Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Takei Has Growth Removed
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12

New Wizkids Attack Wing Ships
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old October 25 2013, 12:24 PM   #1171
The Old Mixer
Vice Admiral

Re: Agents of SHIELD. Season 1 Discussion Thread

Sometimes my body booties a blow a little too quickly. I know, TMI....
Old October 25 2013, 01:28 PM   #1172
Turtletrekker
Vice Admiral

The Dead Mixer wrote: View Post
Sometimes my body booties a blow a little too quickly. I know, TMI....
Really? So much for sleeping tonight...
Old October 25 2013, 01:37 PM   #1173
Christopher
Writer

Corran Horn wrote: View Post
Christopher wrote: View Post
Sure, it can be both, but how shallow and mercenary would it be to make a show that had no other purpose except to be an extended commercial for the movies? That's a ghastly notion.
Aren't you a fan of Power Rangers? Aren't those just toy commercials when you get down to it?
Okay, that's a point. But in terms of story, they're self-contained and have their own arcs. It's more of a symbiotic relationship between the shows that help sell the toys and the toys that help fund the shows.

I just think that a story should be complete and meaningful within itself. If a story doesn't work without reference some other story, then it's incomplete. Cross-reference to a different story should be a bonus. It shouldn't be "the point" of the entire project. Yes, Agents of SHIELD is meant to interrelate with the movies, but it's meant to be a worthwhile addition to the whole in its own right. It doesn't exist for the exclusive purpose of shilling the movies.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25 2013, 05:14 PM   #1174
Reverend
Rear Admiral

It's still early days yet and the show is still trading on it's links to the movies to keep the casual viewers interested. Hopefully by the end of the season it will have found it's own footing and built up it's own lore so as to not need to rely so much on the films.

Indeed I fully anticipate that if/when that happens, people will gripe that they don't reference the films enough anymore.
Reverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25 2013, 08:05 PM   #1175
LaxScrutiny
Commodore

SelishLigielo02 wrote: View Post
The activity of the animal beings has become acutely active everywhere on this earth. Bodies do not get time to booty a blow for a while. With the accretion use of altered gadgets of Gps Jammer, the possibilities of accepting the aboriginal of blow accept absolutely finished. The adaptable phones or the corpuscle phones are some of these accessories that accumulate the bodies consistently in blow with the alfresco world. The adaptable building are additionally accessible about everywhere these canicule and due to this the accessibility of the Cell Phone Jammer has become alike added quick and authentic. Today, you cannot break out of ability of these adaptable building as their signals can bolt your about anywhere. The bearings of bodies who accord to altered business professions has become actual analytical of wifi jammer as their authorities bolt them anywhere any moment.
This is only true if one is void of slack.
LaxScrutiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25 2013, 10:23 PM   #1176
davejames
Vice Admiral

Reverend wrote: View Post
It's still early days yet and the show is still trading on it's links to the movies to keep the casual viewers interested. Hopefully by the end of the season it will have found it's own footing and built up it's own lore so as to not need to rely so much on the films.
Unfortunately by the time it gets to that point, the ratings will have already sunk too low for it to matter. At least judging by how fast they're dropping right now with every episode...
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25 2013, 10:37 PM   #1177
Shazam!
Rear Admiral

They need to dump Skye although they seem to have some grand plan for her so I can't see that happening : (
Shazam! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25 2013, 10:43 PM   #1178
Pavonis
Commodore

Networks are too fast to dump shows that perform below their expectations. Not only that, but are they accurately counting viewers? Is AoS really doing less well every episode, or did it start high from the hype, and is now settling towards realistic viewership? Especially when most people will end up delaying their viewing until later, sometimes days later.

Besides, ABC is owned by Disney, who owns Marvel. Why would Disney let AoS get canceled, when it is a perfect vehicle for promoting their other products? If anyone can get this show to develop its own lore and have its own identity, I think it's Whedon. The suits just need to give it a chance.
Pavonis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25 2013, 10:49 PM   #1179
davejames
Vice Admiral

I agree the Disney connection will probably keep it on the air longer than it otherwise might. But even with DVR numbers added in, the ratings are still dropping a lot more than they should (at least from everything I've read), and I'm not sure how long the network will be able to overlook that.

With how much the show costs, I don't think they can afford to keep it around with just a small, Fringe-level audience. And that seems to be the direction it's heading in.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26 2013, 01:28 AM   #1180
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

stj wrote: View Post
SHIELD is admirable because it's against change?
I'm not convinced that Wheddon is showing SHIELD to be admirable. Well-intentioned, perhaps, but he seems to clearly be laying themes of SHIELD often being destructive and harmful (bad in the name of the greater good).
Old October 26 2013, 01:33 AM   #1181
Pavonis
Commodore

davejames wrote: View Post
With how much the show costs, I don't think they can afford to keep it around with just a small, Fringe-level audience. And that seems to be the direction it's heading in.
Costs? Disney? Disney's practically made out of money. They could afford to make AoS for years without worrying about whether anyone watched it.
Pavonis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26 2013, 01:49 AM   #1182
Christopher
Writer

Alidar Jarok wrote: View Post
I'm not convinced that Wheddon is showing SHIELD to be admirable. Well-intentioned, perhaps, but he seems to clearly be laying themes of SHIELD often being destructive and harmful (bad in the name of the greater good).
Oh, absolutely. From the start, the series has been questioning SHIELD's methods and integrity -- not as overtly yet as The Avengers did, but there are hints that those questions will be a major thread in the season (particularly since it was just reported that the season will be building up to the events of Captain America: The Winter Soldier, which looks to be confronting those questions even more directly).

Pavonis wrote: View Post
Costs? Disney? Disney's practically made out of money. They could afford to make AoS for years without worrying about whether anyone watched it.
On the other hand, rich people generally don't get rich by tossing money away profligately, but by being stingy with it.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26 2013, 01:50 AM   #1183
DEWLine
Fleet Captain

Send a message via AIM to DEWLine Send a message via Yahoo to DEWLine

Yeah. I think we underestimate Disney's capacity for patience. They haven't lasted this long by pulling the plug prematurely.

Dwight Williams
Illustrator/Writer
DEWLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26 2013, 01:54 AM   #1184
DEWLine
Fleet Captain

Send a message via AIM to DEWLine Send a message via Yahoo to DEWLine

Thanks to Big Boo re: that orphanage file. Do we have anything similar re: Chan's files?

Dwight Williams
Illustrator/Writer
DEWLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26 2013, 02:18 AM   #1185
Turtletrekker
Vice Admiral

The comics character Victoria Hand is coming to "Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D."