Orci Drops Rangers Project
By: T'Bonz on Sep 22

Retro Review: Image in the Sand
By: Michelle on Sep 20

Star Trek: Shadows Of Tyranny Casting Call
By: T'Bonz on Sep 19

USS Vengeance And More Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Sep 19

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old December 30 2013, 05:15 PM   #76
Savage Dragon
TheSeeker

Re: Person of Interest Season 3

Immolatus wrote: View Post
I think Root is in contact with Samaritan.
Interesting theory.
Savage Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1 2014, 06:00 AM   #77
Keith1701
Rear Admiral

Bob Morton wrote: View Post

With the Machine on the move, Root and Shaw added to the cast, I'm really looking forward to the new stories.

Tonight at 10pm!
Never watched this show , but I will one day
Keith1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2 2014, 04:50 PM   #78
blueziggy
Lieutenant

watched this show since its inception. absolutely love it, especially the AI portions of it. trying to get my fiance into it, so just started watching from the beginning again. only 4 episodes in but caught something i didnt before. Reese's gf is on one of the computer screens in the flashback when Finch is talking to his partner about the irrelevant list. love shows that do have subtle clues as to the future.
blueziggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8 2014, 02:00 PM   #79
Bob Morton
Lieutenant Commander

With the developments in the last two (and specifically the most recent) episodes, this show has undeniably moved into SF&F territory.

This episode was rather unsettling. Again. Roots comment about handing a five year old the keys to a jet airplane really illustrated what would happen if any one of these groups were to acquire access to the Machine or an equivalent. I picture scenes from Dollhouse's Epitaph episodes. Now that Decima has the Samaritan tapes, I imagine we'll be working towards their plot as the season continues.

The Machine itself is getting very creepy; from speaking, through Root, about protection and it's act of saving us to it's compassionate and emotional presentation of Arthur's life. I'm not sure I like the idea of becoming this things pet.

The last five episodes have been some excellent television.
Old January 9 2014, 11:56 PM   #80
auntiehill
Fleet Admiral

^They have, indeed. I'm enjoying this show far more than I ever thought I would.
auntiehill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 10 2014, 12:41 AM   #81
Yanks
Fleet Captain

Immolatus wrote: View Post
I think Root is in contact with Samaritan.
propita wrote: View Post
Is Root Samaritan?
I personally don't think so.

But I guess it is a possibility.

Listening to Finch's bud (from WH13 ) I don't think his worked.

But it will be interesting to see if we end up with dueling programs.
Old January 10 2014, 01:08 AM   #82
auntiehill
Fleet Admiral

^So they will try to turn Samaritan into The Machine's evil twin. That should be interesting.
Old January 10 2014, 01:44 AM   #83
propita
Rear Admiral

auntiehill wrote: View Post
^So they will try to turn Samaritan into The Machine's evil twin. That should be interesting.
Its sounding like that, isnt it.

But I think were all missing THE most important question here...

WHERE THE HELL IS BEAR???????
propita is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 17 2014, 09:23 AM   #84
Aragorn
Admiral

There's a surprising lack of interest on this board regarding this show. Do most people think it's just another CBS show that fits in between NCIS and CSI?

Well Reese got to be a front-and-center badass again and now the team is back together, minus Root. But now we have to wait until February for the next new episode.
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17 2014, 11:30 AM   #85
Bob Morton
Lieutenant Commander

^I've always wondered why there's a lack of discussion for this show. I figured in the beginning is was the episodic nature of the show. This season the serialization has really kicked up, yet the posts remain about the same. Maybe next season we can put it in the SF&F forum and see if there's more active interest.

The most recent episodes have me fearing the Machine itself may become the enemy in the future. It's definitely becoming more bold in it's interactions with the world; speaking more or less directly to Control about how it guards, protects and wants to save us, how it sees Reese and the team as it's assets, and manipulating reality in real-time to get Reese on the required plane. You have to wonder what other actions it's taking to achieve it's own goals. I also wonder about how the Machine will react when a new member of it's own kind (Samaritan) starts to invade.

Interesting stuff coming up to be sure.
Bob Morton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18 2014, 02:02 AM   #86
auntiehill
Fleet Admiral

I have a great deal of interest in this show, but I've fallen behind in my viewing. I didn't want to check in until I'd watched this week's episode.
Old January 18 2014, 02:24 AM   #87
Agent Richard07
Admiral

^ It's a really good one.

Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18 2014, 06:07 AM   #88
auntiehill
Fleet Admiral

OK, just finished it. That WAS a good episode. One question, though. I don't know much about planes but don't the brakes have to be applied manually?
Old January 18 2014, 11:52 AM   #89
Locutus of Bored
A Certain Point of View

^ Yes and no. They have auto-landing/braking systems, but it's more complex then just pushing a button and sitting back while the plane lands itself.

You continue the descent into Tampa and when the temperature goes above freezing, all the ice flies off the plane. Because of the constant turning by your pilots who are working very hard and monitoring the weather radar, you stay out of the storms and hit no turbulence. However, because of the storms passing thru, Tampa airport is now completely fogged in. Uh oh, no way to land now, right? Wrong. In steps your pilots to configure the "autoland" system. Now, this isn't a system where your pilots push a big "LAND" button, sit back and fall asleep and wake up and say "oh look, we're on the ground". First, it requires the plane and the airport to be equipped with the right systems to support an autoland approach. Your pilots even require special training and certification to be able to fly an autoland approach. Imagine that - extra training for something that everyone thinks requires less pilot skill! Autoland requires careful inputs by the pilots to get the plane to maneuver itself right onto the runway where the "autobrakes" kick in. Depending on the surface conditions and length of the runway, your pilot configures the autobrakes to stop the plane with a certain amount of force. Again - not something the plane will figure out by itself especially since pilots rely on other pilots who have landed before them to give a detailed description of the conditions on the runway.

http://flyingforeveryone.blogspot.co...ot-really.html
Bob Morton wrote: View Post
The most recent episodes have me fearing the Machine itself may become the enemy in the future. It's definitely becoming more bold in it's interactions with the world; speaking more or less directly to Control about how it guards, protects and wants to save us, how it sees Reese and the team as it's assets, and manipulating reality in real-time to get Reese on the required plane. You have to wonder what other actions it's taking to achieve it's own goals. I also wonder about how the Machine will react when a new member of it's own kind (Samaritan) starts to invade.
I was saying in another thread how the interaction between The Machine (through Root) and Control gave off a serious Asimov-ian Three Laws vibe, and how the stories became about the robots finding new ways to interpret the Three Laws to "save humanity from itself" in their view. The Machine is certainly taking on a parental (maternal in Root's view) air when dealing with humans, and Root sees it as nothing less than a new God of a sort. Hopefully Finch will be able to convince it to curb its more forceful instincts before it gets so far out of hand that it must be destroyed. It's already to the point of forcing Reese to do its bidding and letting Root repeatedly suffer for the "greater good," which are troubling signs.
The lone and level sands stretch far away.
Locutus of Bored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18 2014, 04:07 PM   #90
Caretaker
Commodore

View Caretaker's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Caretaker Send a message via AIM to Caretaker

One of my oldest friends wrote an article about the show and current real life events for The New Yorker website.

Caretaker is offline   Reply With Quote