Retro Review: Chrysalis
By: Michelle on Oct 18

The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service

Yelchin In New Indie Thriller

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Old October 3 2013, 03:54 AM   #136
thestrangledcorpse
Vice Admiral

Re: What Are You Wearing?

I wore a great dress today but my blood sugar crashed while I was walking home so I was too grumpy and sweaty to take a picture when I got here.

Which reminds me of a diabetes and fashion related issue: I need to figure out other ways of wearing my insulin pump. I wear it in my bra, which is unnoticeable most of the time, but I'm only a B cup, so the pump sticks out more than my boobs and shows through if i wear a tight shirt. There are thigh garters for pumps that one can buy, I think I might give one of those a try; it'd work under skirts and dresses, and would still be accessible.

Anyone else have issues that sometimes hinder their fashion-related self-expression?

The Enterprise is my TARDIS.
thestrangledcorpse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3 2013, 03:55 AM   #137
George Steinbrenner
Fleet Admiral

View George Steinbrenner's Twitter Profile

thestrangledcorpse wrote: View Post
Anyone else have issues that sometimes hinder their fashion-related self-expression?
Ummm...I have a huge head and I have a hell of a time finding caps that fit.

Kreacher wrote: View Post
Okay, okay! Will do. But not today. I'm just wearing a variation of my going-to-the-gym uniform: loose t-shirt, leggings, and a pink Planet Fitness baseball cap because my hair is dirty. There is no fabulousness in sight.
You had me at "baseball cap".
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
George Steinbrenner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 3 2013, 04:28 AM   #138
Professor McGonagall
Rear Admiral

^ I hate to disappoint you, but the only thing "baseball" about it is the style.

Oh yeah! Not right now, unless you count being overweight.

But for a year after my 2011 surgery, I had a wound vac that I wore in a cross-body bag. I had to wear clothes that allowed the tube to run from the vac to my lower back. Basically, I couldn't tuck a shirt in for a year. The strap caused my clothes to pill, so I mostly wore the same couple tops over and over and over. And I couldn't wear my beaded necklaces because I was afraid the strap would damage them.

And then for three months I had an infusion pump in a similar bag. Same issues as the vac, except this time it was a tube running to my arm.

I hope you're feeling better by now, thefashionablecorpse.
Professor McGonagall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3 2013, 04:36 AM   #139
thestrangledcorpse
Vice Admiral

^Aren't medical devices a joy? Seriously, though, it sounds like you're recovered enough to no longer need them, and that's awesome!

Vain as it may sound, one of my biggest anxieties about starting the pump was about how it would look with my clothes. The infusion site itself is almost unnoticeable: they make special infusion sets for people who are athletic that are really small, unobtrusive, can handle a ton of moving around, and have really short tubing; my tubing is about 1.5 feet, and I can loop it around the pump a couple times and run it to the infusion site on my hip in such a way that it's tight enough not to bulge or snag and loose enough not to tug. The pump itself is the real problem. If I had bigger boobs it'd make hiding it between them a lot easier!

The Enterprise is my TARDIS.
thestrangledcorpse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3 2013, 05:45 AM   #140
antichristhill
Fleet Admiral

Have you tried belting tops and "blousing" them out a bit? A friend of ours uses the pump and she does that often. She also wears a lot of peplum tops, so she can wear the pump closer to her hip.
antichristhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3 2013, 06:38 AM   #141
Professor McGonagall
Rear Admiral

^Aren't medical devices a joy? Seriously, though, it sounds like you're recovered enough to no longer need them, and that's awesome!
Thank you. It is definitely awesome!

If I had bigger boobs it'd make hiding it between them a lot easier!
I'm sure it would.
Professor McGonagall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3 2013, 06:41 AM   #142
teacock
Admiral

Ways to get bigger boobs:

Eat too much.

Get pg.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 3 2013, 07:07 AM   #143
lurok
Commodore

teacock wrote: View Post

Eat too much.
Works for men too.
Old October 3 2013, 07:16 AM   #144
Emher
Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Emher Send a message via Yahoo to Emher

I have pretty much no ass. Which makes some pants an issue or interesting to wear.

Eat too much.

Get pg.
Correct me if I'm wrong but eating too much is just not viable for tsq what with her type 1 diabetes.

And I know this is a specific issue and not really related to body image, but I've said it before: tsq, your boobs are fine.
Old October 3 2013, 07:41 AM   #145
teacock
Admiral

Yes because that was real advice.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 3 2013, 09:01 AM   #146
iguana_tonante
Admiral

Obviously not a medical issue (and I feel kinda silly complaining about it compared to major troubles like illnesses or injuries) but as a man being 5'3" can be a real pain in the ass when you shop for clothes.

I would have much luck browsing into the kid's department, but the presence of Mickey Mouse's face on my suits would seriously cramp my style, I fear.

By the way, today it's khaki shirt, stonewashed blue jeans, and beige sneakers. Kinda blah, but this morning I didn't feel like thinking about it too much. I guess sleeping 4 hours might be related to that. This evening I will probably attend another work-related social event, so I might try something a bit smarter.
Old October 3 2013, 03:57 PM   #147
Emher
Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Emher Send a message via Yahoo to Emher

Yes because that was real advice.
You underestimate my motivation to compliment tsq.
Old October 3 2013, 04:05 PM   #148
ZUUL-iet
Gate Keeper

Send a message via Yahoo to ZUUL-iet

Boob talk aside, today for a change I have a green T shirt with designer logo, dark blue chinos and belt, socks and black boots, green hoodie (a birthday present) and the usual bag. The streets got hit pretty bad.

There is no Zion Ravescene, only Zulu Romeo...
ZUUL-iet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3 2013, 05:33 PM   #149
mari
Captain

I am currently wearing dark gray dress pants, an aqua peasant blouse (the color is like this guy: ), black-and-white striped trouser socks and gray clogs. I didn't bring a jacket today so hopefully the warm weather holds til I get home. New England... very unpredictable... I should know better.
mari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3 2013, 05:47 PM   #150
Emher
Admiral

I just realized I'm actually wearing clothes! I got this shirt on:

http://i.imgur.com/j6cLGy7.jpg

But with some patched and slightly worn jeans. Those shorts in the pic are airy, but damn they are not the best looking thing ever...