RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 147,101
Members: 26,071
Currently online: 439
Newest member: BatesMcFadden

TrekToday headlines

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy All your nerd stuff goes here.

Old August 4 2014, 03:40 AM   #391
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

Re: Fox Developing "Gotham" Young Jim Gordon Series

Enterprise is Great wrote: View Post
Short for Salmon Maroni, of course, in cahoots with Fish Mooney.
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6 2014, 06:25 PM   #392
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

Apparently channel 5 have it for the UK, which I think is good news. BBC and channel 4 will either butcher it and stick it on in early evening to appeal to teens or else shove it all over the timetables, usually at random ungodly hours, testing your sky plus to the limits. Channel 5 at least tends to make its US imports something of a flagship for the channel.
Old August 6 2014, 09:28 PM   #393
Dimesdan
Rear Admiral

Location: The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Dimesdan

Captaindemotion wrote: View Post
Apparently channel 5 have it for the UK, which I think is good news. BBC and channel 4 will either butcher it and stick it on in early evening to appeal to teens or else shove it all over the timetables, usually at random ungodly hours, testing your sky plus to the limits. Channel 5 at least tends to make its US imports something of a flagship for the channel.
I can't remember the last time BBC had a major American import, as for Channel Four, I assume you didn't watch Fargo?

I'm on twitter now. @DimesDaniel
Dimesdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6 2014, 09:45 PM   #394
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

^ Um *blushes* I did watch it (slaps self). But I was thinking more of how they treated the likes of Angel (editing) or the West Wing, Hostages, Studio 60 and even The Sopranos, all of which aired at late and irregular times. Fargo (which was brilliant) is probably more of a good Ch4 fit than most US imports.

The BBC went down the late-night and irregular route with Damages, which was the last American import I watched devoutly there.

Channel 4 admittedly airs Agents of Shield but it's a little more PG than I expect Gotham to be; I suspect that Gotham won't really be suitable for a Sunday afternoon repeat, for example.
Old August 7 2014, 09:06 AM   #395
Dimesdan
Rear Admiral

Location: The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Dimesdan

Captaindemotion wrote: View Post
^ Um *blushes* I did watch it (slaps self). But I was thinking more of how they treated the likes of Angel (editing) or the West Wing, Hostages, Studio 60 and even The Sopranos, all of which aired at late and irregular times. Fargo (which was brilliant) is probably more of a good Ch4 fit than most US imports.

The BBC went down the late-night and irregular route with Damages, which was the last American import I watched devoutly there.

Channel 4 admittedly airs Agents of Shield but it's a little more PG than I expect Gotham to be; I suspect that Gotham won't really be suitable for a Sunday afternoon repeat, for example.
Fair enough, I didn't really watch SHIELD, only caught a few early episodes on C4 then the finale on RTE a couple of months ago.

As for Fargo, it was on at the same time every week, it even pushed back what was on after so they wouldn't edit the episodes down and even though that Lexus advert/sponsorship indent we had here was annoying as hell, they seemed to put the adverts in where they were meant to go.

I think it's down to the different controllers as to how they treat any programmes. (Obviously) Whether they're homegrown or imported but it's been a while since the examples you've cited (especially Angel!) and their have been a few regime changes both at the BBC and Channel Four since. - I remember when BBC2 was the place for Sci Fi at 6'oclock, starting with Next Gen in the late eighties and then finishing with Farscape, Buffy and Voyager a decade or so later.

I'm surprised Sky Atlantic didn't get this though.

I'm on twitter now. @DimesDaniel
Dimesdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7 2014, 09:24 AM   #396
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

^Yeah, I was thinking that about Sky Atlantic, or at least one of the satellite channels myself. But SA tend to go for the HBO/AMC type shows, as oppose to the network type programmes (which I think Gotham is).

Basically as long as it gets aired unedited somewhere accessible, I'm happy enough!