RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 143,255
Members: 25,411
Currently online: 525
Newest member: V'alkis

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Closed Thread

Old October 1 2013, 06:10 PM   #136
J.T.B.
Commodore

Re: Ok Trekkers, Don't Forget To Sign Up For Mandatory Obamacare Oct 1

Alex1939 wrote: View Post
It will drastically reduce the quality of healthcare in the US. It will be a huge hindrance on this country's economy. Slowly the US is not becoming the best place to work and live for the brightest and most motivated of humankind.
The US already spends the biggest share of GDP on health-care but lags behind most wealthy industrialized nations in life expectancy, infant mortality and health outcomes. That's the system you apparently want to keep.

It's gonna cripple the US, but hey, at least yall get your terrible bottom of the barrel government provided healthcare.
So, you don't understand how most Americans get, and will continue to get, health care.

When I read posts here, I always walk away laughing at how dumb people can be and how little people realize how the world works.
I know how multi-quote works.
Old October 1 2013, 06:17 PM   #137
Manticore
Rear Admiral

You cannot compare smaller populations and economies to the 300,000,000 living in US.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Health_in_India

India has a universal health care system run by the constituent states and territories of India. The Constitution charges every state with "raising the level of nutrition and the standard of living of its people and the improvement of public health as among its primary duties". The National Health Policy was endorsed by the Parliament of India in 1983 and updated in 2002.
Old October 1 2013, 06:26 PM   #138
Robert Maxwell
Knives Out, 24/7/365

View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell

Anyone claiming a country the size of the US "can't" do universal healthcare is simply wrong. It's not a question of lacking resources.
Old October 1 2013, 06:27 PM   #139
Alex1939
Captain

J.T.B. wrote: View Post
It will drastically reduce the quality of healthcare in the US. It will be a huge hindrance on this country's economy. Slowly the US is not becoming the best place to work and live for the brightest and most motivated of humankind.
The US already spends the biggest share of GDP on health-care but lags behind most wealthy industrialized nations in life expectancy, infant mortality and health outcomes. That's the system you apparently want to keep.

It's gonna cripple the US, but hey, at least yall get your terrible bottom of the barrel government provided healthcare.
So, you don't understand how most Americans get, and will continue to get, health care.

When I read posts here, I always walk away laughing at how dumb people can be and how little people realize how the world works.
Unless I'm totally mistaken, Obamacare is not replacing Medicare/Medicaid.

Currently Medicare/Medicaid and SS make up over 1/3 of total US expenditures.

And we all see how well those are run, correct? So now we think Obamacare is going to be efficiently run government health program? Give me a break.
Old October 1 2013, 06:29 PM   #140
Alex1939
Captain

Robert Maxwell wrote: View Post
Anyone claiming a country the size of the US "can't" do universal healthcare is simply wrong. It's not a question of lacking resources.
Of course the US can do it. It will just ruin the economy and provide terrible government run healthcare that will be worse for most citizens that pay for health insurance now.

There is a huge difference in looking at healthcare for 300,000,000 vs 30,000,000.
Old October 1 2013, 06:30 PM   #141
Manticore
Rear Admiral

Of course the US can do it. It will just ruin the economy and provide terrible government run healthcare that will be worse for most citizens that pay for health insurance now.

There is a huge difference in looking at healthcare for 300,000,000 vs 30,000,000.
And of course you skip over how India has universal healthcare for a population of 1.2 billion.
Old October 1 2013, 06:32 PM   #142
Robert Maxwell
Knives Out, 24/7/365

View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell

Post proof or retract.
Old October 1 2013, 07:22 PM   #143
IndyJones
Vice Admiral

And we all see how well those are run, correct? So now we think Obamacare is going to be efficiently run government health program? Give me a break.
Medicare is widely understood and acknowledged to be run with a lower overhead than most private insurers, and the absence of a profit motive is an added benefit.

Whatever point you were trying to make by bringing it up, you may want to try again...

BTW, does the 1939 in your username refer to when you were born? Are you enrolled in Medicare?
Travel's fatal to prejudice, bigotry, narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things can't be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's life.
Old October 1 2013, 07:27 PM   #144
sidious618
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to sidious618

The opposition to the ACA is something that will be laughed about in 10 years time. It's not going anywhere other than being broadened in the future, likely to something similar to a public option.
Old October 1 2013, 07:32 PM   #145
Awesome Possum
Mad With Power

View Awesome Possum's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Awesome Possum Send a message via AIM to Awesome Possum

Unless I'm mistaken, "Obamacare" isn't a government healthcare system. It's a series of laws that affect private companies. These laws require that the companies allow anyone to enroll and that the companies can't drop them if they get sick, which they used to do. They also can no longer deny coverage, which they used to do.

Maybe you should understand what the issue is or at least see a source of information that isn't some rightwing rag.
I have existed from the creation of the forum and I shall exist until the last thread is deleted from the server. Although I have taken the form of Awesome Possum, I am all posters as I am no poster and therefore I am a Mod.
Old October 1 2013, 07:32 PM   #146
Haggis and tatties
Rear Admiral

So is this health care thing going to be similar to what we have in the UK, everybody gets access to healthcare regardless of work, income or ability to pay?

Old October 1 2013, 07:34 PM   #147
Locutus of Bored
Too Many Secrets

Marc wrote: View Post
Hopefully this horrible horrible policy will be blocked and eventually stopped from every happening. Absolute terrible entitlement that will have a significant role in crippling this country.

Make no mistake, this will help lead towards a worse future for Americans and humankind.
And millions being denied coverage isn't heading towards the worst possible future?

How about situations where health insurers retroactively cancel an insurance policy after the surgery has taken place leaving the patient out of pocket (As one poster on this board can attest).

Maybe you should do some reading before you post again becasue there are millions in Canada, the U.K, Australia, Scandinavia etc etc who have universal health coverage and guess what - we're not suffering for it and we have a lot better health than many many many Americans.
You cannot compare smaller populations and economies to the 300,000,000 living in US.

I realize this board is extremely liberal, but this idea of entitlements and everyone should have equal healthcare is a poor model for US economy.

Once the US goes down, it's bad for the planet, and it's bad for humankind.

J. Allen wrote: View Post
Hopefully this horrible horrible policy will be blocked and eventually stopped from every happening. Absolute terrible entitlement that will have a significant role in crippling this country.

Make no mistake, this will help lead towards a worse future for Americans and humankind.
Remember, kids, when you need it, "you earned it."
When someone else needs it, it's "entitlement."

Goddamn sick kids and their need to live. You're right, Alex, those poor kids who died from easily preventable illnesses were spoiled rotten, thinking they had the right to proper healthcare in one of the richest nations in the world.
Don't worry. When your kind is done with the US it will be a shithole and 3rd world country. Then we can all be sick, poor, and jobless together.

But hey, then we'll all be equals right!
iguana_tonante wrote: View Post
You guys are so funny. Also, if you are gonna write such silly things, please drop the iguana avatar. It's embarrassing.
I am keeping the avatar.

But I know what you mean. When I read posts here, I always walk away laughing at how dumb people can be and how little people realize how the world works. It really is comical. We should all have free healthcare and free houses and free food!

When it all goes to shit, look at those that are jealous of what others have accomplished and earned. You and they are to blame.

Click "Multi-Quote" on the posts you wish to respond to and then hit "Reply" down at the bottom so they'll all be compiled in one post instead of a bunch of separate posts.
'First Contact' is the tale of a man who just wants to cash in on his creation so he can get wasted on an island full of naked women, but his fans keep insisting that he's a saintly visionary who has profoundly altered the world. AKA - 'I Don't Want to be a Statue: The Gene Roddenberry Story.'
Old October 1 2013, 07:35 PM   #148
IndyJones
Vice Admiral

Haggis and tatties wrote: View Post
So is this health care thing going to be similar to what we have in the UK, everybody gets access to healthcare regardless of work, income or ability to pay?
No.

Which makes the Sky Is Falling rhetoric even more ridiculous.
Travel's fatal to prejudice, bigotry, narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things can't be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's life.

Last edited by IndyJones; October 1 2013 at 07:47 PM.
Old October 1 2013, 07:38 PM   #149
Awesome Possum
Mad With Power

View Awesome Possum's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Awesome Possum Send a message via AIM to Awesome Possum

Haggis and tatties wrote: View Post
No, we still have to pay the insurance companies. They just can't kick us off anymore. The insurance companies used to be able to kick people off for really any reason they wanted, usually because we required them. They like to take in money, but hate spending it. The people against the ACA are defending their desire to be money vampires.
I have existed from the creation of the forum and I shall exist until the last thread is deleted from the server. Although I have taken the form of Awesome Possum, I am all posters as I am no poster and therefore I am a Mod.
Old October 1 2013, 07:50 PM   #150
Alex1939
Captain

Manticore wrote: View Post

And of course you skip over how India has universal healthcare for a population of 1.2 billion.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Healthcare_in_India

"The lack of extensive and adequately funded public health services pushes large numbers of people to incur heavy out of pocket expenditures on services purchased from the private sector. Out of pocket expenditures arise even in public sector hospitals, since lack of medicines means that patients have to buy them. This results in a very high financial burden on families in case of severe illness.

The quality of Indian healthcare is varied. In major urban areas, healthcare is of adequate quality, approaching and occasionally meeting Western standards. However, access to quality medical care is limited or unavailable in most rural areas"

What a model healthcare system! I'm sure everything will work out great!
Closed Thread