Horse 1, Shatner 0
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Drexler TV Alert
By: T'Bonz on Jul 26

Retro Review: His Way
By: Michelle on Jul 26

MicroWarriors Releases Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Old September 30 2013, 08:38 AM   #16
Kestra
Vice Admiral

Re: Chocolate Bacon

Cooking for the divorced?

Kestra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30 2013, 08:42 PM   #17
RobertVA
Fleet Captain

Kestra wrote: View Post

Occasionally I'll buy from hat chain store, but a competing national chain has a significantly better selection and often better prices, although they're criticized in some circles. There are several locations of a competitive regional chain that are quite a bit closer to my home than that controversial chain.

While I can't use many of the large packages at the wholesale club, they do stock some six packs of normal size canned food and bags of frozen items like fish filets and chicken strips that I can take out of the package a serving at a time.

I barely use my kitchen range, normally preferring a microwave oven and a toaster oven that also has broiling capabilities.
RobertVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30 2013, 09:12 PM   #18
Spot's Meow
Vice Admiral

When I read the thread title I instantly thought of the state fair!

I recently had deep fried red velvet cake at the fair. There was also deep fried watermelon and pineappe upside down cake, but I didn't get a chance to try those. I haven't had chocolate bacon, I don't see those two things going together!

I love funnel cakes. They are very popular at theme parks. Usually I have them with just powdered sugar, or some chocolate, nutella, or strawberries on top. They are called funnel cakes because the batter is poured through a funnel into hot oil, giving it a twisted, overlapping lines look. It tastes like fried donut batter and is topped with sweet things.
—T.S. Eliot
Spot's Meow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1 2013, 12:39 AM   #19
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.

I'm thinking I may have seen something like a funnel cake at dutch vans. We have a lot of dutch immigrants and there is always some kind of batter thing going on.

Spot's Meow wrote: View Post
When I read the thread title I instantly thought of the state fair!

I recently had deep fried red velvet cake at the fair. There was also deep fried watermelon and pineappe upside down cake, but I didn't get a chance to try those. I haven't had chocolate bacon, I don't see those two things going together!
WOW deep fried red velvet! I've run into red velvet twice in Aus, having looked it up after seeing it in a movie all I can say is one second of research could have saved these cakes from horribleness. The first one I ordered was LIKE A ROCK. Completely dense, very unpleasantly dense. I asked the chef, he said he "made it with polenta". Surely this is incorrect? It was so awful tasting I returned it (a first).

Second one I've seen is the local bakery which sells their godawful mudcakes and mudcake cupcakes with a red velvet variety. It's just very bad, almost black, cake made with such low quality chocolate there is zero chocolate flavour only with like a litre of red dye in it. So much dye you can taste it. That was kind of hilarious.

I love pineapple upside down cake. We get hummingbird cake a lot here. I love it because I love pineapple and anything tropical.

What was the deep fried watermelon like? Was it battered? I've had pickled watermelon, that is DELICIOUS and pickled eggs in the South in the US. Pickled anything Aus is not into pickles at all, you don't get relish for instance anywhere. My pickled food consumption is mainly kimchi and other asian vegetable things.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1 2013, 05:18 PM   #20
Spot's Meow
Vice Admiral

I didn't have the watermelon myself, but here's an article with a slideshow of some of the interesting fair foods, including the watermelon:

http://fox40.com/2013/07/11/new-stat...ed-watermelon/

As for red velvet cake, it is supposed to be very light and fluffy, not dense! It tastes a bit like chocolate but not completely. Like any cake I'm sure it differs in quality greatly depending on where its made. Here's some interesting information about its origin from Wikipedia:

James Beard's 1972 reference, American Cookery,[1] describes three red velvet cakes varying in the amounts of shortening and butter, also vegetable oil. All used red food coloring, but the reaction of acidic vinegar and buttermilk tends to better reveal the red anthocyanin in cocoa and keeps the cake moist, light and fluffy. Before more alkaline "Dutch processed" cocoa was widely available, the red color would have been more pronounced. This natural tinting may have been the source for the name "red velvet" as well as "Devil's food" and similar names for chocolate cakes.[2][3]

When foods were rationed during World War II, bakers used boiled beet juices to enhance the color of their cakes. Beets are found in some red velvet cake recipes, where they also serve to retain moisture. Adams Extract, a Texas company, is credited for bringing the red velvet cake to kitchens across America during the time of the Great Depression by being one of the first to sell red food coloring and other flavor extracts with the use of point-of-sale posters and tear-off recipe cards.[4][5] The cake and its original recipe, however, are well known in the United States from New York City's famous Waldorf-Astoria Hotel. However, it is widely considered a Southern recipe.[3] Traditionally, the cake is iced with a French-style butter roux icing (also called ermine icing), which is very light and fluffy but time-consuming to prepare. Cream cheese frosting and buttercream frosting are variations which have increased in popularity.
ETA: Also, if you love pickles, you'll be happy to know that pickles on a stick are a common occurrence at fairs or events around here.
—T.S. Eliot
Spot's Meow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2 2013, 12:55 AM   #21
teacake
Admiral

Yes I do love pickles but the gerat big dill pickles I remember from NY don't exist here. The last thing I ate on a stick at a fair type event was baby green mangoes sliced in half

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old October 2 2013, 04:09 AM   #22
IndyJones
Vice Admiral

teacock wrote: View Post
WOW deep fried red velvet! I've run into red velvet twice in Aus, having looked it up after seeing it in a movie...
Steel Magnolias?
Travel's fatal to prejudice, bigotry, narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things can't be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's life.
IndyJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2 2013, 04:58 AM   #23
teacake
Admiral

Maybe, dunno. I do know I'd never heard of it before that.

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old October 2 2013, 06:13 AM   #24
IndyJones
Vice Admiral

Ah, it's a red velvet cake shaped like an armadillo.
Travel's fatal to prejudice, bigotry, narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things can't be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's life.
IndyJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3 2013, 08:59 AM   #25
SmoothieX
Vice Admiral

Kestra wrote: View Post

I'll help you write it. Divorced a year or two, still kinda grumpy about it, early 30s, we'd make a good team. Every dish will involve itching powder or something to that effect.
SmoothieX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3 2013, 09:23 AM   #26
trekkiedane
Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to trekkiedane

Never tasted the bacon chocolate mix.... I'm saving it for a special occasion... one where I can use my Bakon vodka and make some of these:

Click image for recipe.

On the subject of the cookbook; it would need to contain chapters on where to buy groceries for one! Where ever I look everything is family-sized
Old October 3 2013, 09:28 AM   #27
teacake
Admiral

Bacon and Vodka should never be friends. NEVER.

I may be prejudiced though. I am so over the smoked meat flavour that permeates some aus craft beers, I refuse to buy any new beer without tasting it first. If I wanted my beer to taste like nitrates and nitrites and someone's weirdass idea of smoked meat I would uhh... drop a shot of bacon vodka in it.

(Of course I would try the bacon vodka)

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old October 3 2013, 09:32 AM   #28
trekkiedane
Admiral

^But... it's a very good vodka infused with a fine full, yet somewhat discreet, bacon flavour... it is yummy

And perfect for Bloody Marys
Old October 3 2013, 09:37 AM   #29
teacake
Admiral

I will nod along to the Bloody Mary part.

I guess I'm just not very meat oriented. Now grass vodka, that is a work of art.

Still, you have piqued my interest!

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old October 3 2013, 09:44 AM   #30
trekkiedane
Admiral

Still, you have piqued my interest!
Cool!