RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 141,521
Posts: 5,512,258
Members: 25,138
Currently online: 437
Newest member: Tosty82

TrekToday headlines

Captain Kirk’s Boldest Missions
By: T'Bonz on Dec 25

Trek Paper Clips
By: T'Bonz on Dec 24

Sargent Passes
By: T'Bonz on Dec 23

QMx Trek Insignia Badges
By: T'Bonz on Dec 23

And The New Director Of Star Trek 3 Is…
By: T'Bonz on Dec 23

TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

IDW Publishing March 2015 Comics
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old October 31 2013, 04:42 PM   #196
Ugly Sweater
Trekker4747
 
Ugly Sweater's Avatar
 
Location: Kansas City
Re: Things people often say you find amusing...

Aero-breathing life. wait....
__________________
Just because it's futuristic doesn't mean it's practical.
Ugly Sweater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31 2013, 11:24 PM   #197
Olive, the Other Reindeer
Vice Admiral
 
Olive, the Other Reindeer's Avatar
 
Location: scotpens
Re: Things people often say you find amusing...

Rhubarbodendron wrote: View Post
iguana_tonante wrote: View Post
Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
It's not often, but has happened more times than it should.

When people ask me if our pork is kosher.
Of course it is. It never eats shellfish, or mix meat and cheese.
Shellfish are forbidden too? - Hmm, at second thought: makes sense for the religion of a desert-dwelling people.

Boy, am I glad that I'm an atheist and need't bother with this complicated stuff! (and I may eat shellfish! Yay! )
Most American Jews figure that pork and shellfish are kosher as long as they're in Chinese food.


Vendikarr wrote: View Post
And of course businesses who tell you can call and speak to a live person. I know they mean instead of a recording, but my first thought is 'as opposed to speaking with a dead person?'
Not to mention all those strip joints -- excuse me, "gentlemen's clubs" -- that feature "live nude girls." I guess they didn't get many customers when they had dead nude girls!


Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
MacLeod wrote: View Post
Hollywood Werewolf wrote: View Post
Well, I think it sounds silly to put an "o" in the middle of airplane.
Do you mean aeroplane? Which does make kind of sense since we talk of aerodynamics, aeronautics.
Aero-breathing life. wait....
Playing aero-guitar?
__________________
“All the universe or nothingness. Which shall it be, Passworthy? Which shall it be?”
Olive, the Other Reindeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31 2013, 11:39 PM   #198
Lumos Ziyal
Rear Admiral
 
Lumos Ziyal's Avatar
 
Location: with Tora Ziyal
Re: Things people often say you find amusing...

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
It's not often, but has happened more times than it should.

When people ask me if our pork is kosher.
That's great! Reminds me of the phone calls Catholic churches sometimes get right before Christmas: "What time is midnight Mass?"
Lumos Ziyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31 2013, 11:46 PM   #199
Ugly Sweater
Trekker4747
 
Ugly Sweater's Avatar
 
Location: Kansas City
Re: Things people often say you find amusing...

One time some asked me why not and I explained to them things about rumination and cloven hooves and that even if pork COULD be kosher ours wouldn't be due to processing methods. Basically our food doesn't meet Jewish dietary doctrine so don't eat it if you or a loved one want to be kosher.
__________________
Just because it's futuristic doesn't mean it's practical.

Last edited by Ugly Sweater; November 1 2013 at 12:15 AM.
Ugly Sweater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31 2013, 11:55 PM   #200
auntiehill
Fleet Admiral
 
auntiehill's Avatar
 
Location: hillsville
Re: Things people often say you find amusing...

"Meat kosher doctrine?" No pun intended?
auntiehill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1 2013, 01:32 AM   #201
Rķu rķu, chķu
Fleet Admiral
 
Rķu rķu, chķu's Avatar
 
Location: Mr. Laser Beam is in the visitor's bullpen
View Rķu rķu, chķu's Twitter Profile
Re: Things people often say you find amusing...

Rhubarbodendron wrote: View Post
Boy, am I glad that I'm an atheist and need't bother with this complicated stuff! (and I may eat shellfish! Yay! )
I'm Lutheran and *I* don't bother with it either. We don't have any dietary rules. We can eat whatever we want, when we want it!
__________________
"A hot dog at the ballpark is better than a steak at the Ritz." - Humphrey Bogart
Rķu rķu, chķu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1 2013, 01:50 AM   #202
Ugly Sweater
Trekker4747
 
Ugly Sweater's Avatar
 
Location: Kansas City
Re: Things people often say you find amusing...

Well, to be fair I doubt most modern-day Jews keep completely kosher either.
__________________
Just because it's futuristic doesn't mean it's practical.
Ugly Sweater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1 2013, 09:19 AM   #203
rhubarbodendron
Commodore
 
rhubarbodendron's Avatar
 
Location: milky way, outer spiral arm, Sol 3
Re: Things people often say you find amusing...

George Steinbrenner wrote: View Post
I'm Lutheran and *I* don't bother with it either. We don't have any dietary rules. We can eat whatever we want, when we want it!
How about fasting time in general and Good Friday in particular? Luther said Fasten und leiblich sich bereiten ist wohl eine feine äußerliche Zucht (fasting and physically preparing oneself [for mass] is indeed a fine custom).
__________________
a hug a day keeps the psachiatrist away
rhubarbodendron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1 2013, 10:16 AM   #204
RJDonner&Blitzen
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion
 
RJDonner&Blitzen's Avatar
 
Location: RJDiogenes of Boston
Re: Things people often say you find amusing...

A number of years ago, there was a story in Analog where the question raised was whether or not a genetically engineered pig was kosher. The animal had been modified to chew its cud-- the reason was that it increased the nutritional value of the meat or would somehow increase the food supply, I forget the details. It was an interesting example of how science and technology can upend social assumptions.
__________________
Please stop by my Gallery and YouTube Page for a visit. And read Trunkards! And check out my Heroes essays.
RJDonner&Blitzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1 2013, 01:59 PM   #205
Olive, the Other Reindeer
Vice Admiral
 
Olive, the Other Reindeer's Avatar
 
Location: scotpens
Re: Things people often say you find amusing...

RJDemonicus wrote: View Post
A number of years ago, there was a story in Analog where the question raised was whether or not a genetically engineered pig was kosher. The animal had been modified to chew its cud-- the reason was that it increased the nutritional value of the meat or would somehow increase the food supply, I forget the details. It was an interesting example of how science and technology can upend social assumptions.
Which leads to bizarre (to many Jews and non-Jews alike) cheats or work-arounds like the Shabbat elevator.
__________________
“All the universe or nothingness. Which shall it be, Passworthy? Which shall it be?”
Olive, the Other Reindeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1 2013, 02:56 PM   #206
J.T.B.
Commodore
 
J.T.B.'s Avatar
 
Re: Things people often say you find amusing...

It used to really bug me when traffic reporters would talk about "surface streets." Where else would a street be? Then someone pointed out that it's a way to refer to roads that don't have grade separations, which makes sense to me and I no longer have any objections to the term.
J.T.B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1 2013, 03:08 PM   #207
Rķu rķu, chķu
Fleet Admiral
 
Rķu rķu, chķu's Avatar
 
Location: Mr. Laser Beam is in the visitor's bullpen
View Rķu rķu, chķu's Twitter Profile
Re: Things people often say you find amusing...

Rhubarbodendron wrote: View Post
George Steinbrenner wrote: View Post
I'm Lutheran and *I* don't bother with it either. We don't have any dietary rules. We can eat whatever we want, when we want it!
How about fasting time in general and Good Friday in particular? Luther said Fasten und leiblich sich bereiten ist wohl eine feine äußerliche Zucht (fasting and physically preparing oneself [for mass] is indeed a fine custom).
A fine custom, yes, but not required.
__________________
"A hot dog at the ballpark is better than a steak at the Ritz." - Humphrey Bogart
Rķu rķu, chķu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1 2013, 09:07 PM   #208
auntiehill
Fleet Admiral
 
auntiehill's Avatar
 
Location: hillsville
Re: Things people often say you find amusing...

Hollywood Werewolf wrote: View Post
RJDemonicus wrote: View Post
A number of years ago, there was a story in Analog where the question raised was whether or not a genetically engineered pig was kosher. The animal had been modified to chew its cud-- the reason was that it increased the nutritional value of the meat or would somehow increase the food supply, I forget the details. It was an interesting example of how science and technology can upend social assumptions.
Which leads to bizarre (to many Jews and non-Jews alike) cheats or work-arounds like the Shabbat elevator.
Wow. Reading stuff like that just makes me even happier to be an atheist; it's just so much easier.
auntiehill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1 2013, 09:25 PM   #209
Olive, the Other Reindeer
Vice Admiral
 
Olive, the Other Reindeer's Avatar
 
Location: scotpens
Re: Things people often say you find amusing...

J.T.B. wrote: View Post
It used to really bug me when traffic reporters would talk about "surface streets." Where else would a street be? Then someone pointed out that it's a way to refer to roads that don't have grade separations, which makes sense to me and I no longer have any objections to the term.
In Southern California, we've always referred to "regular" roads as "surface streets" (as distinguished from freeways, which are often elevated above or sunk below grade level).
__________________
“All the universe or nothingness. Which shall it be, Passworthy? Which shall it be?”
Olive, the Other Reindeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1 2013, 09:30 PM   #210
Rķu rķu, chķu
Fleet Admiral
 
Rķu rķu, chķu's Avatar
 
Location: Mr. Laser Beam is in the visitor's bullpen
View Rķu rķu, chķu's Twitter Profile
Re: Things people often say you find amusing...

^ That makes sense. A surface street is one that never leaves the ground level.

@auntiehill: Please don't take this the wrong way, but...well, if it was easy, what would be the point?
__________________
"A hot dog at the ballpark is better than a steak at the Ritz." - Humphrey Bogart
Rķu rķu, chķu is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 08:02 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.