TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Closed Thread

Old October 11 2013, 02:50 AM   #586
kirk55555
Commodore

Re: Ok Trekkers, Don't Forget To Sign Up For Mandatory Obamacare Oct 1

MikeH92467 wrote: View Post
I'd like to personally invite you to post in the neutral zone where this discussion can be carried on in a more suitable arena.
If your talking to me, I'll stop posting if its a problem. I didn't mean to cause any trouble or to make anyone angry. I was honestly just posting about the topic, and I didn't mean to get some people riled up.
Old October 11 2013, 02:51 AM   #587
Ugly Sweater
Trekker4747

kirk55555 wrote: View Post
You also don't have to work nine hours a day if you don't need income. There is nothing I want or would do with extra money that makes up for all the negatives.
You've not made any "negatives" clear. And don't you want respect for yourself? That you can operate as your own person and be independent? If you don't work what DO you do with the hours of your days?
Old October 11 2013, 02:51 AM   #588
Peach Wookiee
Cuddly Mod of Doom

I was relatively lucky on the medical front until my late 20s. Then came the leg, the hiatal hernia and then almost two years ago, the appendix. That last... it's a good thing I had insurance. The total bill was decent sized, but without my insurance, it would have been at least $15000.
Old October 11 2013, 02:54 AM   #589
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
If you don't work what DO you do with the hours of your days?
That's a lot of masturbating!
Old October 11 2013, 02:55 AM   #590
kirk55555
Commodore

You also don't have to work nine hours a day if you don't need income. There is nothing I want or would do with extra money that makes up for all the negatives.
You've not made any "negatives" clear. And don't you want respect for yourself? That you can operate as your own person and be independent? If you don't work what DO you do with the hours of your days?
I already have respect for myself. As for what I do, I read, watch TV, go to the library. I don't know how being forced to work would make me more "independant". Anyway, I'm not trying to cause trouble. I'm not sure if MikeH92467 asking me to post in the neutral zone was a euphemism for something (maybe that I should stay silent for 70 years like the Romulans? ) but this is kind of screwing up the thread. I never intending to get into a long conversation about how I live my life and my desire to not work.
Old October 11 2013, 02:59 AM   #591
Ugly Sweater
Trekker4747

I already have respect for myself. As for what I do, I read, watch TV, go to the library. I don't know how being forced to work would make me more "independant". Anyway, I'm not trying to cause trouble. I'm not sure if MikeH92467 asking me to post in the neutral zone was a euphemism for something (maybe that I should stay silent for 70 years like the Romulans?) but this is kind of screwing up the thread. I never intending to get into a long conversation about how I live my life and my desire to not work.
There's a forum here called "The Neutral Zone" it's normally hidden, you have to opt into it.

Go to the "User CP" link at the tool bar on top. On the right side of the screen are a list of links. Second heading "Networking" click on "Groups and Memberships" and un-click the radial next to "The Neutral Zone."
Old October 11 2013, 03:00 AM   #592
IndyJones
Vice Admiral

It will hurt me because I will get a monetary penalty for not having health insurance. Thats fairly painful.
*Not* if you guys aren't making any money. Why don't you use some of that free time you've got actually learn about this stuff instead of just raging against it?
Travel's fatal to prejudice, bigotry, narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things can't be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's life.
Old October 11 2013, 03:03 AM   #593
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Dude, go get a job. It's fun to be a slacker for a while but you're at the age where it is simply time to grow up.

I'm not trying to be mean, I went through the same phase for a couple years from age eighteen to twenty. But I bet if they hooked your parents up to a lie-detector, you'd find out they are incredibly disappointed in you. Plus, it simply isn't fair that they are spending what should be their "time together" continuing to support you.

They did their job raising you, so let them off the hook because they obviously don't have the heart to tell you it is time to be a man.
Old October 11 2013, 03:31 AM   #594
Lumos Ziyal
Rear Admiral

Kirk55555, people have already pointed out that you can't be penalized by the ACA if you don't have to file taxes anyway. So all your stuff about the ACA only hurting you is nonsense.

And, btw, why not apply for Medicaid if you might be eligible? I know what it's like to be healthy as the proverbial horse for many years and then, overnight, not be. Illnesses happen, accidents happen, crimes happen...

It sounds like you're very insecure about your ability to cope with adult responsibilities. The things you sound intimidated by, like filing income tax returns, are not as complicated as they sound. And you can always get help with them.

You're very articulate. You said some foolish stuff, but you said it very well. I have a feeling that you're smarter and far more capable than you think you are.

Last edited by Lumos Ziyal; October 11 2013 at 03:54 AM.
Old October 11 2013, 03:49 AM   #595
Yanks
Fleet Captain

All I can say is that I'm in a weird position. I'm a 22 year old who has never had a job. My parents don't have, and won't get insurance (my mom works minimum wage and my dad gets money from the state because of work related injuries, although he's eventually going to be able to get a job again). We're definately a low income family (we get some state benefits like food assistance). Since I doubt I'll get a job between now and January, its going to be really interesting to see if they can fine someone with no income (and has never had income, so has never done taxes). Actually, knowing this country I'll probably end up in debtor's prison for the crime of not being able to pay what is essentially a tax on living

I personally support anything the republicans can do about this. It's funny, because I'm mostly moderate with stuff. I go with Democrats when it comes to things like people's rights to marry whoever, etc, and I hate a lot of the republican BS spouted by people and channels like fox news. But economically I hate Democrats and especially Obamacare (and yes, I'm aware my family's state assistance is because I live in a democrat dominated state, they do a few good things but I still mostly hate democrats economic ideas, especially Obamacare). I hope the republicans find a way to do something about Obamacare, or I'm screwed. Obamacare literally keeps me up at night. Nothing like a looming deadline for something you can't avoid or afford to give you tons of stress.
I'm afraid under Obummer Care your parents will have to purchase insurance. Can't think of a reason they wouldn't under the new law. it IS the law of the land you know.

But not to worry, you will be subsidized. Either you will be covered under your parents insurance until your 26, then Medicaid will be there for you. No need for you to support yourself. You've got about 99 months of unemployment (I think, don't honestly know if you qualify if you have never worked.) and food stamps for ever. Some states have those credit card things, you can pretty much buy whatever you want - no one will stop you or check.

Don't mind that working folks' health insurance rates will go up. President Obama knows this, that is why he has exempted business from the mandate for another year. See most of folks are insured through their employer. Of course, he wont do that for individuals that pay for their own insurance. Not sure why, he IS for the little guy you know.

Harry Reid knows this, that's why he wont compromise or even talk with The House.

Those "evil" the Republicans voted to fully fund the government, but added a requirement that everyone live under Obamacare. No more special waivers for Congress and their staff, and no waivers for big business without the same waivers for individuals.

Obama refused to negotiate and Senate Democrats refused to pass it.

I don't blame you for hating Democrats when it comes to business/jobs. They have no idea what they are doing. Look across America. Financially successful cities/towns are run by Republicans. Many elected into governorships/mayors after the Democrats ran them into the ground. (See Detroit)

Im N Ur Childhoodz will stereotype me as you've seen. It makes him/her feel important. I saw he preached to you as well. He doesn't know you, but chooses to categorize and demean you. Probably compensating for something. Not sure what.

I not as naive, for all I know you are blind, or have no legs or something like that as most people desire to earn a living and enjoy independence. I won't jump to conclusions. I can't believe there are people out there that just don't want to work.

Hope you don't end up in a situation where you get fined for existing. But as long as you don't work and don't have to file a tax return you should be good to go.

Good luck. Hope you Dad gets better soon.
Old October 11 2013, 03:53 AM   #596
Davros
Fleet Admiral

Yanks wrote: View Post
I'm afraid under Obummer Care your parents will have to purchase insurance.
Wrong again. Nobody has to purchase anything.
Old October 11 2013, 03:54 AM   #597
Santa Claus
Digitally Assisted

Send a message via ICQ to Santa Claus Send a message via AIM to Santa Claus Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Santa Claus Send a message via Yahoo to Santa Claus

All I can say is that I'm in a weird position. I'm a 22 year old who has never had a job. My parents don't have, and won't get insurance (my mom works minimum wage and my dad gets money from the state because of work related injuries, although he's eventually going to be able to get a job again). We're definately a low income family (we get some state benefits like food assistance). Since I doubt I'll get a job between now and January, its going to be really interesting to see if they can fine someone with no income (and has never had income, so has never done taxes). Actually, knowing this country I'll probably end up in debtor's prison for the crime of not being able to pay what is essentially a tax on living

I personally support anything the republicans can do about this. It's funny, because I'm mostly moderate with stuff. I go with Democrats when it comes to things like people's rights to marry whoever, etc, and I hate a lot of the republican BS spouted by people and channels like fox news. But economically I hate Democrats and especially Obamacare (and yes, I'm aware my family's state assistance is because I live in a democrat dominated state, they do a few good things but I still mostly hate democrats economic ideas, especially Obamacare). I hope the republicans find a way to do something about Obamacare, or I'm screwed. Obamacare literally keeps me up at night. Nothing like a looming deadline for something you can't avoid or afford to give you tons of stress.
I'm afraid under Obummer Care your parents will have to purchase insurance. Can't think of a reason they wouldn't under the new law. it IS the law of the land you know.

But not to worry, you will be subsidized. Either you will be covered under your parents insurance until your 26, then Medicaid will be there for you. No need for you to support yourself. You've got about 99 months of unemployment (I think, don't honestly know if you qualify if you have never worked.) and food stamps for ever. Some states have those credit card things, you can pretty much buy whatever you want - no one will stop you or check.

Don't mind that working folks' health insurance rates will go up. President Obama knows this, that is why he has exempted business from the mandate for another year. See most of folks are insured through their employer. Of course, he wont do that for individuals that pay for their own insurance. Not sure why, he IS for the little guy you know.

Harry Reid knows this, that's why he wont compromise or even talk with The House.

Those "evil" the Republicans voted to fully fund the government, but added a requirement that everyone live under Obamacare. No more special waivers for Congress and their staff, and no waivers for big business without the same waivers for individuals.

Obama refused to negotiate and Senate Democrats refused to pass it.

I don't blame you for hating Democrats when it comes to business/jobs. They have no idea what they are doing. Look across America. Financially successful cities/towns are run by Republicans. Many elected into governorships/mayors after the Democrats ran them into the ground. (See Detroit)

Im N Ur Childhoodz will stereotype me as you've seen. It makes him/her feel important. I saw he preached to you as well. He doesn't know you, but chooses to categorize and demean you. Probably compensating for something. Not sure what.

I not as naive, for all I know you are blind, or have no legs or something like that as most people desire to earn a living and enjoy independence. I won't jump to conclusions. I can't believe there are people out there that just don't want to work.

Hope you don't end up in a situation where you get fined for existing. But as long as you don't work and don't have to file a tax return you should be good to go.

Good luck. Hope you Dad gets better soon.
Hi, low income person here; has often gone without eating for days at a time, has lived in tents, outside under the stars, in driveways at night, has had lots of experience with the federal, state, and local safety nets, and, um, how can I phrase this gently, but... "what the fuck are you talking about?"

Your post is filled with the most ignorant, cliched, unchecked, statements I've seen since I talked with family members who think Obama's a Kenyan Muslim attacking their freedom. If you're one of those, carry on, facts won't affect your answers, but if you're not one of those, please cite your sources.

❄ A Joyful Holiday Season to You All! ❄

Old October 11 2013, 04:03 AM   #598
Yanks
Fleet Captain

Davros wrote: View Post
I'm afraid under Obummer Care your parents will have to purchase insurance.
Wrong again. Nobody has to purchase anything.
I guess technically you're right. But they will be fined if they don't, right?

That might as well be a purchase.
Old October 11 2013, 04:06 AM   #599
Lumos Ziyal
Rear Admiral

You've got about 99 months of unemployment (I think, don't honestly know if you qualify if you have never worked.)...
Don't be ridiculous. Of course he doesn't qualify for unemployment! Unemployment insurance is something that you and your employer pay into, in case you lose your job through no fault of your own. But I suspect you knew that already.
Old October 11 2013, 04:07 AM   #600
Davros
Fleet Admiral

I guess technically you're right. But they will be fined if they don't, right?

That might as well be a purchase.
Since the fine is less than the insurance, you are wrong yet again. But based on his description of his parents situation they qualify for medicaid and would not be subject to the fine.