Retro Review: Profit and Lace
By: Michelle on Aug 16

Eve Engaged
By: T'Bonz on Aug 15

Shatner’s Get A Life DVD Debuts
By: T'Bonz on Aug 14

TV Alert: Takei Oprah Appearance
By: T'Bonz on Aug 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old October 29 2013, 10:25 PM   #1291
Agent Richard07
Admiral

Re: Agents of SHIELD. Season 1 Discussion Thread

I recently watched The Shield and I've never seen so many "real people" on a TV show before. It was pretty refreshing.
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30 2013, 12:13 AM   #1292
The Old Mixer
Vice Admiral

I don't think that most of the actors are too attractive for the roles they're playing...the only one that really stretches the suspension of disbelief is Skye. They really should have at least nerded her up for the pilot, then given her a SHIELD makeover.

I'm with Christopher on the casting of Ming-Na Wen. Sure, she has sexually appealing qualities...but they chose to express those qualities through a more mature actress, which is refreshing in an increasingly youth-obsessed industry.
Old October 30 2013, 04:36 AM   #1293
Venardhi
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Venardhi Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Venardhi

FPAlpha wrote: View Post
It's also one of my main gripes initially of the show how ridiculously attractive some of them are, especially hacker girl who looked like she jumped off a catwalk to do some hacking in her van.
It is the hair and makeup that strains belief, not how nicely shaped her face and various curvy assets are. Skye probably doesn't spend 2 hours a day doing her hair and makeup in a 24 Hr Fitness bathroom around the corner from her van before settling in for some hacking, but her face being naturally attractive doesn't take any time out of her day or require any particular upkeep.
"There is no reason why good cannot triumph as often as evil. The triumph of anything is a matter of organization. If there are such things as angels, I hope that they are organized along the lines of the Maffia." - Winston Niles Rumfoord.
Venardhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30 2013, 05:02 AM   #1294
Gryffindorian
Vice Admiral

Chloe Bennett is very pretty, and the cast members are all attractive in their own right. BUT I don't find beauty or physical appearance to be a distracting quality. Maybe I just don't care. I think Brett Dalton is hot, but even if he was played by another actor, my perception of his character, Agent Ward, would still be the same.
Old October 30 2013, 05:16 AM   #1295
JD
Admiral

stj wrote: View Post
Yes, Nerdette is supposed to be a fool. The real purpose of the scene of course is to emphasize that Skye was cheating on her SO, Squarejaw. (Yes, I know it's supposed to be Supervising Officer, but that's actually Coulson, so skip the pretend, pleace.) Since the SO relationship hasn't been consummated yet, Skye can be forgiven, after requisite humiliation and begging on her part. I've only seen some Firefly, Dollhouse and Dr. Horrible, so I've never seen the slightest reason to think Whedon is a feminist.
Oh you might try his complete works.

Buffy.. title character is a teenage girl gifted with more or less superpowers to fight evil (and all other females on the show have some awesome talent in one way or the other)

Firefly.. gifted girl gets abducted, experimented on and occasionally kicks tremendous ass (in the Firefly movie she is shown to clear an entire room full off insane psychopaths)

Dollhouse.. main female character kicks all kinds of ass

Whedon is known for his strong female cast.. you won't find much "damsel in distress" type characters in his shows unless they need to be rescued by another woman

However be very afraid if you start to root for a couple that's become a fan favorite and took forever to get together.. i shudder to think what would happen to either Kaylee or Simon in Firefly if the show would have gotten a normal run

Venardhi wrote: View Post
I don't think the problem is so much that they're all especially good looking (they are, with the exception perhaps of Clark Gregg who is intentionally average looking), but that they're all running around with perfect hair and makeup. I can only assume it is an intentional stylistic choice to enhance that live-action comic book feel. It is occasionally distracting, but only just.
No... that's mainstream TV production targeted at a younger audience nowadays. It's the result of extensive marketing research and studio meddling which says you can't have young average looking people on the show because you might get people bored or become uninterested (never mind that Hiro from Heroes was anything but attractive but was a fan favorite because of the actor and the character he played, just one example).

Why they seem to think so is beyond me.. i just recently watched part of the pilot of "The Tomorrow People" and it was especially noticeable there.. nobody of the main people i saw for about 20 minutes of the episode would be called even mediocre looking.. all hunks and pretty girls, every last one of them. I turned off the episode.

It's also one of my main gripes initially of the show how ridiculously attractive some of them are, especially hacker girl who looked like she jumped off a catwalk to do some hacking in her van.
Whatever you do, don't watch The Vampire Diaries or The Originals.
I've never really had a problem with shows like this have an overly attractive cast, that's just the way they do things in Hollywood. I guess I just don't expect kinds of shows to necessarily represent reality.
Old October 30 2013, 05:19 AM   #1296
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

I'm trying to remember a comedy where they recruited spies from a modelling school and not the other way around because Models are even more emotionally vacant than serial killers... Zoolander?

Young Barbara Feldon is still the most beautiful woman in the world, these girls don't hold a candle.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30 2013, 09:43 AM   #1297
RJDiogenes
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion

Gaith wrote: View Post
I was also a bit unclear as to why she was in danger once she got aboard the plane. Surely their holding room at a minimum (where Coulson questioned her) is/can be completely impervious to outside wireless signals? So they could have conducted the operation in there, with no time limit pressure.

Still, nitpicks are nitpicks.
I think they said something about a dead-man switch. If the signal was cut off, she would automatically die.
Old October 30 2013, 03:30 PM   #1298
Gaith
Rear Admiral

^ Hm. Guess that makes sense.

I was also a bit surprised to hear Manning and Snowden name-dropped, what with IM3 using a fictional White House Administration and all. Too bad the Rising Tide never tapped the VP's communications!
Gaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30 2013, 05:39 PM   #1299
Lonemagpie
Writer

The Dead Mixer wrote: View Post
I'm with Christopher on the casting of Ming-Na Wen. Sure, she has sexually appealing qualities...but they chose to express those qualities through a more mature actress, which is refreshing in an increasingly youth-obsessed industry.
That's what I like about it.

That said, I'd put it on about a par with BBC's Atlantis, as moving wallpaper- the characters just don't *grab*.

Anyway, its audience has halved over six episodes, so I'm assuming it's basically fucked and won't be back for a second season...

Blog- http://lonemagpie.livejournal.com
Lonemagpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30 2013, 05:49 PM   #1300
Relayer1
Commodore

Lonemagpie wrote: View Post
Anyway, its audience has halved over six episodes, so I'm assuming it's basically fucked and won't be back for a second season...
If they're going to make some major changes and turn it around they don't have very long. How much of season one has already been filmed ?

If there is any time for rewrites, the only regular cast members I'd keep are Ming-Na and Clark Gregg.
Old October 30 2013, 05:55 PM   #1301
Admiral2
Vice Admiral

Shazam! wrote: View Post
Avada Kedavra wrote: View Post
The cast is somewhat diverse, but it could be more diverse. Maybe they'll add a token black, Hispanic, or LGBT character in Season 2.
Or a blonde
God no! That would wreck it for me. It's nice to enjoy a blond-free show.

-Tom Clancy
Admiral2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30 2013, 05:55 PM   #1302
FPAlpha
Rear Admiral

JD wrote: View Post
Don't worry.. i don't. I'd just like to be pleasantly surprised once in a while by mainstream shows to take a risk and not cast hot, sexy young people but normal looking people (heck.. way back in Buffy about the only really attractive people were Gellar, Boreanaz and Carpenter, the rest were pretty much average looking people which i find preferable when it comes to heroes).

Guy Gardener wrote: View Post
I'm trying to remember a comedy where they recruited spies from a modelling school and not the other way around because Models are even more emotionally vacant than serial killers... Zoolander?
Yep, that was Zoolander. A movie so bad that it's actually good again.. i love it and friends and me occasionally quote the movie or give each other "The Look"
FPAlpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30 2013, 06:28 PM   #1303
Harbinger
Lieutenant Commander

JD wrote: View Post
I've never really had a problem with shows like this have an overly attractive cast, that's just the way they do things in Hollywood. I guess I just don't expect kinds of shows to necessarily represent reality.
Well, Vampire Diaries is on the CW whose known for these kinds of shows which is why so many people are not-so-jokingly comparing SHIELD to a CW show.
Harbinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30 2013, 06:33 PM   #1304
Christopher
Writer

Relayer1 wrote: View Post
If they're going to make some major changes and turn it around they don't have very long. How much of season one has already been filmed ?
At this point, probably most of it.

But I find it's best not to assume that the first half-dozen episodes represent the creators' true intentions for a series. I've just managed to get the DVD set of the 2007 Flash Gordon series, which has a reputation as a terrible show, but is actually a mostly excellent show that just had a bad beginning and drove most of its viewers away before it got good. The problem there was that the networks' conventional wisdom was that audiences only responded to Earthbound shows, so the early focus was mostly on Earth instead of Mongo where it belonged; but about 1/3 of the way through the season they shifted the focus increasingly to Mongo and it just got so much better and richer and had wonderful worldbuilding and compelling intrigue and moments of utter brilliance, and it felt like this was what the producers had wanted to do all along but had been pushed to avoid doing in the early episodes.

The problem is, network suits have their own narrow preconceptions about what works in a show, so showrunners often have to appease the suits to get a show sold, compromising what they want to do and instead making the early episodes conform to the kind of standard, formulaic mold that makes the suits comfortable. And then, over time, they gradually sneak in more of the real meat of the show and let it assert its true character at last. See also Dollhouse -- the first few episodes were in the vein of a standard case-of-the-week show, but as it went on, that gave way to a more intricate and serialized arc. Although by that point, many viewers had already decided that the show was too episodic to be interesting and had given up. The same goes for CBS's Threshold, another show that was decried for its dull, episodic early episodes even though it soon unfolded a really deep and intricate arc after most viewers had already given up on it. For whatever reason, the network suits can't figure out that their narrow expectations about what makes a show work actually hurt the popularity of a lot of shows, particularly genre shows, which suffer even more from the pressure to conform than a police procedural or medical drama would.

So I've learned that it's a good idea to be patient with a new genre show -- to expect that the first, ohh, half-dozen episodes are made to appease the network and it's the later episodes that are made to satisfy the audience. We may not have seen the true potential of this show yet.

(heck.. way back in Buffy about the only really attractive people were Gellar, Boreanaz and Carpenter, the rest were pretty much average looking people which i find preferable when it comes to heroes).
I think you're giving Anthony Stewart Head too little credit. I recall hearing that female Buffy fans found him quite the sex symbol; and before BTVS he was known for appearing in a popular series of romance-themed coffee commercials.

And what about Seth Green, James Marsters, Juliet Landau, Amber Benson, Emma Caulfield, Marc Blucas, Michelle Trachtenberg, Clare Kramer, Eliza Dushku, Alexis Denisof, Mercedes McNab, etc.? There were a lot of really good-looking people on that show.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30 2013, 06:48 PM   #1305
Lonemagpie
Writer

Christopher wrote: View Post
So I've learned that it's a good idea to be patient with a new genre show -- to expect that the first, ohh, half-dozen episodes are made to appease the network and it's the later episodes that are made to satisfy the audience. We may not have seen the true potential of this show yet.
The problem isn't that us fans aren't giving it a chance, but that the suits will the ratings plummet and... well, that's that.

(heck.. way back in Buffy about the only really attractive people were Gellar, Boreanaz and Carpenter, the rest were pretty much average looking people which i find preferable when it comes to heroes).
Can't say I found any of those three particularly attractive - Landau, Dushku, Hannigan, yes...

Blog- http://lonemagpie.livejournal.com
Lonemagpie is offline   Reply With Quote