Trek 3 To Being Shooting Next Year
By: T'Bonz on Sep 19

Trek Messenger Bag
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

Star Trek Live In Concert In Australia
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

IDW Publishing December Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Sep 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old October 12 2013, 06:04 PM   #826
Nine of Four
Commander

Re: Agents of SHIELD. Season 1 Discussion Thread

***SPOILER***

Based on the easter egg at the end of episode 3, am I the only one who thinks Dr. Hall is going to come back super OP??
Old October 12 2013, 06:08 PM   #827
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

Boo of Four wrote: View Post
***SPOILER***

Based on the easter egg at the end of episode 3, am I the only one who thinks Dr. Hall is going to come back super OP??
It's just you. Such an idea is preposterous.

The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 12 2013, 06:42 PM   #828
sojourner
Admiral

***SPOILER***

NOOO!!!!
Old October 12 2013, 08:31 PM   #829
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

***SPOILER***

I don't know what "super OP" is, but Dr. Hall, in the comics, is a super-villain called "Graviton" with complete mastery over gravity.
Old October 12 2013, 08:48 PM   #830
Timelord Victorious
TARDIS Janitor

OP: Over-Powered
Timelord Victorious is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 13 2013, 12:01 AM   #831
Ethros
Vice Admiral

Apart from this Shield ep I'm only familiar with Graviton from the first few eps of Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes s1.

Is Graviton a recurring villain in the Marvel universe? Seems to me Magneto is often seen as a definite A-list bad guy (sometimes good guy) who's a huge threat in the MU... yet he can just control metal. Whereas Graviton could pretty much just do anything, control anything. I just kinda wondered why I'd never heard of him before. Someone that powerful shouldn't just be a minor villain
Ethros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13 2013, 12:30 AM   #832
intrinsical
Fleet Captain

Lonemagpie wrote: View Post
Episode 3... That was a Leverage episode, really, but with less wit, rather than a Marvel show, IMO.
I'm not getting the connection to Leverage. They didn't steal anything or con anyone.
Old October 13 2013, 12:36 AM   #833
sojourner
Admiral

Ethros wrote: View Post
Apart from this Shield ep I'm only familiar with Graviton from the first few eps of Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes s1.

Is Graviton a recurring villain in the Marvel universe? Seems to me Magneto is often seen as a definite A-list bad guy (sometimes good guy) who's a huge threat in the MU... yet he can just control metal. Whereas Graviton could pretty much just do anything, control anything. I just kinda wondered why I'd never heard of him before. Someone that powerful shouldn't just be a minor villain

sometimes it's more about the character than the powers. Also, if none of the writers at marvel do anything with the guy, well than he won't ever make the A-list.
Old October 13 2013, 12:37 AM   #834
DEWLine
Fleet Captain

Send a message via AIM to DEWLine Send a message via Yahoo to DEWLine

Graviton's been at the high end of the "B-list" despite the nature of his powers for a long time, and a recurrent foe of first the Avengers and later the Busiek/Nicieza-era Thunderbolts.

Dwight Williams
Illustrator/Writer
DEWLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13 2013, 02:16 AM   #835
Morpheus 02
Commodore

Ethros wrote: View Post
22 episodes, really? Its not 1995 anymore. All that says to me is "lots of filler crap coming your way."

13 standard, 16 or so max, we don't need more than that, not nowadays. The only show left I watch with 22 is Supernatural, and god the last two seasons have had soooo much filler.

With the way a lot of people watch TV shows now (after the season/s are done, via dvd, netflix, illegal internet, whatever) I'd say 22 actually puts people off. I know a friend of mine was put off BSG for a while because of its 20 episode seasons (2, 3, and sort of 4 anyway)

Breaking Bad
The Wire
The Sopranos
True Blood
The Walking Dead
American Horror Story
Dexter
Boardwalk Empire
Homeland
Mad Men

22 episode season? Fuck that.

It depends pm the quality of the show and the story that needs to be told.

Korean Historical Dramas usually START at 50,and have gone to 100 to 200 episodes, and been just as intriguing.

But since they are based on history, they don't have to pad it as much as elaborate on actual events.
Morpheus 02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13 2013, 02:42 AM   #836
theenglish
Rear Admiral

Shorter seasons work well for seriels or shows that are strongly arc based. I don't consider well-written stand alone episodes to be filler at all. Many shows have used season arcs but also included outstanding individual episodes.
theenglish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 13 2013, 05:49 AM   #837
JD
Admiral

I don't understand the reaction to the show having 22 episodes. Almost every show on the networks have at least 20 episodes. A lot of the popular cable shows are even starting to have close to 20 episodes a lot of the time now.
Old October 13 2013, 10:23 AM   #838
Lonemagpie
Writer

intrinsical wrote: View Post
Lonemagpie wrote: View Post
Episode 3... That was a Leverage episode, really, but with less wit, rather than a Marvel show, IMO.
I'm not getting the connection to Leverage. They didn't steal anything or con anyone.
I'm just thinking a general vibe- Skye with the earbud infiltrating the guy's office, pretend (or is it) double-cross... Not a specific plotline

Blog- http://lonemagpie.livejournal.com
Lonemagpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13 2013, 11:07 AM   #839
Wereghost
Commodore

theenglish wrote: View Post
Shorter seasons work well for seriels or shows that are strongly arc based. I don't consider well-written stand alone episodes to be filler at all. Many shows have used season arcs but also included outstanding individual episodes.
Season three of Buffy is the gold standard for this kind of thing, IMHO, with the main season arc existing mainly as a slow burn in the background of some early episodes, interspersed with the occasional pivotal episode and undergoing a gain in momentum as the season progressed. As such it made a virtue of the season length (22 episodes). I'll be surprised if this approach isn't taken in Agents Of SHIELD.
Old October 13 2013, 02:01 PM   #840
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

Yeah, Buffy set the standard that has been followed with others in a quasi-serialized setting (notably with the new Doctor Who, but also with shows like Burn Notice that usually had a more overt ongoing plot at the beginning and end of episodes before a stand alone episode in the middle).

That being said, while there's certainly two ongoing character plots (with Skye and Coulson), there doesn't really seem to be an ongoing bad guy or threat just yet that's been hinted at in more than one episode.