TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old October 31 2013, 12:05 AM   #1321
Christopher
Writer

Re: Agents of SHIELD. Season 1 Discussion Thread

What I'm saying is that I've learned not to bail out too quickly. If a show doesn't improve, I'll lose interest, but I've seen enough shows start out weak due to network pressures and then get better -- and I've seen enough good shows die because audiences gave up on them too quickly -- that I'm willing to be more patient. There certainly are shows that lose me right off the bat; Cult bored me so much that I didn't even watch the second episode, even though its female lead was devastatingly gorgeous, and the recent Ironside remake lost me in its first minute. But if I see potential in a show, I'm willing to give it the benefit of the doubt.

Where this show is concerned, I see hints that there's a potentially interesting arc building, and that there will be some worthwhile questions raised and ethical gray areas explored. Given all that ABC has invested in this show, the producers may be having to keep the early episodes nice and safe and uncontroversial to appease the executives, but hopefully they'll manage to push the boundaries further as the show goes on. I do hope that happens soon, though.

The Dead Mixer wrote: View Post
What's with the name "Chloe Bennet" anyway? Sounds like some kind of Smallville/Heroes fusion.
Her birth name is Chloe Wang. Chloe seems to be a very popular name in this generation, both for real people and fictional characters.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31 2013, 12:05 AM   #1322
Harbinger
Lieutenant Commander

The Dead Mixer wrote: View Post
What's with the name "Chloe Bennet" anyway? Sounds like some kind of Smallville/Heroes fusion. Let's see...her character's already a hacker chick, will we find out she can regenerate, too?
If all the fan conspiracy theories turn out to be true, well....
Harbinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31 2013, 10:19 AM   #1323
RJDonner&Blitzen
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion

Hopefully the audience will stabilize at a point where the show can survive without major changes, because I like it fine the way it is. I don't need any arcs or other gimmicks. It's a good show with good characters and good stories and a refreshingly upbeat attitude.
Old October 31 2013, 10:47 AM   #1324
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Just bring on the will they, won't they love story!

Sam and Diane it already!!!

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 31 2013, 10:55 AM   #1325
lurok
Commodore

Wow. This thread suddenly got dispiriting .
Old October 31 2013, 11:01 AM   #1326
Relayer1
Rear Admiral

RJDemonicus wrote: View Post
Hopefully the audience will stabilize at a point where the show can survive without major changes, because I like it fine the way it is. I don't need any arcs or other gimmicks. It's a good show with good characters and good stories and a refreshingly upbeat attitude.
I'm glad you like it - I really want to like it too (hence I am still watching), but I find most of the cast pretty uninvolving or just plain poor, and the plotting is no better.

I really want it to work, but for me (and as the ratings show, many others) it doesn't...
Old October 31 2013, 02:19 PM   #1327
Christopher
Writer

Yeah, it has elements I like, but it could definitely use some deepening. I want to get to know May better. I want Fitz & Simmons to get some development. I want the mysteries and ethical questions hinted at so far to be embraced more fully. I'm willing to trust at this point that those things will happen, but I'd like it to happen faster.

Old October 31 2013, 03:34 PM   #1328
Reverend
Rear Admiral

I'm sticking with it for now. Yes, it didn't start off all that strong but there's been some gradual improvements all round. In a way it's refreshing to see a mostly up-beat genre show. It feels like since SG-1 went off the air everything's been so obsessed with being dark, gritty and "realistic" that they've lost something. Call it heart, for lack of a better term.

Don't get me wrong, I like me some grim-dark-grittyness, but it's nice to get some occasional cheese too. Variety, you know?
Reverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31 2013, 07:34 PM   #1329
Owain Taggart
Rear Admiral

Christopher wrote: View Post
Yeah, it has elements I like, but it could definitely use some deepening. I want to get to know May better. I want Fitz & Simmons to get some development. I want the mysteries and ethical questions hinted at so far to be embraced more fully. I'm willing to trust at this point that those things will happen, but I'd like it to happen faster.

Those are pretty much my feelings, Christopher. There's definitely potential there waiting to be unlocked and I'm willing to wait for them.

But I'm surprised that last night's episode was already a repeat of the pilot.
Owain Taggart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31 2013, 07:43 PM   #1330
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

Then again, if they had given up the show, they probably would have aired a different show there instead of a repeat. I'm not sure what a repeat means (my guess would be either faith that a repeat would do better than something else or a hope to give people who missed it a chance to watch it and start following the show), but I don't think it's entirely bad.
Old October 31 2013, 09:45 PM   #1331
Christopher
Writer

^A number of shows are in reruns right now, including Sleepy Hollow. It's a general TV-scheduling thing, maybe because of Halloween week or the World Series or something, and thus it isn't a reflection on the performance of any single show.

Old October 31 2013, 09:45 PM   #1332
Photoman15
Fleet Captain

You don't waste new episodes against the World Series.
Simple as that.
Old October 31 2013, 10:04 PM   #1333
Samurai8472
Vice Admiral

Right it's a mandatory break because if they aired a new episode chances are it wouldn't survive the timeslot
Samurai8472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31 2013, 10:06 PM   #1334
sojourner
Admiral

Though I think it's funny that Sleepy Hollow didn't air on the week of Halloween. Great way not to take advantage.
Old October 31 2013, 10:07 PM   #1335
Turtletrekker
Vice Admiral

^ Yeah, and next week's episode of AoS (at least judging by the preview) seems to have a scary Halloween-esqe feel to it as well.