Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy

Trek Retro Watches

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old November 6 2013, 03:14 AM   #1396
Agent Richard07
Admiral

Re: Agents of SHIELD. Season 1 Discussion Thread

Mr Light wrote: View Post
I actually thought they were going to kill the girl. Joss tends to off a major character in the first few episodes of a new show. I would have been sad to have seen her go, though! But it would have given the surviving character a personal tragedy to deal with, and bonded the team together, and then you could have introduced a new character as an outsider.
They'd never do that. Then we'd have to start calling Fitzsimmons "Fitz".

Actually, the thought crossed my mind too but this doesn't strike me as the kind of show to make dramatic changes like that. At least not in episode 6.
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6 2013, 03:17 AM   #1397
The Old Mixer
Vice Admiral

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
I'm beginning to think more and more there's no mystery or anything great that happened to Coulson. I think it really is as simple as that he died and was [somehow] revived. Whether that revival was Earth technology, Asgardian or otherwise remains to be seen. But I'm no longer thinking LMD, clone or anything along those lines. His death was just, well, simply retconed.
"He can never know." There's something bigger than a garden variety resuscitation going on.
Old November 6 2013, 03:18 AM   #1398
Agent Richard07
Admiral

I'm beginning to think more and more there's no mystery or anything great that happened to Coulson. I think it really is as simple as that he died and was [somehow] revived. Whether that revival was Earth technology, Asgardian or otherwise remains to be seen. But I'm no longer thinking LMD, clone or anything along those lines. His death was just, well, simply retconed.

Again, a good episode. Really enjoyed and think the series is really growing and getting better.
Yeah, sounded like they were describing a near-death experience. Coming back cooler is even a side effect. Now how he came back remains to be seen.
Old November 6 2013, 03:22 AM   #1399
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

"He can never know." There's something bigger than a garden variety resuscitation going on.
Well then there's the method of *how* he was resurrected. Which may be Asgardian resurrection chamber or some other Marvel entity or system. But I think at the base of it all, we're talking simple "brought back to life" rather than anything more sinister.
Old November 6 2013, 03:24 AM   #1400
Duncan MacLeod
Fleet Captain

Icemizer wrote: View Post
Parachute? Did we all not see the flying car sitting on the ramp! Lame.
Eh, maybe it doesn't work at great altitude? Anyway, very good episode. Liked it a lot.
Or maybe Ward does not know how to fly it.
Duncan MacLeod is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 6 2013, 03:24 AM   #1401
Agent Richard07
Admiral

Or maybe they didn't have the keys.
Old November 6 2013, 03:26 AM   #1402
Agent Richard07
Admiral

Can Lola fly? Or is it just a hover car?
Old November 6 2013, 03:31 AM   #1403
The Old Mixer
Vice Admiral

Coulson flew it to the airstrip faster than they could drive there between the first two episodes.

Which reminds me of how Coulson was talking to May the other week about possibly taking up flying. Granted, I'm sure a plane and a flying car handle differently, but he does already have some flying experience.
Old November 6 2013, 03:34 AM   #1404
Christopher
Writer

Wow, this was really good. Our first Fitz/Simmons focus -- mainly Simmons -- and a good Coulson episode dealing with what he went through. The scene with Coulson and the doomed firefighter was very powerful, and the stuff with Jemma when everyone thought she was going to die was strong too. And wow, that act-break cliffhanger... or hatch-faller-out-of... shocking. Plus the skydiving scene was really cool. Oh, and the music was really good too.

And I think we can safely rule out the Life Model Decoy theory for Coulson. With a few exceptions, LMDs are robotic and can't pass as human on a medical exam. Now we know that Coulson has normal human vitals, he has blood, and he has scars.

What if we've been misled? What if Coulson really did survive exactly the way he said -- by getting medical treatment in the nick of time -- and the secret that "he can never know" is about something else, something that happened during his recuperation? Maybe he witnessed something so traumatic, or caused something so awful to happen, that he had to have his memory of it erased.

Icemizer wrote: View Post
Parachute? Did we all not see the flying car sitting on the ramp! Lame.
A car is much heavier than a parachute and thus would take more time to accelerate off the ramp, not to mention the time to warm up its flying engines. Not to mention that its larger cross-section would create more drag and make it harder to catch up with Simmons (which was implausible enough as it was given Simmons's headstart and the fact that she wasn't trying to slow her descent). The parachute was undoubtedly the better option there.

Agent Richard07 wrote: View Post
- Lots of sudden camaraderie that we've never seen before. I liked it. You could see Whedon's fingerprints all over it.
Or Jeffrey Bell's?

- Typhoid Mary was mentioned.
I didn't catch that. And from context, was it a reference to the Marvel Comics character of that name, the fighter and pyrokinetic, or to the real-life historical figure of that name, the plague carrier?

- Fitzsimmons is an odd little entity. You'd think that they're an item but the male half is interested in Skye who knows this but deflects his advances. So what are they? Psychically linked after all? Just really good friends?
They're colleagues, fellow scientists. It's a close relationship, but it's a work relationship, a professional partnership.

Mr Light wrote: View Post
I actually thought they were going to kill the girl. Joss tends to off a major character in the first few episodes of a new show.
That happened with Buffy in the pilot and in Angel somewhat later (and reluctantly in that case), but it did not happen with any of the main characters in Firefly and Dollhouse. So of Whedon's four previous TV series, it only happened in the first two, and happened differently each time. I don't think that really qualifies as a tendency.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 6 2013, 03:40 AM   #1405
The Old Mixer
Vice Admiral

Christopher wrote: View Post
I didn't catch that. And from context, was it a reference to the Marvel Comics character of that name, the fighter and pyrokinetic, or to the real-life historical figure of that name, the plague carrier?
The latter. Fitz or Simmons said that the alien was a carrier, like Typhoid Mary. Sorry folks, not a Marvel reference.

Speaking of, I nominate the "Iron Man" joke as the lamest MCU reference to date.
Old November 6 2013, 03:41 AM   #1406
Agent Richard07
Admiral

^ Given that this is a Marvel TV show, my first thought was that she was referencing the comic book character. I thought... Does S.H.I.E.L.D. have a file on the character from Elektra? Or is she simply a comic book character in this universe? But now that you mention it, it sounds like the historical figure.
Old November 6 2013, 03:47 AM   #1407
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

The Old Mixer wrote: View Post
Christopher wrote: View Post
The latter. Fitz or Simmons said that the alien was a carrier, like Typhoid Mary. Sorry folks, not a Marvel reference.

Speaking of, I nominate the "Iron Man" joke as the lamest MCU reference to date.
I liked May's response, though (the joke wasn't supposed to be funny, it was supposed to be deadpan and a dad joke more than anything else).

I agree that it's the historic Typhoid Mary being referenced. Interestingly enough, if there was a killer instead of a disease, it arguably fits the powers of Typhoid Mary, but I would be surprised if they even caught the reference themselves here.
Old November 6 2013, 03:50 AM   #1408
Christopher
Writer

I was initially wondering if it would be Zzaxx. Well, my first thought was Electro, but then I remembered he's a Spider-Man villain (indeed, I used him in my Spidey novel, so I'd better remember that), so they couldn't use him.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 6 2013, 03:58 AM   #1409
CorporalCaptain
Vice Admiral

I think this was the best episode yet.
Old November 6 2013, 04:11 AM   #1410
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

They need to hire this writer again. More characterization in this one than the previous five.
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote