Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Future of Trek

Future of Trek Discussion of future Trek projects.

Old August 14 2013, 05:44 AM   #1
Beyerstein
Captain

Do fans want the prime timeline back?

I'm just mostly wondering since they just rated Star Trek Into Darkness the worst of all the Trek movies at the Vegas con.

And, it also feel somewhat that when they did the '09 reboot, they wanted to to a big coming together of the original crew origin story, but even the writers had no real plans of what to do or where to go after that.
Beyerstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14 2013, 06:26 AM   #2
Dukhat
Commodore

Re: Do fans want the prime timeline back?

Beyerstein wrote: View Post
I'm just mostly wondering since they just rated Star Trek Into Darkness the worst of all the Trek movies at the Vegas con.
Who are Vegas con, and why should I care what they think? And really? The worst Trek movie? Even worse than TFF?

And, it also feel somewhat that when they did the '09 reboot, they wanted to to a big coming together of the original crew origin story, but even the writers had no real plans of what to do or where to go after that.
What? Who feels that way?

And to answer your OP, this fan doesn't care if the prime timeline comes back or not. I just want to see good Star Trek in whatever form it takes.
Old August 14 2013, 07:12 AM   #3
F. King Daniel
Admiral

The 100 fans polled at the Vegas con probably do. The other millions of Trekkies may feel differently - this one certainly does.
Aren't you really saying that you didn't have any idea what they planned next? Take a look at the commentary track for the film, they talk about almost ending with a shot of the Botany Bay floating in space.
Old August 14 2013, 08:34 AM   #4
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

There are always going to be fans of the prime universe who want it back because they were here first and carried the torch for over 40 years, immersing themselves in various aspects of it, buying merchandise, etc. Quite a few grew up with it.

But I think the majority of people don't care what universe Trek is as long as it entertains them. In that capacity, they have no more preference to the Abramsverse than they do to the prime universe and would be totally okay if Trek was all rebooted again in several years.
Old August 14 2013, 08:39 AM   #5
F. King Daniel
Admiral

I forgot to point out that the Prime universe is still there, with new adventures happening every month in the novels.
Old August 14 2013, 08:58 AM   #6
bountifulboxesjeg
Vice Admiral

The reboot was alright but I'd rather them continue with all the unexplored space they had in the Prime timeline. Maybe after the reboot they'll do an Enterprise F run, transwarping about the galaxy.
bountifulboxesjeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14 2013, 10:35 AM   #7
Belz...
Fleet Captain

I sure don't. Move forward, I say.
Old August 14 2013, 10:47 AM   #8
Shaka Zulu
Fleet Captain

To quote The Shat, these fans need to get a life. It's time for the old continuity to go, and the new one to stay. That also means new toys and merch based on the current films, not the old ones, as Admiral Buzzkill was so angry about when posting an article he'd read about the merch and toys not being made for the current one. Star Trek needs new and younger fans to stay alive.
Shaka Zulu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 14 2013, 11:32 AM   #9
anh165
Commander

No 'prime' time line.

Alt timeline is the key to keeping the Trek franchise exciting and appealing.

I waited 20 years for that to happen.
Old August 14 2013, 11:39 AM   #10
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

I have no issues with the new timeline. But it wouldn't matter to me which timeline the stories take place in as long as they're good.
Old August 14 2013, 12:21 PM   #11
LOKAI of CHERON
Commodore

Location: Post-apocalyptic ruins of my once mighty Homeworld.

Returning to the Prime Timeline, at least in a stylistic sense, would almost certainly bury the franchise for a significant period - if not permanently. Pandering to the vocal, but extremely small, "it's not real Star Trek" sector of fandom would be commercial suicide
Old August 14 2013, 12:23 PM   #12
billcosby
Commodore

"The prime timeline called... it wants the fans back." Or something. That's all I got for ya.
Seems to me the primeline is well represented with DJ Nimoyspock dropping rhymes and beats all over the NuBoots. Apples and oranges in my Huxtable opinion.

billcosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14 2013, 12:31 PM   #13
Tosk
Rear Admiral

Honestly, I'm happy to continue visiting the real timeline in the novels. The Trek I really love can't survive on the TV landscape of today. Or the cinema.

So the flashier one can keep pumping along, making money for everyone involved. Every so often we'll get a movie I actually like. Easy.
Tosk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14 2013, 12:32 PM   #14
USS Firefly
Commander

I liked the new time line, the old one is dead after Nemesis ans Enterprise.
New toys are ok but keep the novels of the old timeline going.
USS Firefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14 2013, 03:35 PM   #15
AviTrek
Fleet Captain

C.E. Evans wrote: View Post
There are always going to be fans of the prime universe who want it back because they were here first and carried the torch for over 40 years, immersing themselves in various aspects of it, buying merchandise, etc. Quite a few grew up with it.

But I think the majority of people don't care what universe Trek is as long as it entertains them. In that capacity, they have no more preference to the Abramsverse than they do to the prime universe and would be totally okay if Trek was all rebooted again in several years.
+1

The limited number of fans at a Vegas convention want the prime timeline back. The millions of people required for the franchise to be viable in the future don't care about timelines and just want an entertaining show/movie.
AviTrek is offline   Reply With Quote