Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old February 9 2014, 07:16 PM   #76
RoJoHen
Awesome

Re: Fox Developing "Gotham" Young Jim Gordon Series

Alidar Jarok wrote: View Post

If he's married with children, yes. And I suspect he'll be married eventually, but I'm not sure it's a dramatic necessity for his wife to give birth to a daughter during the series's run.
Nothing says drama better than your pregnant wife being held hostage by the Joker.
Old February 9 2014, 07:37 PM   #77
Agent Richard07
Retired

I mentioned "Batgirl" in quotes because I don't expect to see Barbara in that guise given the show's premise or the age she'd be. I just thought that it would be nice to have the character who would become Batgirl there. She could be a toddler (never liked that word) and therefore a simple nod, or she could be an older child capable of being an early version of the Barbara we know, if they can manage that. She wasn't missed in the movies about Batman but as mentioned, this show focusses on Jim Gordon and I wouldn't want to see her left out completely.
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9 2014, 07:48 PM   #78
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

Ben McKenzie was my hope for Matt Murdock, so I'm slightly disappointed in this. I think he'll do a fine job, I'm just not sold on the series as a whole.
IIRC, the last guy to play Murdock ended up in Gotham too...
Old February 9 2014, 07:52 PM   #79
Agent Richard07
Retired

Jim's son could also be there. He grows up to have a lot of problems due to being jealous of his sister so it might be nice to see at least a little it of that upbringing. With a full series, there's room for that.
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9 2014, 08:29 PM   #80
Christopher
Writer

Out Of My Vulcan Mind wrote: View Post
Kevin Reilly said off the cuff that Bruce would start out at about the age of 12. The casting call listed a couple of months ago actually put the age a little lower at the age of 10, and it was a casting call for a series regular. Of course there could be a change close to production, but it seems that the plan is for Bruce to be a supporting character and his development will be an ongoing substory with Gordon as the primary focus.
And if that is the case, then the claim that the series will end with Bruce becoming Batman becomes questionable, unless they plan to have Batman start out as a teenager. The point is that the two claims -- that Bruce will start out preadolescent and that the series will culminate with Bruce becoming Batman -- are difficult to reconcile. I don't see how they can both be true. So I think we're getting garbled information here, that maybe the different reports represent different phases in the development of the series, and we don't really know at this point what form the series will actually take. So everything we've heard -- except solid information like a casting announcement -- should be taken with a grain of salt.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9 2014, 08:32 PM   #81
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

If he is 10-12 and the series runs for the 7 years or so that many series do, I would've thought it more likely to end with him heading on his travels that culminate in him learning all his skills as Batman. Of course, they could always have a flash forward to Gordon becoming commissioner and Bruce donning the mask.
Old February 9 2014, 08:37 PM   #82
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral

^^^
Shows often set out roadmaps that they want to follow. Whether they can follow through to the planned conclusion depends on achieving the necessary longevity to do so. The stated goals aren't necessarily in conflict. It's just a question of whether they'll be achieved. Kevin Reilly also said that, while the hope is that the young actor playing Bruce Wayne would age to the point where he would become Batman at the end, he wouldn't rule out that they might jump ahead in time at some point.
Old February 9 2014, 08:43 PM   #83
Lord Prancer The 5th
Rear Admiral

Location: Mach5 doesn't like sand. It's coarse and irritating, and it gets everywhere.

How is it that the DC Comics (Warner Bros.) property ended up on Fox?
Old February 9 2014, 08:48 PM   #84
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral

Mach5 wrote: View Post
It's happened before. Human Target aired on Fox. David E. Kelley's unsuccessful Wonder Woman pilot was for NBC, and Constantine has been ordered to pilot for NBC. Warners develops DC properties for the CW if they're appropriate in terms of approach and budget, but they'll go elsewhere if not. Fox is paying a very hefty license fee for Gotham. The show will likely have a budget well beyond those of CW shows.
Old February 9 2014, 08:49 PM   #85
Christopher
Writer

I dunno... I was more interested when it was just a Jim Gordon series, with the Wayne murder case being maybe just a background thread. Of course, then it would've just been a cop show, but that wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing as long as they got Gordon's character right, because he's a good character. The story of the one honest cop cleaning up a corrupt force -- and doing it without Batman -- could've been quite interesting. Now it just feels like "Let's do Smallville but with Batman," like something that started out as a fresh approach has been forced into a more derivative mold, so my curiosity is lessened. I'll give it a fair chance when it premieres, but so far I'm not engaged.

Mach5 wrote: View Post
Because FOX made the highest bid, presumably. It's in the best interests of a TV studio to offer its shows to multiple networks and see who makes the highest offer. If they were required to air the show on the network owned by the same conglomerate as themselves, that could keep them from getting the best possible deal and the best possible budget. So while there are benefits to the studio and the network being under common ownership and being able to take advantage of that corporate synergy, it's certainly not mandatory, nor should it ever be.

Old February 9 2014, 09:13 PM   #86
JD
Admiral

As for the whole Barbara debate, I wouldn't be surprised if we did see Gordon with a young daughter named Barbara, but I doubt very much we will see her as Batgirl.
Old February 9 2014, 10:10 PM   #87
Lord Prancer The 5th
Rear Admiral

Location: Mach5 doesn't like sand. It's coarse and irritating, and it gets everywhere.

JD wrote: View Post
As for the whole Barbara debate, I wouldn't be surprised if we did see Gordon with a young daughter named Barbara, but I doubt very much we will see her as Batgirl.
Of course we will, she'll be introduced in Season 16 finale
Old February 9 2014, 10:22 PM   #88
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

Christopher wrote: View Post
Out Of My Vulcan Mind wrote: View Post
Kevin Reilly said off the cuff that Bruce would start out at about the age of 12. The casting call listed a couple of months ago actually put the age a little lower at the age of 10, and it was a casting call for a series regular. Of course there could be a change close to production, but it seems that the plan is for Bruce to be a supporting character and his development will be an ongoing substory with Gordon as the primary focus.
And if that is the case, then the claim that the series will end with Bruce becoming Batman becomes questionable, unless they plan to have Batman start out as a teenager. The point is that the two claims -- that Bruce will start out preadolescent and that the series will culminate with Bruce becoming Batman -- are difficult to reconcile. I don't see how they can both be true. So I think we're getting garbled information here, that maybe the different reports represent different phases in the development of the series, and we don't really know at this point what form the series will actually take. So everything we've heard -- except solid information like a casting announcement -- should be taken with a grain of salt.
It's only hard to reconcile if you think one season will equal one year.
Old February 9 2014, 10:49 PM   #89
Christopher
Writer

It's only hard to reconcile if you think one season will equal one year.
True, but most TV series these days seem obsessed with keeping everything in real time. They even put gaps in the storyline to correspond to midseason breaks or summer hiatuses. So while one season = one year is indeed an assumption, it's one that has an enormous amount of precedent.

Old February 9 2014, 11:05 PM   #90
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

But it's also one that gets broken if they need someone to get older quickly (HBO's Rome), reach a certain date quickly (Enterprise broke the one year rule starting in the third season), or just because it made sense for the story (LOST). My point is Bruce Wayne's age at the start of the show is hardly a roadblock.