RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,686
Members: 24,830
Currently online: 391
Newest member: Old Man 51

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old October 26 2013, 02:23 AM   #1186
Christopher
Writer

Re: Agents of SHIELD. Season 1 Discussion Thread

^Interesting. They can't use Norman Osborn, but they can use his right-hand woman -- perhaps taking his role in the story.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26 2013, 02:43 AM   #1187
DEWLine
Fleet Captain

Send a message via AIM to DEWLine Send a message via Yahoo to DEWLine

As Alexander Pierce's right hand instead?

Dwight Williams
Illustrator/Writer
DEWLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26 2013, 02:45 AM   #1188
DEWLine
Fleet Captain

Send a message via AIM to DEWLine Send a message via Yahoo to DEWLine

Interesting that they should give Redford's character that name, by the by, considering the Cinema'Verse and 616 versions of Pierce are...well, if they met, they'd likely disagree on a great many things...or perhaps passionately disagree on a very few. :-)

Dwight Williams
Illustrator/Writer

Last edited by DEWLine; October 26 2013 at 02:46 AM. Reason: Rethinking characterizations and history
DEWLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26 2013, 03:04 AM   #1189
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

Christopher wrote: View Post
^Interesting. They can't use Norman Osborn, but they can use his right-hand woman -- perhaps taking his role in the story.
Hand falls under the Avengers' umbrella not Spider-Man's, so she's not connected to that character in spite of who her boss is.
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26 2013, 04:07 AM   #1190
Christopher
Writer

^Yes, I understand the legalities of it. I just find it interesting the way it works out.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26 2013, 04:16 AM   #1191
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

So is she going to clip in a scarlet weave extension, or buy a pottle of dye?

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 26 2013, 04:20 AM   #1192
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

Only her hairdresser knows for sure.
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26 2013, 06:09 AM   #1193
Gryffindorian
Vice Admiral

I thought I read somewhere that they usually count DVR recordings when tallying up the ratings. I don't know how they do this, let alone determine the demographics of people watching a particular TV show on a given night.

As for the origin of superpowers, besides mutation, I don't see any problem with gamma ray exposure. It's not like it's the only source of superhuman abilities in the MCU. But I would like to see the show explore more origins; e.g., alien technology, nanotechnology, bionic implants, supergenius intellect, perhaps even supernatural sources of power.
Old October 26 2013, 06:16 AM   #1194
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Logically the dvr is plugged into the Nielson Box in the house of the Nielson family and it records that information too... You would think to save time that the modern Nielson boxes would have built in DVRs except that really would skew the data since people who do not have DVRs, who cannot timeshift, have to be represented as well.

Last edited by Guy Gardener; October 26 2013 at 06:53 AM.
Old October 26 2013, 06:24 AM   #1195
Gryffindorian
Vice Admiral

Oh, right. The Nielsen box. I almost forgot that episode of Family Guy when the Griffins tried to screw with TV ratings.
Old October 26 2013, 07:01 AM   #1196
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

A friend living in the states, was complaining that she had to pay extra to plug her dvr into her cable box.

It knows.

Your cable company (who don't use Nielsons, and instead get %100 accurate data rather than 1 Nielson Family representing proportionately 30,000 other households, because their modern cable boxes in your home report the complete complexity of your habits back to the cable company) is watching you.

Old October 26 2013, 02:34 PM   #1197
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

Pavonis wrote: View Post
davejames wrote: View Post
With how much the show costs, I don't think they can afford to keep it around with just a small, Fringe-level audience. And that seems to be the direction it's heading in.
Costs? Disney? Disney's practically made out of money. They could afford to make AoS for years without worrying about whether anyone watched it.
Except their shareholders would probably get upset far sooner than that. The goal of a business is not to be profitable, it's to be more profitable.

I hope the ratings stabilize at numbers that ABC can live with. While it needs to stand on its own, it has other advantages through soft marketing that helps Disney indirectly.
Old October 26 2013, 03:38 PM   #1198
Shawnster
Fleet Captain

Guy Gardener wrote: View Post
Logically the dvr is plugged into the Nielson Box in the house of the Nielson family and it records that information too... You would think to save time that the modern Nielson boxes would have built in DVRs except that really would skew the data since people who do not have DVRs, who cannot timeshift, have to be represented as well.

There is a time limit on DVR watching and Nielson ratings. I'm not sure if it is an entire week or not, but you only have a limited time after initial airing to watch DVR and get counted.
Shawnster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26 2013, 03:53 PM   #1199
Relayer1
Commodore

I'm seeing cancellation in the future for AoS. The sad thing is, I don't think I'd miss it...
Old October 26 2013, 04:13 PM   #1200
The Old Mixer
Vice Admiral

I think it depends on what sort of a role they envision it playing in the greater MCU series. If it serves a distinct purpose, they'll keep it around because the larger franchise is such a success. They didn't bail on the "Avengers Initiative" after TIH underperformed, because Iron Man's success made up for it.