RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,692
Members: 24,829
Currently online: 447
Newest member: 713brianp27

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old April 15 2014, 02:37 AM   #436
Gryffindorian
Vice Admiral

Re: Once Upon A Time Season 3

^ That was a weak take on Maleficent. They should revive and retcon her character to be more like Angelina Jolie.
Old April 15 2014, 04:17 AM   #437
sojourner
Admiral

The Wicked Witch was on Warehouse 13 tonight.
Old April 15 2014, 07:26 AM   #438
DigificWriter
Rear Admiral

Gryffindorian wrote: View Post
^ That was a weak take on Maleficent. They should revive and retcon her character to be more like Angelina Jolie.
That's a nice fantasy you're indulging in.

"Ze director's cut is ze film you saw in ze theater."
DigificWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15 2014, 05:16 PM   #439
Gryffindorian
Vice Admiral

A man can dream ...
Old April 15 2014, 05:20 PM   #440
DigificWriter
Rear Admiral

I've really enjoyed the way Once has taken both traditional Fairytales AND the 'Disneyfied' versions of said Fairytales AND put their own unique spin on them, so, for me, the show's take on Maleficent was just fine.

Old April 16 2014, 12:37 AM   #441
JD
Admiral

I liked what we got with Maleificent too. I wouldn't seeing her come back in some flashbacks, but I don't see any need to retcon anything.
I enjoyed this episode. I like Hook, and I enjoyed what they did with him here. I know it annoys some people when they turn make a more villainous character like him into a good guy, but I don't mind it and I think they've done it well here.
Old April 21 2014, 04:02 AM   #442
JanewayRulz!
Vice Admiral

I howled at Emma's comment upon learning her grandmother's hand in Cora's abandonment of baby Zelina.

"I thought we were the good guys."

I really liked the rapprochement we got tonight between Snow and Regina. "I was a brat." and later, "Regina I know you, you love with your whole being your whole soul, not just your heart."

And I loved what Regina did with THAT bit of advice.

You GO girl!
Old April 21 2014, 05:14 AM   #443
DigificWriter
Rear Admiral

Kudos to Adam and Eddy for once again adding new dimensions to what we thought we knew about certain events and characters.

With the revelations in tonight's episode, events as depicted in The Stable Boy, The Miller's Daughter, and The Queen is Dead take on an entirely new context.

Old April 21 2014, 05:27 AM   #444
Agent Richard07
Admiral

I totally didn't recognize David de Lautour.
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21 2014, 05:34 AM   #445
Anwar
Vice Admiral

Is everything really in a new context? I mean, even if it was partly out of jealousy Ava still did the right thing exposing Cora's lies like that. Cora still came off as power-hungry, and now all this does is explain why Ava was mean to Cora by tripping her (she remembered the liar who tried to con Leopold) which actually made it LESS petty.

Heck, Regina still hasn't admitted that she blamed an innocent defenseless kid for something her Mom did (killing Daniel) and her reasons for doing so: She blamed Snow because she knew she could get away with harming her, whereas she knew she could never beat Cora in a fair fight.
Anwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21 2014, 05:58 AM   #446
DigificWriter
Rear Admiral

^ Yes.

This episode tells us that
A) Eva knew exactly who Cora was when she tripped her
B) Cora and Leopold recognized one another when Cora offered him Regina's hand in marriage
C) Cora deliberately orchestrated not only Eva's death and Regina's rescue of Snow, but manipulated Leopold for the second time as well by playing on his grief over losing the woman he chose over her

Old April 21 2014, 06:36 AM   #447
Gryffindorian
Vice Admiral

I'm confused. Did they retcon Cora's character? Last time we saw her, she was married to a king who thought she could spin straw into gold, but not without Rumple's help. If this episode was a continuation of Cora's past, then this had to have happened before she met Rumple.

Again, I was confused by the earlier suggestion that Rumple was Zelena's biological father when this episode made it clear that a fake prince took advantage of a young Cora and got her pregnant.

Prince Leopold, Snow's father, had obviously met Cora before; in fact, he was going to marry her when Princess Eva, Snow's mother, exposed Cora's secret to the future king.

I liked the dynamic between Regina and Snow, especially when Cora's ghost tried to attack Snow and Regina protected her. They realized their pasts were more complicated than they thought. I did like how Regina mustered up the courage to finally kiss Robin Hood. Who could resist that hunky bandit?!
Old April 21 2014, 06:47 AM   #448
DigificWriter
Rear Admiral

Gryffindorian wrote: View Post
I'm confused. Did they retcon Cora's character? Last time we saw her, she was married to a king who thought she could spin straw into gold, but not without Rumple's help.
Those events happen AFTER the events we saw tonight.

Old April 21 2014, 11:52 AM   #449
JanewayRulz!
Vice Admiral

What's confusing is the timeline and everyone's respective ages.

How soon after their initial meeting did Leopold & Ava marry? Didn't it seem at Cora & Ava's "next" meeting (where she also meets Rumpel) that Ava wasn't married "yet"?

Its possible that even a year after meeting Cora briefly, the young lady simply didn't recognize Cora in that other castle.

Snow was 9-10ish when she met Regina and Regina was 18ish. Zelina was born & abandoned 7 months after Cora met Leopold. IF Cora didn't marry the boring prince (Rumple/straw/gold ep) until at least a year after her encounter with "Prince Jonathan" in the tavern that means Regina saves Snow's life (at the minimum) nearly 19 years after the 2 days Cora met Leopold, got engaged and then broke up. If so, then it's more than possible that Leopold simply didn't recognize Cora when he met her again during his proposal visit to Regina.

Despite Ava's hand in exposing Cora's deceit, Zelina's life is still a direct result of Cora's choices.

She chose to lie to Prince Leopold about NOT being pregnant rather than tell him about the gardener who played her false then abandoned her.

She chose to abandon the child to the elements where she was wisked away by a green tornado and found by parents of whom only one knew how to give her love.

I found it interesting that Cora chose Snow to impart this info to, rather than Regina.

Was it because she enjoyed bringing Snow's mother down a peg or two in Snow's estimation?

Or was it because she couldn't bear bringing down Regina's opinion even further about Cora?

It was very interesting that Regina and Snow couldn't figure out what "turned" spiteful Ava into the loving Queen that Snow and the kingdom remembers so fondly.

The same thing that helped Regina to change, the love of a child.

The one thing Cora never "felt" because she gave Zelina away when she HAD a heart and she had Regina after she ripped her own heart from her chest.

The dying Cora only understood the magnitude of her error with Regina when she could feel in that heart the power that love truly possessed.
Old April 21 2014, 04:54 PM   #450
DigificWriter
Rear Admiral

It might not have been PHYSICALLY apparent due to practical realities, but according to Adam, Eva and Leopold did clearly recognize Cora when they encountered her later on, and she certainly remembered them.