RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,674
Members: 24,823
Currently online: 555
Newest member: voyagerman49

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old October 11 2013, 10:55 PM   #76
trevanian
Rear Admiral

Re: JJ Abrams apologizes for lens flare

BillJ wrote: View Post
Jeyl wrote: View Post
M'Sharak wrote: View Post
One might be moved to wonder what you called him first in order to prompt such a response,
Since you make a good point, I'll elaborate a bit more for the sake of making sure no one has to wonder. It's kind of funny because I wasn't even responding to a post he had made, let alone call him anything to provoke such a response. On Trekmovie's Post-release Into Darkness odds & ends and General Discussion comment section, Other Guy (post #231) made a comment about how Marcus wanting a war with the Klingons was akin to the US attacking Iraq even though Iraq had nothing to do with 9/11 or the accusations we used to go to war in the first place. I made a post (#257) saying how even though that is true, we still attacked Afghanistan first since that was a country that was harboring those terrorists. Not only does Marcus not have any beef with the Romulans, the Romulans aren't even mentioned at all in the movie. Despite saying only that, boborci responded (#291) by simply saying "enough crack smoking. Say no."

And that is it.
No one cares. Really.
Wrong. Really. Really wrong.
trevanian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11 2013, 11:13 PM   #77
MakeshiftPython
Captain

MakeshiftPython wrote: View Post
Lens flares as seen in the Abrams films are annoying, but nothing as bad as the scripts. Once Orci, Kurtzman and Lindelof apologize for their scripts (both Trek and Beyond) then that will be something.
I wouldn't hold my breath on them apologizing for making Star Trek fun and watchable again.
If only they were fun and watchable. If only.
MakeshiftPython is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11 2013, 11:21 PM   #78
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

If only they were fun and watchable. If only.
They are. I've seen Star Trek 2009 easily a dozen times and Into Darkness seven.

Thinking about doing a double-header this weekend.
Old October 11 2013, 11:27 PM   #79
MakeshiftPython
Captain

Your opinion, pal. I don't find much fun in watching them, especially the 2009 film. STID has the opening sequence going for it, but it just goes downhill after that for me.
Old October 11 2013, 11:31 PM   #80
BillJ
Admiral

Your opinion, pal. I don't find much fun in watching them, especially the 2009 film. STID has the opening sequence going for it, but it just goes downhill after that for me.
Not every Trek works for every person. While I don't hate them, if I never saw Deep Space Nine, Voyager or Enterprise again, I'm not sure I'd even notice.
Old October 11 2013, 11:42 PM   #81
MakeshiftPython
Captain

That's too bad, DS9 has some of the best writing along with TOS and TNG.
Old October 11 2013, 11:48 PM   #82
BillJ
Admiral

I think that DS9 was overly melodramatic and made me laugh more than any drama series should and that the Abrams films have some of the best writing and characterization of any of the Star Trek movies.

Different strokes.
Old October 11 2013, 11:56 PM   #83
MakeshiftPython
Captain

I think that DS9 was overly melodramatic and made me laugh more than any drama series should and that the Abrams films have some of the best writing and characterization of any of the Star Trek movies.

Different strokes.
Old October 12 2013, 01:17 AM   #84
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.

trevanian wrote: View Post
Jeyl wrote: View Post
No one cares. Really.
Wrong. Really. Really wrong.
Jeyl's gripe with Orci is over something which happened at another site, and he was asked not to drag it over here. When he did so anyway, BillJ ought properly to have demonstrated his lack of care by posting no response, and your demonstration of care would be more appropriately brought to the attention of either TrekMovie or Paramount. There's nothing which can be done here about the matter, and it's got zip to do with lens-flare apologies, anyway.

Back to topic, please.
"Recently my 8 year-old cousin asked me, with a wicked twinkle in his eye, if I'd ever microwaved a banana. I'm terrified to try, but I'm sure whatever happens—splattering, abrupt, radioactive—sounds exactly like an Annie Clark guitar solo."
M'Sharak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12 2013, 07:50 PM   #85
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

Would it make a difference if it didn't happen online but in real life? Like having a discussion with Orci on the street and then talking about it here?
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12 2013, 08:30 PM   #86
BillJ
Admiral

JarodRussell wrote: View Post
Would it make a difference if it didn't happen online but in real life? Like having a discussion with Orci on the street and then talking about it here?
Sure it would.

Because you could much more easily gauge intent. Is the person saying what their saying to be an asshole? Are they being defensive? Sarcastic?

So many people are quick to decry an internet comment without really knowing the emotion or intent behind it.
Old October 12 2013, 09:51 PM   #87
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.

That's not the topic. "Abrams apologizing for lens-flare" is the topic.

BillJ: same message.
"Recently my 8 year-old cousin asked me, with a wicked twinkle in his eye, if I'd ever microwaved a banana. I'm terrified to try, but I'm sure whatever happens—splattering, abrupt, radioactive—sounds exactly like an Annie Clark guitar solo."
M'Sharak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13 2013, 04:05 AM   #88
scotpens
Vice Admiral

I think the current shaky cam trend started with Saving Private Ryan. The excessive use of lens flares, I'm not sure.
Traditionally, lens flare was considered an error and was scrupulously avoided by Hollywood cinematographers. Lens flare became, for lack of a better term, "hip" in the 1960s. Ironically, it was thought to enhance verisimilitude, to create a documentary-like realism -- although, of course, it's a technical artifact created by reflections between multiple elements of the camera lens.

Compounding the irony is that, with today's digital photography, lens flare is often a CG effect added in postproduction.

Link
Old October 14 2013, 12:10 AM   #89
Irishman
Fleet Captain

If ANYONE needs to apologize for lens flare, it's these jackholes!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJJL2wO0mqU
Irishman is offline   Reply With Quote