TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old September 30 2013, 12:32 PM   #16
GSchnitzer
Co-Executive Producer

Send a message via AIM to GSchnitzer Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to GSchnitzer Send a message via Yahoo to GSchnitzer
Re: How did the children eat?

ZapBrannigan wrote: View Post
I say it was a combination of canned food and a greatly reduced need for calories due to the disease itself, which slowed their metabolisms as drastically as it slowed their aging process.

Here's some content from the Final Draft script of "Miri" by Adrian Spies, dated August 12, 1966:

KIRK
(after a pause)
Now tell me – how long ago did it happen, how long ago did all the grups die?

MIRI
(reluctantly)
Three – hundred – years…the onlies mark down all the hots and colds at a secret place… it’s not much fun…
(quickly, childishly, trying to recover )
But it wasn’t like that!... We just went on – being onlies…

KIRK
I understand.

MIRI
(frantic not to seem old to him)
We just had – foolies…
(getting up, forcing a big grin)
If we were hungry, we just took something… there are lots of mommies and cans.

KIRK
Mommies?

MIRI
Can opener things.
(a beat)
Can opener is a dumb word. We found a kind of fresh word, maybe…
(another beat, a little giggle, also sly)
Mommies… that’s what we call the can openers, mommies…
(to all of them, a smile that is a very sad thing)
You get it?
(they all nod. They get it)
But mostly – mostly it was fun, foolies…
(the smile more frantic)
After all, with no grups to say no, what else would onlies do, anyway?
http://www.startrekphase2.com
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm3348883/
GSchnitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30 2013, 03:32 PM   #17
ZapBrannigan
Fleet Captain

Thanks, Greg. The final episode was very good, but it didn't convey the depth of tragedy in emotional terms the way Adrian Spies apparently envisioned.
ZapBrannigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2 2013, 05:43 AM   #18
FormerLurker
Fleet Captain

I take it that's a deleted scene. It's very similar to a scene in the James Blish adaptation that is one of the differences between the adaptation and the episode as aired. As such it explains a lot, not only about the Onlies' situation, but about the mindset in the '60s and how the studio and the network would have not wanted the audience to be exposed to what is really a very downer element of the children being left alone.
FormerLurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2 2013, 05:56 AM   #19
teacake
Fleet Admiral

Location: Google's ass cave full of the lush, lush asses they have stolen.

What I never understood is how remaining a child physically for years and years means you remain a child mentally. Doesn't years of experience add up over time? Wouldn't you grow in understanding and capability just from practice at taking care of your food needs? Just because you are a child doesn't mean you can't learn how to plant and fish, given time.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2 2013, 12:41 PM   #20
GSchnitzer
Co-Executive Producer

Send a message via AIM to GSchnitzer Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to GSchnitzer Send a message via Yahoo to GSchnitzer

Yes, that scene doesn't appear in the episode as aired. (The Alchemist might be able to tell us if that scene was even shot.) And indeed, this "can openers are called 'mommies'" scene is something from the script that actually made it into James Blish's adaptation of "Miri" in the old Star Trek 1 episode adaptations book.

FormerLurker wrote: View Post
I take it that's a deleted scene. It's very similar to a scene in the James Blish adaptation that is one of the differences between the adaptation and the episode as aired. As such it explains a lot, not only about the Onlies' situation, but about the mindset in the '60s and how the studio and the network would have not wanted the audience to be exposed to what is really a very downer element of the children being left alone.
http://www.startrekphase2.com
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm3348883/
GSchnitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3 2013, 06:55 PM   #21
Anwar
Vice Admiral

teacock wrote: View Post
What I never understood is how remaining a child physically for years and years means you remain a child mentally. Doesn't years of experience add up over time? Wouldn't you grow in understanding and capability just from practice at taking care of your food needs? Just because you are a child doesn't mean you can't learn how to plant and fish, given time.
Given how the virus seems to drive you crazy while it's killing you, perhaps a side-effect was that it kept the children mentally as children and any that began to mature would go crazy instead of maturing?
Anwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3 2013, 07:41 PM   #22
Olive, the Other Reindeer
Vice Admiral

The brain is part of the body. If the children's physical development was arrested, their brain development would have been arrested also. Would you have been capable of learning how to scrounge and forage for food, let alone know how to plant crops, when you were 8, 9 or 10 years old? Maybe if you were born and raised on a farm, but the Onlies all seemed to be city kids.
Old October 4 2013, 09:07 AM   #23
Gov Kodos
Admiral

Hollywood Werewolf wrote: View Post
The brain is part of the body. If the children's physical development was arrested, their brain development would have been arrested also. Would you have been capable of learning how to scrounge and forage for food, let alone know how to plant crops, when you were 8, 9 or 10 years old? Maybe if you were born and raised on a farm, but the Onlies all seemed to be city kids.
But are those changes due to physiological changes in the brain or psychological ones? Or both? A physiological halt caused by the virus would retard the kids development, but if such changes are just psychological teacakes point is worthwhile, why don't they grow different from one another if not what we call adult?
We are quicksilver, a fleeting shadow, a distant sound... our home has no boundaries beyond which we cannot pass. We live in music, in a flash of color... we live on the wind and in the sparkle of a star! Endora, Bewitched
Gov Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4 2013, 04:08 PM   #24
galad2003
Ensign

Canned goods only stay good for a few years. Realistically after about 5-10 years they would still go bad (and that is really pushing them past their shelf life). MRE's, freeze dried food or food placed under nitrogen would last 50-100 years.

They would have to forage and hunt for food to survive which is feasible for the older children. The episode is a good story but in reality those children would have gone through a very traumatic experience and face all kinds of survival hardships such as no electricity, the elements, predators etc. that would not have been palatable to show on TV back then.
galad2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4 2013, 04:24 PM   #25
wissaboo
Captain

View wissaboo's Twitter Profile

I loved that episode as a kid but when I watched it as a grownup after having kids of my own I found it terrifying.
wissaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4 2013, 08:57 PM   #26
Mytran
Fleet Captain

There are examples of canned food going back to WW1 that are still good. And honeyed goods from centuries ago that are still fine!
Mytran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4 2013, 09:21 PM   #27
Ho Ho Homeier
Vice Admiral

wissaboo wrote: View Post
I loved that episode as a kid but when I watched it as a grownup after having kids of my own I found it terrifying.
I first saw it on its original network run when I was 15. I didn't believe Michael J. Pollard as a 12 year old kid even then.
Old October 5 2013, 10:00 AM   #28
SantaSpock
Fleet Captain

View SantaSpock's Twitter Profile

Mytran wrote: View Post
There are examples of canned food going back to WW1 that are still good. And honeyed goods from centuries ago that are still fine!
I'd accept 100 years, 300 years is maybe a bit too far. Still there might be a can here and there that maybe could survive.

Honey can survive indefinitely but can you live on honey?

Can fruit trees survived 300 years untended or maybe little trees just self-seeded?
SantaSpock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5 2013, 09:22 PM   #29
Rayna
Lieutenant Junior Grade

wissaboo wrote: View Post
I agree! In fact, I'm doing a presentation on the episode for a class I'm taking about the horror genre... It's easy to make the argument that this episode crosses into horror as much as it is sci-fi.
Rayna is offline   Reply With Quote