
Meh. The Professor did the same thing with coconuts.
Yeah, but he was stuck on deserted island with two hot babes, and he was the local stud.
Old November 16 2013, 04:56 AM   #534
Anwar
Vice Admiral

And nearly every script's crisis resolution is two pages of doubletalk in pseudo-technical terms that makes no sense at all.
[/QUOTE]

No one complains about Doctor Who doing that for decades, or how his Sonic Screwdriver can do nearly anything.

Or how in TOS the Enterprise is basically a magic ship that can go at any needed speed, its weapons can do anything the plot needs done, and how they ALWAYS had the equipment on hand whenever they needed it.

Or how in DS9, despite there being a major war going on, none of the main cast died in said war except one who had a dispute with the Producers (Dax) and the Station never suffered resource shortages despite war usually causing that.
Anwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16 2013, 04:59 AM   #535
R. Star
Rear Admiral

Anwar wrote: View Post
No one complains about.... (proceeds to complain)
Apparently so... but as I've said to you before... the "well they did it too!" defense isn't exactly valid.
Old November 16 2013, 05:05 AM   #536
Anwar
Vice Admiral

It is when no one ever considers critiquing those other shows, yet continuously does nothing but rip other shows apart. That kind of venom is too specific to go unnoticed.
Old November 16 2013, 05:06 AM   #537
R. Star
Rear Admiral

It is when no one ever considers critiquing those other shows, yet continuously does nothing but rip other shows apart. That kind of venom is too specific to go unnoticed.
I love how casually you use "everyone" and "no one" when describing people with an opposing viewpoint.... you're spreading more than your share of the... venom, sir.
Old November 16 2013, 05:20 AM   #538
Melakon
Vice Admiral

Since you started this exchange by criticizing one of my posts as complaining, the quote above apparently is referring to me as well. You seem to have trouble distinguishing venom from fond affection due to familiarity. The overuse of technobabble is a feature of all the shows during the Berman era. Roddenberry's Star Trek did it too, though in less technically sounding terms. Any science fiction show does it, simply by nature of the beast.

No discussion of any television show, regardless of genre, is going to be full of only praise and exhaltations. Pointing out flaws in a television show doesn't mean a person hates it.
Old November 16 2013, 05:37 AM   #539
Anwar
Vice Admiral

No discussion of any television show, regardless of genre, is going to be full of only praise and exhaltations.
Tell that to TOS fans, DS9 fans and NuBSG fans.

I love how casually you use "everyone" and "no one" when describing people with an opposing viewpoint.... you're spreading more than your share of the... venom, sir.
Gimme some slack, I've been dealing with some truly vitriolic haters (an entire Hatedom, to be frank) for about 18 years now. I'm more entitled than most when it comes to the defensive.
Old November 16 2013, 05:50 AM   #540
Melakon
Vice Admiral

No discussion of any television show, regardless of genre, is going to be full of only praise and exhaltations.
Tell that to TOS fans, DS9 fans and NuBSG fans.
I am a TOS and DS9 fan, starting as early as 1966. I was even a fan of utter trash like My Mother the Car and Camp Runamuck. I've not seen NuBSG, so you can tell them yourself.