Star Trek Movie Prop Auction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

New Trek Home Fashions
By: T'Bonz on Jul 4

Star Trek Pop-Ups Book Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 3

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

Old September 30 2013, 02:20 PM   #16
The Wormhole
Admiral

Re: Remember STAR TREK: NEMESIS?

In all honesty, I like Nemesis. It and Generations are the two TNG movies I watch the most.

Yes, I am serious.
Old September 30 2013, 04:04 PM   #17
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

The Wormhole wrote: View Post
In all honesty, I like Nemesis. It and Generations are the two TNG movies I watch the most.

Yes, I am serious.
Right there with you. Of the four TNG movies, I enjoy Generations the most, then Nemesis, then Insurrection, and finally First Contact (which I think is the worst of all the Star Trek films).

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30 2013, 04:46 PM   #18
Mr Awe
Rear Admiral

I enjoy Nemesis as well. Never did understand that hatred that it received. But, I don't think Nemesis has anything to do with Day of the Doctor, not even as an analogy!

Mr Awe
Mr Awe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30 2013, 11:52 PM   #19
sttngfan1701d
Commodore

I think Nemesis was undone by some poor decisions but by and large I don't think it was that bad. For what it's worth, my favorite TNG film is Insurrection precisely BECAUSE it felt like a TNG episode.

The DW 50th anniversary, like anything, will delight some, piss off others (though the ones that will be pissed off are the fans that want to act like 1981 was the paragon of Who and everything post-2005 sucks) and leave others ambivalent. There's no way that it can match the hype. But I will say that even I have this weird feeling about it, like they haven't done as much as they could have to take advantage of this opportunity and will try to cover it using "sight cameos."

Of course, that could all be part of the misdirection. Who knows? They might have a load of surprises in there that no one expects.
sttngfan1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1 2013, 12:05 AM   #20
Emperor-Tiberius
Fleet Captain

I like Nemesis. But I do hate, hate, hate Generations.
"Seventy eight point four years, Doctor."

The Holy Three meet again, in The Return
Emperor-Tiberius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1 2013, 03:32 AM   #21
The Wormhole
Admiral

Allyn Gibson wrote: View Post

Yes, I am serious.
Right there with you. Of the four TNG movies, I enjoy Generations the most, then Nemesis, then Insurrection, and finally First Contact (which I think is the worst of all the Star Trek films).
I'm certainly not that harsh on First Contact, though I do think it's an overrated movie. Possibly the most overrated of all the Trek movies, but certainly not the worse Trek movie.

sttngfan1701d wrote: View Post
though the ones that will be pissed off are the fans that want to act like 1981 was the paragon of Who and everything post-2005 sucks
Does anyone actually think 1981 was the paragon of Who? That's Tom Baker's final season, which sucked for the most part. Specifically, we're talking about Warriors' Gate, Keeper of Traken and Logopolis, none of which I think very highly anyway.

1973 was the paragon of Who.
Old October 1 2013, 04:31 AM   #22
sttngfan1701d
Commodore

Does anyone actually think 1981 was the paragon of Who? That's Tom Baker's final season, which sucked for the most part. Specifically, we're talking about Warriors' Gate, Keeper of Traken and Logopolis, none of which I think very highly anyway.

You tell 'em!

Of course I just picked '81 randomly as a pre-2005 number. But you knew that and went along. Thanks.
Old October 1 2013, 06:44 AM   #23
StarMan
Vice Admiral

I'm sure Nemesis had a trailer out several weeks before it's premiere.

*Ahem*
Old October 1 2013, 08:00 AM   #24
sttngfan1701d
Commodore

StarMan wrote: View Post
I'm sure Nemesis had a trailer out several weeks before it's premiere.

*Ahem*
There have been two trailers thus far for the 50th. But the unwashed general public masses couldn't see them. There's one coming but...uh, it's still in post. It's so super-special it's taken weeks, nay...MONTHS to put together!
Old October 1 2013, 10:53 AM   #25
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

There's a difference between promoting a film for the mass cinema market, one which will need to 'open big' and secure repeat viewing (as genre films are expected to do) and promoting a tv episode, which will air once on BBC1, probably again on BBC3 and then be available on iplayer.

Don't get me wrong, I'm more than keen to see a trailer or some footage from this episode, but we're not comparing like with like.
Old October 1 2013, 10:02 PM   #26
StarMan
Vice Admiral

^Oh, don't get me wrong - I understand that. I was a bit miffed when the exclusive comic con trailer wasn't released to the public. However, I swallowed my disappointment with the expectation that something wouldn't be too far off for the average fan boy. That was some time ago and now with the special airing next month, isn't Joe Public due for something? (Or perhaps, aren't I due for something? Yes, I feel entitled. )

Of course I'll be giddy when get my fix, eventually.
Old October 1 2013, 10:11 PM   #27
Candlelight
Admiral

Why is this thread showing up in the Doctor Who forum??
Old October 1 2013, 10:47 PM   #28
Stevil2001
Rear Admiral

sttngfan1701d wrote: View Post
though the ones that will be pissed off are the fans that want to act like 1981 was the paragon of Who and everything post-2005 sucks

I love Warriors' Gate, The Keeper of Traken, and Logopolis, all of which were broadcast in 1981. Season 18 is one of my favorites!

I'm not sure what this proves.
Old October 2 2013, 12:22 AM   #29
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

^ Warrior's Gate isn't a bad episode. It's probably the only good episode in the entire E Space saga.

That being said, I wouldn't mind a return to E Space in order to bring back Lalla Ward for a guest appearance.

Captaindemotion wrote: View Post
I see no similarity whatsoever to the forthcoming 50th anniversary DW Special and Star Trek: Nemesis.
Yeah. I have no idea if the 50th Anniversary special will be better or worse than Star Trek: Nemesis, but I don't see much of a parallel factually in order to compare the two. You could compare one of hundreds of movies and television episodes just as easily.
Old October 2 2013, 03:36 AM   #30
The Wormhole
Admiral

Alidar Jarok wrote: View Post
^ Warrior's Gate isn't a bad episode. It's probably the only good episode in the entire E Space saga.
Personally, I find State of Decay to be the best of the E Space trilogy.