RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 143,255
Posts: 5,603,138
Members: 25,411
Currently online: 525
Newest member: V'alkis


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old October 1 2013, 06:10 PM   #136
J.T.B.
Commodore
 
J.T.B.'s Avatar
 
Re: Ok Trekkers, Don't Forget To Sign Up For Mandatory Obamacare Oct 1

Alex1939 wrote: View Post
It will drastically reduce the quality of healthcare in the US. It will be a huge hindrance on this country's economy. Slowly the US is not becoming the best place to work and live for the brightest and most motivated of humankind.
The US already spends the biggest share of GDP on health-care but lags behind most wealthy industrialized nations in life expectancy, infant mortality and health outcomes. That's the system you apparently want to keep.

Alex1939 wrote: View Post
It's gonna cripple the US, but hey, at least yall get your terrible bottom of the barrel government provided healthcare.
So, you don't understand how most Americans get, and will continue to get, health care.

Alex1939 wrote: View Post
When I read posts here, I always walk away laughing at how dumb people can be and how little people realize how the world works.
I know how multi-quote works.
J.T.B. is offline  
Old October 1 2013, 06:17 PM   #137
Manticore
Rear Admiral
 
Location: Manticore
Re: Ok Trekkers, Don't Forget To Sign Up For Mandatory Obamacare Oct 1

Alex1939 wrote: View Post
You cannot compare smaller populations and economies to the 300,000,000 living in US.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Health_in_India

India has a universal health care system run by the constituent states and territories of India. The Constitution charges every state with "raising the level of nutrition and the standard of living of its people and the improvement of public health as among its primary duties". The National Health Policy was endorsed by the Parliament of India in 1983 and updated in 2002.
Manticore is offline  
Old October 1 2013, 06:26 PM   #138
Robert Maxwell
Knives Out, 24/7/365
 
Robert Maxwell's Avatar
 
Location: NJ Chapter
View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell
Re: Ok Trekkers, Don't Forget To Sign Up For Mandatory Obamacare Oct 1

Anyone claiming a country the size of the US "can't" do universal healthcare is simply wrong. It's not a question of lacking resources.
__________________
Not affiliated with those other white knights. I'm the good kind.
I has a blag.
Robert Maxwell is offline  
Old October 1 2013, 06:27 PM   #139
Alex1939
Captain
 
Alex1939's Avatar
 
Re: Ok Trekkers, Don't Forget To Sign Up For Mandatory Obamacare Oct 1

J.T.B. wrote: View Post
Alex1939 wrote: View Post
It will drastically reduce the quality of healthcare in the US. It will be a huge hindrance on this country's economy. Slowly the US is not becoming the best place to work and live for the brightest and most motivated of humankind.
The US already spends the biggest share of GDP on health-care but lags behind most wealthy industrialized nations in life expectancy, infant mortality and health outcomes. That's the system you apparently want to keep.

Alex1939 wrote: View Post
It's gonna cripple the US, but hey, at least yall get your terrible bottom of the barrel government provided healthcare.
So, you don't understand how most Americans get, and will continue to get, health care.

Alex1939 wrote: View Post
When I read posts here, I always walk away laughing at how dumb people can be and how little people realize how the world works.
I know how multi-quote works.
Unless I'm totally mistaken, Obamacare is not replacing Medicare/Medicaid.

Currently Medicare/Medicaid and SS make up over 1/3 of total US expenditures.

And we all see how well those are run, correct? So now we think Obamacare is going to be efficiently run government health program? Give me a break.
Alex1939 is offline  
Old October 1 2013, 06:29 PM   #140
Alex1939
Captain
 
Alex1939's Avatar
 
Re: Ok Trekkers, Don't Forget To Sign Up For Mandatory Obamacare Oct 1

Robert Maxwell wrote: View Post
Anyone claiming a country the size of the US "can't" do universal healthcare is simply wrong. It's not a question of lacking resources.
Of course the US can do it. It will just ruin the economy and provide terrible government run healthcare that will be worse for most citizens that pay for health insurance now.


There is a huge difference in looking at healthcare for 300,000,000 vs 30,000,000.
Alex1939 is offline  
Old October 1 2013, 06:30 PM   #141
Manticore
Rear Admiral
 
Location: Manticore
Re: Ok Trekkers, Don't Forget To Sign Up For Mandatory Obamacare Oct 1

Alex1939 wrote: View Post
Robert Maxwell wrote: View Post
Anyone claiming a country the size of the US "can't" do universal healthcare is simply wrong. It's not a question of lacking resources.
Of course the US can do it. It will just ruin the economy and provide terrible government run healthcare that will be worse for most citizens that pay for health insurance now.


There is a huge difference in looking at healthcare for 300,000,000 vs 30,000,000.
And of course you skip over how India has universal healthcare for a population of 1.2 billion.
Manticore is offline  
Old October 1 2013, 06:32 PM   #142
Robert Maxwell
Knives Out, 24/7/365
 
Robert Maxwell's Avatar
 
Location: NJ Chapter
View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell
Re: Ok Trekkers, Don't Forget To Sign Up For Mandatory Obamacare Oct 1

Alex1939 wrote: View Post
Robert Maxwell wrote: View Post
Anyone claiming a country the size of the US "can't" do universal healthcare is simply wrong. It's not a question of lacking resources.
Of course the US can do it. It will just ruin the economy and provide terrible government run healthcare that will be worse for most citizens that pay for health insurance now.


There is a huge difference in looking at healthcare for 300,000,000 vs 30,000,000.
Post proof or retract.
__________________
Not affiliated with those other white knights. I'm the good kind.
I has a blag.
Robert Maxwell is offline  
Old October 1 2013, 07:22 PM   #143
IndyJones
Vice Admiral
 
IndyJones's Avatar
 
Location: Chicago
Re: Ok Trekkers, Don't Forget To Sign Up For Mandatory Obamacare Oct 1

Alex1939 wrote: View Post
Unless I'm totally mistaken, Obamacare is not replacing Medicare/Medicaid.

Currently Medicare/Medicaid and SS make up over 1/3 of total US expenditures.

And we all see how well those are run, correct? So now we think Obamacare is going to be efficiently run government health program? Give me a break.
Medicare is widely understood and acknowledged to be run with a lower overhead than most private insurers, and the absence of a profit motive is an added benefit.

Whatever point you were trying to make by bringing it up, you may want to try again...

BTW, does the 1939 in your username refer to when you were born? Are you enrolled in Medicare?
__________________
Travel's fatal to prejudice, bigotry, narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things can't be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's life.
IndyJones is offline  
Old October 1 2013, 07:27 PM   #144
sidious618
Admiral
 
sidious618's Avatar
 
Location: New York, US
Send a message via AIM to sidious618
Re: Ok Trekkers, Don't Forget To Sign Up For Mandatory Obamacare Oct 1

The opposition to the ACA is something that will be laughed about in 10 years time. It's not going anywhere other than being broadened in the future, likely to something similar to a public option.
__________________
We've met before, haven't we?
sidious618 is online now  
Old October 1 2013, 07:32 PM   #145
Awesome Possum
Mad With Power
 
Awesome Possum's Avatar
 
Location: Awesome Possum Land
View Awesome Possum's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Awesome Possum Send a message via AIM to Awesome Possum
Re: Ok Trekkers, Don't Forget To Sign Up For Mandatory Obamacare Oct 1

Alex1939 wrote: View Post
J.T.B. wrote: View Post
Alex1939 wrote: View Post
It will drastically reduce the quality of healthcare in the US. It will be a huge hindrance on this country's economy. Slowly the US is not becoming the best place to work and live for the brightest and most motivated of humankind.
The US already spends the biggest share of GDP on health-care but lags behind most wealthy industrialized nations in life expectancy, infant mortality and health outcomes. That's the system you apparently want to keep.


So, you don't understand how most Americans get, and will continue to get, health care.

Alex1939 wrote: View Post
When I read posts here, I always walk away laughing at how dumb people can be and how little people realize how the world works.
I know how multi-quote works.
Unless I'm totally mistaken, Obamacare is not replacing Medicare/Medicaid.

Currently Medicare/Medicaid and SS make up over 1/3 of total US expenditures.

And we all see how well those are run, correct? So now we think Obamacare is going to be efficiently run government health program? Give me a break.
Unless I'm mistaken, "Obamacare" isn't a government healthcare system. It's a series of laws that affect private companies. These laws require that the companies allow anyone to enroll and that the companies can't drop them if they get sick, which they used to do. They also can no longer deny coverage, which they used to do.

Maybe you should understand what the issue is or at least see a source of information that isn't some rightwing rag.
__________________
I have existed from the creation of the forum and I shall exist until the last thread is deleted from the server. Although I have taken the form of Awesome Possum, I am all posters as I am no poster and therefore I am a Mod.
Awesome Possum is offline  
Old October 1 2013, 07:32 PM   #146
Haggis and tatties
Rear Admiral
 
Haggis and tatties's Avatar
 
Location: Glasgow
Re: Ok Trekkers, Don't Forget To Sign Up For Mandatory Obamacare Oct 1

So is this health care thing going to be similar to what we have in the UK, everybody gets access to healthcare regardless of work, income or ability to pay?
__________________

Haggis and tatties is offline  
Old October 1 2013, 07:34 PM   #147
Locutus of Bored
Too Many Secrets
 
Locutus of Bored's Avatar
 
Location: Huntington Beach, California
Re: Ok Trekkers, Don't Forget To Sign Up For Mandatory Obamacare Oct 1

Alex1939 wrote: View Post
Marc wrote: View Post
Alex1939 wrote: View Post
Hopefully this horrible horrible policy will be blocked and eventually stopped from every happening. Absolute terrible entitlement that will have a significant role in crippling this country.

Make no mistake, this will help lead towards a worse future for Americans and humankind.
And millions being denied coverage isn't heading towards the worst possible future?

How about situations where health insurers retroactively cancel an insurance policy after the surgery has taken place leaving the patient out of pocket (As one poster on this board can attest).

Maybe you should do some reading before you post again becasue there are millions in Canada, the U.K, Australia, Scandinavia etc etc who have universal health coverage and guess what - we're not suffering for it and we have a lot better health than many many many Americans.
You cannot compare smaller populations and economies to the 300,000,000 living in US.

I realize this board is extremely liberal, but this idea of entitlements and everyone should have equal healthcare is a poor model for US economy.

It will drastically reduce the quality of healthcare in the US. It will be a huge hindrance on this country's economy. Slowly the US is not becoming the best place to work and live for the brightest and most motivated of humankind.

Once the US goes down, it's bad for the planet, and it's bad for humankind.

It's gonna cripple the US, but hey, at least yall get your terrible bottom of the barrel government provided healthcare.
Alex1939 wrote: View Post
J. Allen wrote: View Post
Alex1939 wrote: View Post
Hopefully this horrible horrible policy will be blocked and eventually stopped from every happening. Absolute terrible entitlement that will have a significant role in crippling this country.

Make no mistake, this will help lead towards a worse future for Americans and humankind.
Remember, kids, when you need it, "you earned it."
When someone else needs it, it's "entitlement."

Goddamn sick kids and their need to live. You're right, Alex, those poor kids who died from easily preventable illnesses were spoiled rotten, thinking they had the right to proper healthcare in one of the richest nations in the world.
Don't worry. When your kind is done with the US it will be a shithole and 3rd world country. Then we can all be sick, poor, and jobless together.

But hey, then we'll all be equals right!
Alex1939 wrote: View Post
iguana_tonante wrote: View Post
You guys are so funny. Also, if you are gonna write such silly things, please drop the iguana avatar. It's embarrassing.
I am keeping the avatar.

But I know what you mean. When I read posts here, I always walk away laughing at how dumb people can be and how little people realize how the world works. It really is comical. We should all have free healthcare and free houses and free food!

When it all goes to shit, look at those that are jealous of what others have accomplished and earned. You and they are to blame.
Alex1939 wrote: View Post
J.T.B. wrote: View Post
Alex1939 wrote: View Post
It will drastically reduce the quality of healthcare in the US. It will be a huge hindrance on this country's economy. Slowly the US is not becoming the best place to work and live for the brightest and most motivated of humankind.
The US already spends the biggest share of GDP on health-care but lags behind most wealthy industrialized nations in life expectancy, infant mortality and health outcomes. That's the system you apparently want to keep.

So, you don't understand how most Americans get, and will continue to get, health care.

Alex1939 wrote: View Post
When I read posts here, I always walk away laughing at how dumb people can be and how little people realize how the world works.
I know how multi-quote works.
Unless I'm totally mistaken, Obamacare is not replacing Medicare/Medicaid.

Currently Medicare/Medicaid and SS make up over 1/3 of total US expenditures.

And we all see how well those are run, correct? So now we think Obamacare is going to be efficiently run government health program? Give me a break.
Alex1939 wrote: View Post
Robert Maxwell wrote: View Post
Anyone claiming a country the size of the US "can't" do universal healthcare is simply wrong. It's not a question of lacking resources.
Of course the US can do it. It will just ruin the economy and provide terrible government run healthcare that will be worse for most citizens that pay for health insurance now.


There is a huge difference in looking at healthcare for 300,000,000 vs 30,000,000.
Click "Multi-Quote" on the posts you wish to respond to and then hit "Reply" down at the bottom so they'll all be compiled in one post instead of a bunch of separate posts.
__________________
'First Contact' is the tale of a man who just wants to cash in on his creation so he can get wasted on an island full of naked women, but his fans keep insisting that he's a saintly visionary who has profoundly altered the world. AKA - 'I Don't Want to be a Statue: The Gene Roddenberry Story.'
Locutus of Bored is offline  
Old October 1 2013, 07:35 PM   #148
IndyJones
Vice Admiral
 
IndyJones's Avatar
 
Location: Chicago
Re: Ok Trekkers, Don't Forget To Sign Up For Mandatory Obamacare Oct 1

Haggis and tatties wrote: View Post
So is this health care thing going to be similar to what we have in the UK, everybody gets access to healthcare regardless of work, income or ability to pay?
No.

Which makes the Sky Is Falling rhetoric even more ridiculous.
__________________
Travel's fatal to prejudice, bigotry, narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things can't be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's life.

Last edited by IndyJones; October 1 2013 at 07:47 PM.
IndyJones is offline  
Old October 1 2013, 07:38 PM   #149
Awesome Possum
Mad With Power
 
Awesome Possum's Avatar
 
Location: Awesome Possum Land
View Awesome Possum's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Awesome Possum Send a message via AIM to Awesome Possum
Re: Ok Trekkers, Don't Forget To Sign Up For Mandatory Obamacare Oct 1

Haggis and tatties wrote: View Post
So is this health care thing going to be similar to what we have in the UK, everybody gets access to healthcare regardless of work, income or ability to pay?
No, we still have to pay the insurance companies. They just can't kick us off anymore. The insurance companies used to be able to kick people off for really any reason they wanted, usually because we required them. They like to take in money, but hate spending it. The people against the ACA are defending their desire to be money vampires.
__________________
I have existed from the creation of the forum and I shall exist until the last thread is deleted from the server. Although I have taken the form of Awesome Possum, I am all posters as I am no poster and therefore I am a Mod.
Awesome Possum is offline  
Old October 1 2013, 07:50 PM   #150
Alex1939
Captain
 
Alex1939's Avatar
 
Re: Ok Trekkers, Don't Forget To Sign Up For Mandatory Obamacare Oct 1

Manticore wrote: View Post
Alex1939 wrote: View Post
Robert Maxwell wrote: View Post
Anyone claiming a country the size of the US "can't" do universal healthcare is simply wrong. It's not a question of lacking resources.
Of course the US can do it. It will just ruin the economy and provide terrible government run healthcare that will be worse for most citizens that pay for health insurance now.


There is a huge difference in looking at healthcare for 300,000,000 vs 30,000,000.
And of course you skip over how India has universal healthcare for a population of 1.2 billion.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Healthcare_in_India

"The lack of extensive and adequately funded public health services pushes large numbers of people to incur heavy out of pocket expenditures on services purchased from the private sector. Out of pocket expenditures arise even in public sector hospitals, since lack of medicines means that patients have to buy them. This results in a very high financial burden on families in case of severe illness.

The quality of Indian healthcare is varied. In major urban areas, healthcare is of adequate quality, approaching and occasionally meeting Western standards. However, access to quality medical care is limited or unavailable in most rural areas"


What a model healthcare system! I'm sure everything will work out great!
Alex1939 is offline  
Closed Thread

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 06:25 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.