Trek 3 To Being Shooting Next Year
By: T'Bonz on Sep 19

Trek Messenger Bag
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

Star Trek Live In Concert In Australia
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

IDW Publishing December Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Sep 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old October 14 2013, 12:46 AM   #856
Turtletrekker
Vice Admiral

Re: Agents of SHIELD. Season 1 Discussion Thread

This early review for "Eye Spy" suggests the establishing of a big bad of some sort. Slight spoilers...

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2013/10/...d-1-4-eye-spy/

If they are connected to the recurring threat from "Pilot" and "Girl in the Flower Dress", then that will make 3 of the first 5 episodes building them up. Plus another that established a recurring villain.

As for "The fall of HYDRA", well "Cut off one head, and two more will take its place".
Old October 14 2013, 12:53 AM   #857
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

The Fall of Hydra (combined with taking refuge in Latin America) was a direct reference to the fall of Nazi Germany. Whether Hydra is entirely eradicated I suppose is something to wait and see on, but I think the idea is that they fell when Germany fell.
Old October 14 2013, 01:17 AM   #858
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

Turtletrekker wrote: View Post
This early review for "Eye Spy" suggests the establishing of a big bad of some sort. Slight spoilers...

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2013/10/...d-1-4-eye-spy/

If they are connected to the recurring threat from "Pilot" and "Girl in the Flower Dress", then that will make 3 of the first 5 episodes building them up. Plus another that established a recurring villain.

As for "The fall of HYDRA", well "Cut off one head, and two more will take its place".
Yep. They need to bring in Baron Von Strucker.
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14 2013, 01:29 AM   #859
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

And Zemo.

It's really amazing the happy sentiments I have toward Hemlut Zemo after tucking a decade of Thunderbolts under my belt.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 14 2013, 02:07 AM   #860
Christopher
Writer

Alidar Jarok wrote: View Post
Yeah, Buffy set the standard that has been followed with others in a quasi-serialized setting ...
I think Babylon 5 was actually the show that pioneered the hybrid episodic/serial format with planned season-long arcs. Other shows had added serialization before then, Hill Street Blues being the pioneering case (along with nighttime soaps like Dallas), but B5's innovation was treating each season as a distinct "novel" with a cohesive story arc resolved in the season finale (and escalating things for the next season).

Turtletrekker wrote: View Post
I think that it would hilarious if Stan Lee did a cameo as... himself. "Stan Lee: Legendary creator of such fictional Marvel super-heroes as Spider-Man, The X-Men and the Fantastic Four!"
Heck, it's always been an established fact of the Marvel Comics universe that Marvel Comics and its creators exist within that universe and publish comics about the real superheroes that inhabit it. Cf. Lee and Kirby being refused entry to Reed and Sue's wedding, or Claremont and Byrne looking on as the X-Men go into action and discussing how they'd better get back to the office to write down what they just saw (or something like that). Jennifer (She-Hulk) Walters has actually used issues of Marvel publications as evidence in legal cases involving their characters. (I'm not sure how the secret-identity issue is dealt with. Presumably the versions of, say, Spider-Man or Daredevil comics published within the MU aren't exactly the same as the ones we read in the real world.)

So they could just as easily have Lee be the publisher of comics based on the real-life adventures of Iron Man, Thor, Captain America, etc. Although, well, most of the MCU characters are recent arrivals in the world, so maybe he just did Captain America comics (I think we saw some real Golden Age Cap comics covers at a newsstand in the movie, so those are part of the MCU, at least) and maybe Human Torch comics (the '40s android one).

JD wrote: View Post
Except Hydra is (apparently) gone. In the second episode, Coulson's ex made a reference to the fall of Hydra. I wouldn't be surprised if it turned out the just went underground, but as far as anyone knows they're not an issue anymore.
In the comics, Advanced Idea Mechanics originated as the special-weapons branch of HYDRA. And we know AIM exists in the MCU.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14 2013, 02:29 AM   #861
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

AIM "seemed" to originate without any stoking from Hydra.

Fall of Hydra seemed to be an indicator to merit the end of World War 2, more so than it's specialized collapse predating or postdating the fall of the Third Reich.

It's just a question of if Hydra persisted past the death of the Red Skull and Captain America.

Old October 14 2013, 02:55 AM   #862
theenglish
Rear Admiral

JD wrote: View Post
Except Hydra is (apparently) gone. In the second episode, Coulson's ex made a reference to the fall of Hydra. I wouldn't be surprised if it turned out the just went underground, but as far as anyone knows they're not an issue anymore.
HYDRA is already set to appear in the Captain America movie, so they are far from gone.
theenglish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14 2013, 02:58 AM   #863
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

One. Just because it fell, it doesn't mean that it couldn't have bounced.

Two. Cut one head off, two more grow back.

Old October 14 2013, 02:59 AM   #864
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

Guy Gardener wrote: View Post
One. Just because it fell, it doesn't mean that it couldn't have bounced.

Two. Cut one head off, two more grow back.
But enough about your sex life!
Old October 14 2013, 03:50 AM   #865
Nick Ryder
Fleet Captain

I'm kind of hoping that eventually we'll start to see more of the groups and organizations from the comics just obviously adapted to fit the MCU. I suppose they wanted a few episodes to let the cast have a chance to get their feet wet before they start devoting screen time to building up the bad guys - after all with only what? About 120-ish minutes of screen time to get the main cast introduced and give them some time to do something - if they would have started building the bad guys up too much too early, we'd be getting like 20 minutes of bad guys and about 20 minutes of the good guys to try and like them.
Old October 14 2013, 06:17 AM   #866
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

I'm just waiting for the Season 3 episode that follows around a Hydra team trying to grab the Alien tech before Coulsen's squad.

Old October 14 2013, 07:03 AM   #867
sojourner
Admiral

^"Cops" shaky cam style?
Old October 14 2013, 07:34 AM   #868
Asbo Zaprudder
Rear Admiral

I'm just glad it's not as bad as Torchwood.
Old October 14 2013, 01:25 PM   #869
Forbin
Admiral

Guy Gardener wrote: View Post
So what the two of you are saying is that if someone else who is not the two of you wants to make a constant 60 minute block in the week to have a steamy extramarital affair, all they have to do is show the wife Marvel Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. and that they are sorted with 60 minutes of complete abandoned freedom to play around inside of?

Really?

really?

Because that's not cool.
Well, I'll still be in the house. Just downstairs in my workshop watching. So you'll have to be vewwy quiet.
Forbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14 2013, 03:07 PM   #870
Vendikarr
Rear Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Vendikarr

The Dead Mixer wrote: View Post
Don't know if somebody's already brought this up, but regarding the Coulson/LMD theory, wouldn't it tie in nicely with the established MCU (and his fixation with old things) if he turned out to be Phineas Horton's synthetic man...?
Post 442
"They have to help the viewers let go. Firefly did a movie to wrap things up. Buffy the Vampire Slayer continued on as a comic book. Heroes gradually lowered the quality season by season until we were grateful it ended.” - Sheldon Cooper
Vendikarr is offline   Reply With Quote